Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFC Championship Game rematch?

csmopar

11 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Such a hard one to take for a fanbase, especially after the way they went out last year, but this just makes them look foolish.

At least start a petition to change the rules or something, although that looks to be making progress in any case.

There is actually a rule in place that gives the commissioner the power to do this. I don't think it would be wise to use the rule, but it is there.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wild-nfl-rule-allows-roger-goodell-to-reverse-rams-saints-outcome-but-would-he-actually-use-it/ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coltsva said:

First, we all know it’s not happening. Second, they’d only need to start at the point of the interference. 

You might "know it's not happening", but why does the NFL have a rule on the books giving the commissioner the power to cause the game to be played over. Or to start over from the point of the "extraordinary act". Or even to reverse the game's result?

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/nfl-sued-over-blown-call-during-nfc-championship-game/

19 minutes ago, Roger said:

You might "know it's not happening", but why does the NFL have a rule on the books giving the commissioner the power to cause the game to be played over. Or to start over from the point of the "extraordinary act". Or even to reverse the game's result?

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/nfl-sued-over-blown-call-during-nfc-championship-game/

I would imagine the rule would only be invoked if it was discovered there was gambling or some other reason for the penalty to be deliberately not called by the official(s).

The NFL wants the LA Rams to win the Superbowl so it can gain attention and capture a fanbase in the LA market. 

If the NFL agrees to a rematch they open the door for further scrutiny on their rules and open the door to a team claiming a rematch every year.  

Overall Goodell will not be seen bending the knee for a franchise. He likes the perception that the NFL can do whatever they like.   

5 minutes ago, IrishColt said:

The NFL wants the LA Rams to win the Superbowl so it can gain attention and capture a fanbase in the LA market. 

If the NFL agrees to a rematch they open the door for further scrutiny on their rules and open the door to a team claiming a rematch every year.  

Overall Goodell will not be seen bending the knee for a franchise. He likes the perception that the NFL can do whatever they like.   

He is power-mad.  What better way to demonstrate his power than by an unprecedented act?

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. Well, besides the UCF self proclaimed national champions crap. Saints lost the game because they didn’t capitalize on early RZ opportunities. That game could’ve been over in the first quarter. Excuses galore for losing a game. They didn’t execute when it mattered

I wouldn't mind a forced rematch. If anything will force the NFL to hold officiating to a higher standard and make them come up with a system that where games aren't decided by the discretion of the referees, this would do it. 

If the NFL had to endure the media storm of a Championship rematch there would full time set of field refs, and a set of computer refs monitoring every angle on every play (or something similar). The technology exists and the NFL has the money to do it, there is no reason that bad calls/no calls that affect the outcome of games (even if not as blatant as the Saints no call) should be so prevalent.