Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1000 yard rusher?

CR91

Mack played great yesterday (again).

If there is a hole, he hits it. He gets to the edge fast. He follows blockers with patience. At the goal line he finds that opening and gets low and drives his legs.

Yesterday the Cowboy defense entered the game leading the NFL allowing only 3.6 yds per carry.

Mack had 5.1.

Yesterday the Cowboys entered the game only giving up one rushing TD every two games.

Mack had two rushing TDs.

Yesterday the Cowboys entered the game giving up 6 rushing 1st downs per game.

Mack led the Colt's rushing attack that got 11 rushing 1st downs.

Elliot:     18 Att       87 yards    4.8 ave      24 Long       0 TD

Mack:     27 Att     139 Yards    5.1 ave      21 Long       2 TD

Obviously the run blocking was great......and IMO Marlin Mack made the most of it.

Luck completed just 16 passes and no TDs. The Colts needed the run game, and they got it.......against one of the best run defenses in the NFL.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Mack is interesting. He is feast or famine. Looks like all pro one week, and Trent Richardson the next

I do agree that he is not consistent at breaking tackles (from game to game).  There are some games where it looks like someone just grabs his leg with their hand and he falls.  Maybe he's playing through injury or something.  But yesterday, he looked like a beast!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Mack is interesting. He is feast or famine. Looks like all pro one week, and Trent Richardson the next

Kind of like Ezekiel Elliot:

Week #13 against the Texans -  Mack:     14 Att    33 yds     2.4 ave

Week # 3  against the Texans -  Elliot:      20 Att    54 yds     2.7 ave

Week  #2 against the Redskins  Mack:     10 Att     34 yds     3.4 ave

Week #7  against the Redskins  Elliot :    15 Att     33 yds      2.2 ave

Week #11 against the Titans -     Mack:    16 Att     61 yds     3.8 ave

Week # 9  against the Titans -     Elliot:     17 Att     61 yds     3.6 ave

Elliot has played 4 games where he has averaged over 5 yards per carry.

Mack has played 5 games where he has averaged over 5 yards per carry.

Elliot has 6 rushing TDs

Mack has 7 rushing TDs

In 2017 LeVeon Bell played only ONE game where he rushed for over 5 yds per carry. In eight games he rushed for 3.0 to 3.8 averages.

• Like 3

Although, our offensive line has helped Mack's yardage. I still think we could use a power back to help our offense down the road. And a back good at catching the ball on a screen. We don't want to just rely on one back to carry the load.  Then if he get's hurt you become too,  one dimensional. The way we are rebuilding I think depth at position is what we need , so you don't just rely on marquee players to carry the load. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Elliot has 6 rushing TDs

Mack has 7 rushing TDs

In 2017 LeVeon Bell played only ONE game where he rushed for over 5 yds per carry. In eight games he rushed for 3.0 to 3.8 averages.

Yes. Mack is as good as Bell or Elliot

giphy.gif

41 minutes ago, egg said:

Elliot has 6 rushing TDs

Mack has 7 rushing TDs

No...not like Zeke at all.

Zeke

Avg defenders in the box - 7.1

Stacked front carry rate (8+ men in box) - 30.1% (4.2 YPC)

Light front carry rate (6 or less men in box) - 24.5% (5.0 YPC)

Shotgun carry rate - 28.7% (4.8 YPC)

Mack

Avg defenders in the box - 6.6

Stacked front carry rate (8+ men in box) - 12.7% (2.7 YPC)

Light front carry rate (6 or less men in box) - 50% (5.8 YPC)

Shotgun carry rate - 43% (5.6 YPC)

Zeke's production is pretty incredibe when you consider how often he faces a stacked box (that's what IND did almost all game until the 2nd half). And he's consistent across all different looks.

Mack, on the hand, has been brutal when facing a stacked box, but fortunately hasn't had to do so very often...because of Luck. 

For comparison sake...Bell also faced a lot of stacked boxes and was consistent in 2017...though not nearly effective as Zeke. Though I would argue Bell's true value will be seen in the passing game...as a pass catcher and blocker. Both he and Zeke are far better pass catchers than Mack is (which is disppointing...because I was hoping that part of his game would evolve).

I am not saying Bell is the answer...but if the Colts look to add to the RB mix (which they should)...a bigger RB who can pick up yards against stacked boxes and impact the passing game would be the way to go.

37 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Although, our offensive line has helped Mack's yardage. I still think we could use a power back to help our offense down the road. And a back good at catching the ball on a screen. We don't want to just rely on one back to carry the load.  Then if he get's hurt you become too,  one dimensional. The way we are rebuilding I think depth at position is what we need , so you don't just rely on marquee players to carry the load. 

Ideally, it's the same RB. Bell would certainly fit the bill.

RB, Mack, Hines, Wilkins would be a solid group going forward. Right now, only Hines is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield...but he gets tackled so easily. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

No...not like Zeke at all.

Zeke

Avg defenders in the box - 7.1

Stacked front carry rate (8+ men in box) - 30.1% (4.2 YPC)

Light front carry rate (6 or less men in box) - 24.5% (5.0 YPC)

Shotgun carry rate - 28.7% (4.8 YPC)

Mack

Avg defenders in the box - 6.6

Stacked front carry rate (8+ men in box) - 12.7% (2.7 YPC)

Light front carry rate (6 or less men in box) - 50% (5.8 YPC)

Shotgun carry rate - 43% (5.6 YPC)

Zeke's production is pretty incredibe when you consider how often he faces a stacked box (that's what IND did almost all game until the 2nd half). And he's consistent across all different looks.

Mack, on the hand, has been brutal when facing a stacked box, but fortunately hasn't had to do so very often...because of Luck. 

For comparison sake...Bell also faced a lot of stacked boxes and was consistent in 2017...though not nearly effective as Zeke. Though I would argue Bell's true value will be seen in the passing game...as a pass catcher and blocker. Both he and Zeke are far better pass catchers than Mack is (which is disppointing...because I was hoping that part of his game would evolve).

I am not saying Bell is the answer...but if the Colts look to add to the RB mix (which they should)...a bigger RB who can pick up yards against stacked boxes and impact the passing game would be the way to go.

So the conclusion is, then:

When facing a "stacked" box (30.1% of the time) Elliot has a better average per carry rate than Mack.

But when not  facing a 'stacked" box,  (which is most of the time) Mack has a better average per carry rate than Elliot.

So, Elliot is the more productive runner some of the time (30.1%). And Mack the better runner the rest of the time.

And here is how it averages out so far in 2018:

Mack 4.8 yds per carry          Elliot 4.7 yds per carry

I know that Elliot is the stronger runner. That is why he is the more productive back 30.1% of the time.

Why do you think Mack is the more productive back most of the time?

Like Mack's two rushing TDs yesterday to Elliot's 0 TDs?

9 minutes ago, egg said:

I did not say Mack is as good.....you did. Why did you deface my post? Because it made sense?

I didn't mean to. My apologies. For some reason, what I typed combined with what I was quoting. Egg did not say Mack as good as Elliot. I said it as sarcasm

With all do respect don't compare Mack with Elliot!  Mack had a good game but to put him with the more elite runners , regardless of the one game they had is ludicrous. Take Derick Henry, He was a much higher profile running back coming out of college. so far his break out has been the last two games. That being said he was a beast two weeks ago 238 yards and 4 tds or this week against  the Giants  33 carries for 133, before that very average, even for a more high profile running back. Can he keep this up? only time will tell. this week we had at least ten teams that had RB's that gained over a 100 yard game. so let's not jump the gun.

26 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

With all do respect don't compare Mack with Elliot!  Mack had a good game but to put him with the more elite runners , regardless of the one game they had is ludicrous. Take Derick Henry, He was a much higher profile running back coming out of college. so far his break out has been the last two games. That being said he was a beast two weeks ago 238 yards and 4 tds or this week against  the Giants  33 carries for 133, before that very average, even for a more high profile running back. Can he keep this up? only time will tell. this week we had at least ten teams that had RB's that gained over a 100 yard game. so let's not jump the gun.

The above facts speak for themselves.

Why so many Colts fans are so reluctant to acknowledge Marlin Mack as a very good running back and a very important part to this team's success is beyond me.

29 minutes ago, egg said:

So the conclusion is, then:

When facing a "stacked" box (30.1% of the time) Elliot has a better average per carry rate than Mack.

But when not  facing a 'stacked" box,  (which is most of the time) Mack has a better average per carry rate than Elliot.

So, Elliot is the more productive runner some of the time (30.1%). And Mack the better runner the rest of the time.

And here is how it averages out so far in 2018:

Mack 4.8 yds per carry          Elliot 4.7 yds per carry

I know that Elliot is the stronger runner. That is why he is the more productive back 30.1% of the time.

Why do you think Mack is the more productive back most of the time?

Like Mack's two rushing TDs yesterday to Elliot's 0 TDs?

If their carries were the same...sure. But they aren't even close. We have no idea how Mack would do with a huge carry load every game.

Also, if Zeke had the same percentage of light front looks as Mack (25% vs. 50%), his YPC there would go up. Zeke has a 7.7% breakaway rate (vs. Mack's 5.7%)...so if 25% of his looks suddenly  became light front looks...he is going to be breaking some of those runs. 

Regardless, Mack has been a solid RB this year...but they need someone who can do more in the passing game.

20 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

For all of you stat's guys 

Marlon Mack so far 616 yards this season

Frank Gore for Miami 722 yards 

But Marlon's been more flasher  but not as much in the end.

Even Hines longest from scrimmage has been longer than Macks and  yards per carry but who's counting? just saying! 

Mack has 755 yds in 10 games to Gore's 722 yds in 14 games.