Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical: Brissett and our 4th Rounder to Miami for pick #48. Possible? If so, who do you pick?

As crazy as this sounds, I think that’s JB’s value. To answer the question: Jeffery Simmons.

Look at other top picks injured before the draft. Jaylon Smith, Sidney Jones, and they were both picked in the early to mid second round. If we trade JB, that is absolutely who we should target with that pick

• Like 6

I'd rather package him with more for their first or a future first. I don't see moving our 4th round up to have another top 50 pick being more valuable than hanging on to him a little longer. Ballard loves the value he brings to the team as a backup and to the locker room. He's more valuable intrinsically than what he realistically can bring in a trade. If there is a trade made, it will likely shock most of us as someone will have ponied up. 

To answer your question, I'd take the highest receiver left on the board. I think there will be several big time receivers go in the 40-50 range of this draft. Just a hunch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'd rather package him with more for their first or a future first. I don't see moving our 4th round up to have another top 50 pick being more valuable than hanging on to him a little longer. Ballard loves the value he brings to the team as a backup and to the locker room. He's more valuable intrinsically than what he realistically can bring in a trade. If there is a trade made, it will likely shock most of us as someone will have ponied up. 

To answer your question, I'd take the highest receiver left on the board. I think there will be several big time receivers go in the 40-50 range of this draft. Just a hunch.

They are rebuilding. So they will be looking to add 1st rd draft picks.

2 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Hypothetical:  Brissett and our 4th Rounder to Miami for pick #48.  Possible?  If so, who do you pick?

And with the #48 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select...

I posed that same offer in the last couple days.
 How about Yodney Cajuste. T W. Virginia

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

They are rebuilding. So they will be looking to add 1st rd draft picks.

And they can look elsewhere to add a qb. As @richard pallo said above, they are calling us. We don't have to entertain them. If it's a good starting point in negotiations, we can work with that. What would it take to get their 1st? Everyone has a price. If Ballard thinks there will be a few big time defensive line players on the board where Miami is at, do you think he is willing to give a little to get there? Depends on the value he is putting on players, and the gamble he is willing to take. 

In my opinion, he won't gamble with Brissett. It will be either us getting incredible value out of him or us keeping him. I still think he'll make a move or two to acquire some draft capital or value in the draft. He's already proved the ability and interest in doing that several times in his young career. 

• Like 1

Since this is a hypothetical, and not much Colts news these days......you can actually use the NFL draft value chart, to see what Brissett would be worth (In your trade scenario)

Again.... IF... IF Miami actually has interest

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldraftvalue/

Per the chart

Our 4th round pick is worth 142 pts

The 48th pick is worth 420 pts

The DIFFERENCE is 278 pts

That would put the NET "value" for Brissett at a 2nd round 31st pick

In my book he is worth it.

But.....

Lets lower the pick, as most posters dont hold Brissett with that type of value

Lets say that we offer a 4th next year, and our 4th this year. (Along with Brissett)

Supposedly, using the chart, next years pick would be worth a middle pick for the next round ...... (15th pick of the FIFTH round, value or  34.5 points, based on a 4th round future pick)

Our 4th round pick (This year) 142 points

Value of 4th pick next year - 34.5 points

Total trade value - 176.5

The NET value for Brissett would be 420-176.5 = 243.5

Going to the chart.......  This makes Brissett "worth"   an early 3rd

Why would you go to the trouble of this?

My personal belief, is that there is a future Colts starter sitting at pick 48

There will be a VERY SOLID LB, SS, CB, WR, OT sitting there to pick

I would LOVE to get Miami's 48 pick........  And even if we give up Brissett, AND picks (If the picks arent too onerous)........... I would keep adding later round choices to add up

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Exodus said:

As crazy as this sounds, I think that’s JB’s value. To answer the question: Jeffery Simmons.

Look at other top picks injured before the draft. Jaylon Smith, Sidney Jones, and they were both picked in the early to mid second round. If we trade JB, that is absolutely who we should target with that pick

I'd be all over that trade and pick 

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And they can look elsewhere to add a qb. As @richard pallo said above, they are calling us. We don't have to entertain them. If it's a good starting point in negotiations, we can work with that. What would it take to get their 1st? Everyone has a price. If Ballard thinks there will be a few big time defensive line players on the board where Miami is at, do you think he is willing to give a little to get there? Depends on the value he is putting on players, and the gamble he is willing to take. 

In my opinion, he won't gamble with Brissett. It will be either us getting incredible value out of him or us keeping him. I still think he'll make a move or two to acquire some draft capital or value in the draft. He's already proved the ability and interest in doing that several times in his young career. 

IMO you clearly are not Getting Ballard.
 He isn't a Gambler.
 What you are labeling as "incredible value" is actually just value. No less, no more.
  No he won't pay the price through draft picks to move to 13.
There is too much value in draft picks when he is picking HIS guys.
  And yes i would expect him to try to move up a little bit starting with pick 59 if he thinks he might miss on a much favored player. Possibly even pick 34.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

IMO you clearly are not Getting Ballard.
 He isn't a Gambler.
 What you are labeling as "incredible value" is actually just value. No less, no more.
  No he won't pay the price through draft picks to move to 13.
There is too much value in draft picks when he is picking HIS guys.
  And yes i would expect him to try to move up a little bit starting with pick 59 if he thinks he might miss on a much favored player. Possibly even pick 34.

I'm not getting Ballard? Lol. What did I say that EVER labeled him as a gambler? Please do share. What I said was that he wouldn't gamble trading away Brissett whom he values highly... You clearly don't get him if you think Brissett is just of average value to him. He's made it very clear in his comments how much he values a proven/solid backup to Andrew Luck in Jacoby Brissett. He went as far to say he values him at a first round pick. That is INCREDIBLE value to me...

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He's made it very clear in his comments how much he values a proven/solid backup to Andrew Luck in Jacoby Brissett. He went as far to say he values him at a first round pick. That is INCREDIBLE value to me...

While I agree with you..... The part I quoted you is EXACTLY what you say when you want the best return possible in case anyone wants to propose a trade for your experienced, young, backup QB.....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think it would be interesting to offer the Dolphins Jacoby Brissett and #26 for #13.

Both teams win. 

I would like that pick but if you do the math, that means that Brissett is worth a mid 2nd round

(450)

At this point, a  3rd round pick may be the best that we can get for Brissett, even up. 

If I am Miami, I am not giving up a first round mid teen pick

If there is a WILL,there will be a way............  Many options

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would like that pick but if you do the math, that means that Brissett is worth a mid 2nd round

(450)

At this point, a  3rd round pick may be the best that we can get for Brissett, even up. 

If I am Miami, I am not giving up a first round mid teen pick

If there is a WILL,there will be a way............  Many options

I don't think a second round value is out of the question at all. In fact, I think it's the right value. 

Trading Brissett and our #26 for the Dolphins #13 makes sense because Jacoby is a free agent after this year, and barring another injury to Andrew... I don't even want to think it... But barring an injury then Jacoby will not be useful to us after this year. 

I think the Dolphins might love this deal because at #13, they really are not in good range for a top quarterback and it would cost too much in the long run. Instead, the Dolphins can slide back 13 spots, give Brissett a year (on a 2.02 million dollar deal) to show them what he has, and if it goes south then they lose very little. If Brissett is a hit then they just got a quarterback very cheap.

Plus, if we get a real offer to let the kid start somewhere then we need let him loose.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think a second round value is out of the question at all. In fact, I think it's the right value. 

Trading Brissett and our #26 for the Dolphins #13 makes sense because Jacoby is a free agent after this year, and barring another injury to Andrew... I don't even want to think it... But barring an injury then Jacoby will not be useful to us after this year. 

I think the Dolphins might love this deal because at #13, they really are not in good range for a top quarterback and it would cost too much in the long run. Instead, the Dolphins can slide back 13 spots, give Brissett a year (on a 2.02 million dollar deal) to show them what he has, and if it goes south then they lose very little. If Brissett is a hit then they just got a quarterback very cheap.

Plus, if we get a real offer to let the kid start somewhere then we need let him loose.

This trade is intriguing. The Colts moving up to 13 gives them a genuine shot at an impact DT or DE, which is what they are looking for. The Dolphins remain in the first round, keep all their other picks, and get a starting QB. Both teams DO win. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

While I agree with you..... The part I quoted you is EXACTLY what you say when you want the best return possible in case anyone wants to propose a trade for your experienced, young, backup QB.....

And I agree... But he's also willing to walk away with nothing but Brissett still on the roster, which puts him at the top of every bit of leverage in any trade negotiations. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

If the Dolphins just sit still at 13, they may get the QB they actually want, If I am the Dolphins, and my QB is on the board at 13...... I am pulling the trigger 

If there is a run on QBs, and the Dolphins have few options, maybe they trade with us....  

I would RATHER trade to the LATE teens

One of the 3, Burns, Sweat, or Polite, SHOULD still be sitting there

ANY of these 3 would help our team

At 26, its mush less of a chance

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

If the Dolphins just sit still at 13, they may get the QB they actually want, If I am the Dolphins, and my QB is on the board at 13...... I am pulling the trigger 

If there is a run on QBs, and the Dolphins have few options, maybe they trade with us....  

I would RATHER trade to the LATE teens

One of the 3, Burns, Sweat, or Polite, SHOULD still be sitting there

ANY of these 3 would help our team

At 26, its mush less of a chance

This is obviously something both teams would have in their back pockets on draft day. You want to see where the chips fall. 

Being able to get any kind of compensation for Jacoby would be a win for the Colts before he leaves in 2020. But, Ballard obviously would need to have a backup plan behind Luck already in place before making such a move. I think the Colts will draft someone that Luck can mentor and guide rather than sign a veteran.

• Like 1