Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap Space

Blueblazes

The median cap space for the 32 NFL teams is about $9M. The Colts have about $59M in cap space. Knowing the Colts have so many holes to plug on defense and a few on offense, does anyone know the advantage of this amazing cap space the Colts are maintaining? Surely the is a good reason that is not apparent.

14 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

The CBA installed a limit on rollover and invokes a penalty at some point for unused cap space. When does that kick in?

There is no limit to roll over. There is however a 3 year period in which 90 percent of the cap space for all three years must be spent. We hit that at end of next season I believe 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

The CBA installed a limit on rollover and invokes a penalty at some point for unused cap space. When does that kick in?

superman pointed out the other day, there isnt even much of a penalty

i think they just cut a check to the players union for some/all of the difference  

Why spend it all now?  We need to have a foundation and find out where we need to spend our money before blowing it all.  It's better have young cheap talent instead of aging expensive talent.  The runs are much longer when you don't have to pay your talent early.  The key is to get contributors on rookie and early days and fill in the holes with the big money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

There is no limit to roll over. There is however a 3 year period in which 90 percent of the cap space for all three years must be spent. We hit that at end of next season I believe 

So in all likelyhood Ballard will be pushed to spend a bit more on free agency this offseason in order to hit that mark.  

I am hopeful for that.  I don't think free agency solves all of our problems and you have to approach it with care, but a lot of holes out there could be filled with some quality FA signings.  

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

So in all likelyhood Ballard will be pushed to spend a bit more on free agency this offseason in order to hit that mark.  

I am hopeful for that.  I don't think free agency solves all of our problems and you have to approach it with care, but a lot of holes out there could be filled with some quality FA signings.  

Yes.  And protect Luck and fix the OL for God's sake.  So close but yet so far. 

28 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yep.. right about the time teams like Jacksonville are in serious cap hell and have some big name defenders coming due off their rookie contracts...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Yes.  And protect Luck and fix the OL for God's sake.  So close but yet so far. 

Honestly I think we're one player away from having a quality OL.  We just need a RT now.  I think we should get that in the draft high.  Because I believe that player is someone that may take over for AC in the future.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 5:18 PM, Blueblazes said:

I believe it kicks in at the start of the league year.
And is assessed when a team hasn't spent 89% of the totals of the previous 4 years of salary cap.
And of course there is no penalty for rollovers.

We have little in Proven Good players on rookie contracts. Once a team has these proven Good young players, then is the Proper time to add other High Quality players to fill in areas of need.
 Most here would believe next year we would add either through free agency or the draft, a high quality DT, CB, LB and a WR and perhaps a RT.  With our 1st and two 2nd rd draft picks and plenty of $$$ to attract 2 high quality FA, we sure look to be in a great position to get better soon, very soon.  cheese   Hope this helps.   :highfive2:

• Like 2