Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Record Book being re-written this yr

Reality Check

Just ready this from Bleacher Report...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2798508-the-nfl-record-book-is-under-assault-in-the-2018-season?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

It really highlights the fact that the game has changed dramatically in recent years based on the impact that "player safety" rules have had.

This past weekend, 14 NFL QB's thre for more than 300yds.  When I was younger, it was considered a "rare milestone" if/when a QB threw for 300+ yds in a game. Here are a few other quick notes from the article...please discuss....

Each of the seven highest-scoring seasons in NFL history took place between 2010 and 2016. Rules making it harder for defensive players to do their jobs led to more opportunities for offenses—and quarterbacks in particular—to explode.

The average NFL game this season has featured 48.1 points, which is up nearly 10 percent from 43.9 during the first four weeks of the 2017 season. It's on pace to become the highest-scoring season in NFL history by a 327-point margin over the 2013 campaign. That's equivalent to more than 46 converted touchdowns. 

Offenses are averaging fewer rushing yards per game (106.7) than in any other season in NFL history except 1994 and 1999 (104.3 and 106.5, respectively).

Also according to the league, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck became just the 11th signal-caller in league history to pass for at least 450 yards and four touchdowns without throwing an interception in a single game in Sunday's loss to the Houston Texans. But Luck wasn't even the first quarterback to accomplish that feat this week, because Goff did the same Thursday night against the Vikings.

In the meantime, defensive players are getting called for ridiculous penalties when it comes to "contact".  Looks like the NFL is taking a page right out of the arena football playbook as well as the NBA's playbook.  They will make scoring so common that fans will only need to tune in the last 5mins of a game to see the game decided.

Please discuss....

• Like 1

All the money being made from bets and fantasy football has to play into it at some level, I would think. Soon, there will be multiple QBs passing for 50 TDs in a year, it is only a matter of time. 

We all asked for more safety, lawyers, former players, current players included and this is the final product, diluted on defense. Can't have the cake and eat it too. :) 

I made the observation in 2016. From 2012 - 2015, the teams that committed Top 3 penalties in PI and defensive holding combined, were eventual SB winners. Starting with the Patriots-Falcons SB and the playoffs, more holding has been called, and defenders aren't getting away with a lot, and thus offenses are calling the shots more in the playoffs, IMO. 

The NFL is making it easier for QB's to put up big numbers because that is how they market the league. There aren't 32 great QB's out there, so they adjust the rules so that every team has a QB who can put up crazy stats, look like a superstar, and thus the NFL can promote a marquis QB match up in as many games as possible. 

22 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sad that there will be folk in years to come that will be claiming that average QB’s were greater than some of the legends like Peyton, just because they blew away their TD,YDS stats...but only because you can’t touch them or their receivers:(

I agree.  

I was arguing with a guy who thinks Phillip Rivers should be a lock for the HOF.   He said because he is top 10 in this and top 10 in that.

I asked him if Rivers was ever considered a top 3 QB in any year he has played?   The answer was NO.  Maybe not even top 5.  

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.  

I was arguing with a guy who thinks Phillip Rivers should be a lock for the HOF.   He said because he is top 10 in this and top 10 in that.

I asked him if Rivers was ever considered a top 3 QB in any year he has played?   The answer was NO.  Maybe not even top 5.  

I’ve never considered Rivers to be up there with the best. He always seems like he’s trying to force everything in games. Definitely not in the top 5 imo. I’ve never even had or tried to have him in any fantasy league. He’s never one of the QB’s that go off the board early in leagues to anyone either...says it all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve never considered Rivers to be up there with the best. He always seems like he’s trying to force everything in games. Definitely not in the top 5 imo. I’ve never even had or tried to have him in any fantasy league. He’s never one of the QB’s that go off the board early in leagues to anyone either...says it all. 

People will cite his 50,000 + passing yards.   He'll probably retire #5 in passing yards.

I don't think that should get him in the HOF.   He should be compared to QB's of his era, not all time. 

Ha ha, while I agree, I hope awards are never given based mostly off of what a player did in fantasy.

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

People will cite his 50,000 + passing yards.   He'll probably retire #5 in passing yards.

I don't think that should get him in the HOF.   He should be compared to QB's of his era, not all time. 

Ha ha, while I agree, I hope awards are never given based mostly off of what a player did in fantasy.

Ha Ha, Definitely not, was just a little added point that i’d noticed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gramz said:

The game has definitely changed over the years.    

Having said that...   a kicker is still a kicker,  and we have the Best there is.   

Congrats #4 on breaking an NFL record this past weekend.

While there is no arguing this FACT, I am concerned that they are going to take kickoffs out of the game (after FG's & TD's).  IMO, this changes the game significantly.

Kickoffs can play such a major role in any team's ability to make a 4th qtr comeback.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree.  

IMO, HOF accomplishments/COMPARISONS should be made AGAINST PLAYERS FROM THE SAME ERA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

While there is no arguing this FACT, I am concerned that they are going to take kickoffs out of the game (after FG's & TD's).  IMO, this changes the game significantly.

Kickoffs can play such a major role in any team's ability to make a 4th qtr comeback.

I just got finished watching the 2003 Colts vs Patriots game in the RCA dome... if kickoffs weren't apart of the game, maybe we never even had the Brady vs Manning rivalry??

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

We've discussed Rivers many times. He's not a HoFer but he's potential HoFer who didn't get the breaks. Archie Manning, Bert Jones, Doug Williams type. 

Rivers is better than a lot of HOF QBs in Canton IMO. 

• Like 1