Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bend But Don't Break

Tombstone

Didn't get to watch game today but, Sam Darnold stats tend to make me believe his passing broke the bend in the Colts defense.  Im assuming the pass rush was not their today either.  

Do they ever try to mix the coverage up?  Someone on this forum said this is the Colts preseason leading to 2019. I say that statement is offical now for the none believers of that statement and for those who stated that we are in the easy part of the schedule. To ease you guys comfort a little at least your game's are at least watchable compare to my Gaints.  You guy have a kick, scratch, and claw type thing going on thier that at least provide hope until you guys shoot yourself in the foot.  Hard to recover from that with the several key injuries you guys have

3 minutes ago, love the shoe said:

why don't we ever blitz ????

Because when you blitz and don't get there, you are down numbers coverage-wise. 

And when you don't have lock-down guys on the back end (in either the secondary or LB corps), you are exposing yourself to huge chunk plays.

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

Because when you blitz and don't get there, you are down numbers coverage-wise. 

And when you don't have lock-down guys on the back end (in either the secondary or LB corps), you are exposing yourself to huge chunk plays.

well those huge chunks were there today when not blitzing , that is why I was asking , do something different 

The problem is that at some point there is TOO MUCH bending even if we don't break. The Jets had 7(SEVEN) FGs today... that's the equivalent of 3 TDs. We cannot allow teams to keep marching down to our red-zone and hope to stop them there... that's too much. 

27 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

The Jets got lucky that Darnold fell to them and that the Colts traded with them for them to land him. I can't believe both the Giants and Browns passed on him. More so Cleveland.

The Jets after years and years of not getting a quality QB made their own luck by trading up to get one. At #3 they were guarnteed of a Top prospect(Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen).

Good for them.

The Jets were working on both our corners with ease today. We tried to mix it up playing some press corner, but we don't have the players, nor the experience. There was a lot of confusion in our secondary. Also, Quincy Wilson is our best press corner, like he played for the Gators. Eberflus called didn't call a great game for me, but he doesn't have much talent to work with either.

Our defense has been on the field for way more time than offense all season. Add in the short fields created by turnovers, and wa la, poor looking defense. They are not the Colts biggest concern right now. Holes, sure, injuries, you bet, its the NFL teams will move the ball on you. In an offense driven league, putting up points and holding to fgs is going to win games.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

The Jets got lucky that Darnold fell to them and that the Colts traded with them for them to land him. I can't believe both the Giants and Browns passed on him. More so Cleveland.

The Gaints needed a running back and QB.  They chose Barkley instead a QB do to the fact the running game would have taken some pressure of of Eli.  And Eli helped them to 2 Superbowls.  So they went the diplomatic route 

29 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

The Jets were working on both our corners with ease today. We tried to mix it up playing some press corner, but we don't have the players, nor the experience. There was a lot of confusion in our secondary. Also, Quincy Wilson is our best press corner, like he played for the Gators. Eberflus called didn't call a great game for me, but he doesn't have much talent to work with either.

I think Q. Wilson was a swing and a miss by Ballard! Far from the Colts best corner.

46 minutes ago, love the shoe said:

well those huge chunks were there today when not blitzing , that is why I was asking , do something different 

When I say chunk plays, I mean explosive plays that go for 6.  And you can't just "do something different."  This Cover 2 4-3 is built on rushing the passer with 4 guys.  Occasionally they may blitz.

The Colts are trying to keep everything in front of them.  Force the other team to execute and sustain drives.  The defense had been pretty good at this for most of the season.

That didn't work today because the Jets were gifted outstanding field position (short fields) again and again via turnovers.  They were in field goal range all the time.  So the strategy at that point is not to just bring the house and get burned for 6 instead.

Credit to the Jets' kicker for ruthlessly and methodically capitalizing upon every single Colts miscue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think Q. Wilson was a swing and a miss by Ballard! Far from the Colts best corner.

I agree he isn't the best corner right now, but he is more suited to play press, like he did in his college days, than our other CB's. Either way, we don't have much talent in this position group. And it might not get addressed next offseason given we have so many other needs.

• Like 1

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

I agree he isn't the best corner right now, but he is more suited to play press, like he did in his college days, than our other CB's. Either way, we don't have much talent in this position group. And it might not get addressed next offseason given we have so many other needs.

I think is strictly a press corner.

• Like 1