Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Watching Edelman in SB 53

Looking at how Ballard has assembled the receiving Corp over the last 2 years, it appears that he’s more of a height + speed guy. Just about everyone he’s brought in has been 6 feet or taller.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/2/1/18206210/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-wide-receiver-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

I personally believe that for Reich’s quick passing, ball retention offense, a receiver with lateral quickness who can get open immediately is more valuable than a straight line speed guy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Has me hoping the Colts draft Andy Isabella, UMass.

The shiftiness. The route running. The YAC. 

Yeah man, we need a slot and an X to compliment TY. I'd love to have Deebo or Marquise Brown as our X guy (I don't buy that they have to be 7'4" to be effective) and either Golden Tate or Isabella to work out of the slot. Let the way Reich features the TEs be the height in the passing attack. Give Luck those weapons, with the way we're building the line, look out!

• Like 2

Have to give credit when it’s due. Edelman is a great player he’s always getting separation but Brady throws the ball where it needs to be almost all the time. They’re a very tough combination to beat. I mean Brady is 41 and Edelman will be 33 beginning next year. I thought this was the year Father Time would catch up with them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I hate Edelman as a person but he's the kind of WR Andrew Luck needs.

I think the pats have a class on how to become an arrogant classless jerk on the first day they get signed on their team. None of them have any humility or class imho. Smug looking jerks, every one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Edelman is a system player. Last time his contract expired they let him test FA and he re-signed once he saw how low other teams were on him. Edelman is overrated. Remember that once upon a time everyone wanted to find the next Wes Welker.

I wouldn't call him a system player. IMO he is one of the most technically sound players in the league, especially when it comes to his footwork. You won't see him misstep or having to waste time regathering his balance or do unnecessary fakes during routes. He understands better than most that it's not about getting open but about getting open fast and being ready to catch the ball the moment the qb looks at you. He doesn't allow CBs to regain position and that makes him dangerous.

For FA you have to look from the viewpoint of coaches. When they see Edelmann they see a guy whose athletic profile is easy to get via draft or udfa and they feel that don't need to spend top dollar on a technique guy because they are good coaches and will coach the pick or udfa to Edelmanns level. 

Top FA is, like the top of the draft, all about potential

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Edelman is a system player. Last time his contract expired they let him test FA and he re-signed once he saw how low other teams were on him. Edelman is overrated. Remember that once upon a time everyone wanted to find the next Wes Welker.

Ya... Welker went to Denver and played just as good..

Idk if Edelman is a system player, but he finds weak spots in the D and exploits them. He jukes well. He gets YAC. All of those things I've seen Isabella do as well. Although Isabella is A Lot faster straight-line and just as quick.

11 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Looking at how Ballard has assembled the receiving Corp over the last 2 years, it appears that he’s more of a height + speed guy. Just about everyone he’s brought in has been 6 feet or taller.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/2/1/18206210/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-wide-receiver-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

I personally believe that for Reich’s quick passing, ball retention offense, a receiver with lateral quickness who can get open immediately is more valuable than a straight line speed guy.

Underlined... I've noticed Ballard's propensity towards taller players as well. That's the only knock on Isabella. 

Bold... Isabella is both quick and fast. He jukes well which helps him get separation. He has sprinter speed as well.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Disagree he's not a system player.  His route running is 2nd to none and he has great hands and can hold onto the ball while taking a vicious hit.  He looks impossible to cover 1 on 1.  Not because he's faster than everyone or because he's bigger.  But because he's quicker, he can change direction in a split second.  And if a good ball is thrown to him he catches it and hangs on to it no matter how hard you hit him.  

I think the thing that Belichick realized a long time ago was that those abilities matter more than size and speed and he could move the ball down the field on the back of 7 yard timing routes.  

• Like 2

How on earth did the Broncos stop them with Wade Philips then in 2015? That is right, they had Chris Harris Jr., one of the most underrated CBs in the NFL that played tight man coverage and could keep up. Dan Quinn choked the middle for 3 quarters vs Edelman and the Pats in the Falcons SB by using a slot CB and rotating a LB constantly. Rex Ryan choked the middle again forcing Brady to throw outside the numbers when Brady had Gronk, Hernandez and Welker. 

I think Wade Philips did a masterful job again, but the Rams' offense puked and choked. They are not this unstoppable machine if you devote resources. Edelman and James White force death by a thousand paper cuts, and if that is their bread and butter, force Brady to take bigger chunks. Gronk has worn down to the point that I could put a physical guy like Talib, Vontae Davis or Desir and limit his production while doubling Edelman and devoting a CB to James White.  That would leave Hogan and Dorsett 1-on-1 all the time but that is a chance I am willing to take.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would be thrilled to have the next Wes Welker.

• Like 2

99.99% of NFL players are on PEDs, that's common sense.

If a relatively short and small 5'10'' 195 lbs player has been suspended for them, I don't want to think what kind of things huge players like Damon Harrison or Ndamukong Suh that can bench 500, squat 1000, and deadlift 1500 lbs have taken.

Probably the same chemicals that turn a 1 pound lobster in to a 5 pound one, before it goes on sale from $15 to $125.

shediac-s-giant-lobster.jpg

On 2/4/2019 at 8:01 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Edelman reminds me of Jarvis Landry. Both guys know how to get open and catch the ball. They always know where the chains are. The difference is one Brady throwing the ball. Edelman’s  game could fit any system. 

• Like 1