Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some thoughts to share before Week One.....

NewColtsFan

On 9/7/2018 at 1:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I've been kicking this around for some time and now is the time to talk about it....

First,  I'm happy to say that the website has benefited tremendously from a large number of new posters the last few years.    Posters who not only know Colts football,   but football in general and they read as much as they can and contribute.    They join a strong group and I think the website has never been stronger.

So.....

One of the casualties of the new CBA which went into effect in 2011 is that so much practice and contact have been eliminated,   that teams simply don't feel ready for the start of the season.     I'm talking practice in March,  April, May and June.      I'm talking camp in July and August.    There just isn't much practice time and hitting allowed.     Coaches and GM's are hugely frustrated by this.   Hoping this will change in the next CBA.

And in stories I've read over the past few years,   their view is this....    that teams are simply not ready for the start of the season.    That teams play their way into form in September.    That teams need 2-4 games to really get sharp and ready to compete at the highest level.    That's why there's so much sloppy play in September.   Teams aren't sharp.

Bottom line for me....     with a team like the Colts...    so many new, young players,  and a new coaching staff with first time HC, OC, DC and ST,   we might look especially bad in September.     Things could get dicey in weeks 3-6.   The schedule gets dramatically harder.    We might struggle a bit.   Heck, we might get our butts kicked once or twice.

Here's what I'm lookig for.....     Do the Colts get better in October?     And even better in November and December.     I sure hope so.   That's what I want to see.     Does Andrew look sharper as he plays his way back into form and the rust shakes off.     I sure hope so.    

Like all of you,  I'm much more excited about this year than last.     Win or lose,  I expect us to be a better team this year when all is said and done.

Looking forward to 2018!     

I'm also looking forward to your thoughts in this thread.....

NCF

My personal opinion on the idea of our young defensive players not having enough hitting time to perform well is this: They are much faster than in years past. We also have some more natural tacklers on the team than in years past. I think we will see a team that can play fast, get to a ballcarrier quicker and in larger numbers, which will help get them on the ground. I don't look for it to much of hindrance. I look for the new emphasis on targeting/helmet leading to be just as difficult for veteran players to adjust this season as a young player adapting to the hitting in the big league. I think the biggest transition for a rookie is the speed of the game, and I think we are already ahead of the ballgame with that aspect with the speed of the new players. The scheme will help them play fast and aggressive which should help them transition quickly. 

Offensively, this lack of hitting in the offseason could help our unit, as we have some shifty young players. Get them in open space, protect the football, and try to make plays. 

Sunday, it all starts up front, and I don't look for hitting to be an issue with Quenton Nelson. Our recent pickup of Hewitt from the Bengals even said that if we can establish any kind of run game and limit the front 7 of the Bengals, we will be able to make plays on the perimeter. That gives me great hope on Sunday. 

I look for highs and lows this season with a young unit. But if we can limit big plays, and make some of our own, we will see an improved unit over the course of the season, and it should be a fun year of constant growth. Go Blue.

• Like 2

Here’s what I fear:

Colts get the ball, Micheal up the gut for two yards, Luck to Doyle for four yards, Luck attempt to a triple teamed TY, incomplete.  

Cincy gets the ball, drive takes the rest of the half.  They score.  

Second half, Colts abandon the run.  Cincy tees off.

Nightmare.  

I am  the insurance agent for several former Colts players, some older and some recently left the game. From the older players they tell me the game was better because they started hitting in practice early and often the practices were created by men for men not to please the CBA. they don't like how the game is turning out especially some of these younger players wanting to kneel during the national anthem. The point I want to make here is that the younger players that really quit playing the game say that they really feel like they never got into the flow of a game in the first month. Like I said before practices, OTAs and training camp were just not enough hitting to get into the beating you take in a regular NFL season. That's why so many injuries take place early and seasons because the players are tough enough or battle ready when the game start to count. I will see the older players Marvel at the athletic skill of the newer players at their speed and size. but the older player still feel the game is a bit "nancied" up these days. This team has so many questions going into the opener. A lot of question marks and very few answers but of course I'll be in my seat tomorrow bleeding blue no matter what happens. Go Horse!

53 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Here’s what I fear:

Colts get the ball, Micheal up the gut for two yards, Luck to Doyle for four yards, Luck attempt to a triple teamed TY, incomplete.  

Nightmare.  

Chuck Pagano isn't the coach anymore...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Here’s what I fear:

Nightmare.  

What I fear.  A drink cost's $25, Parking $35, a Jersey $125. I get done with the game go to the car, realize my gas gage is on 'E', and go to the gas station and see i have no money left to get back home to Marion.....lol

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

What I fear.  A drink cost's $25, Parking $35, a Jersey $125. I get done with the game go to the car, realize my gas gage is on 'E', and go to the gas station and see i have no money left to get back home to Marion.....lol

then you go to St Elmo’s.  So there’s another $250.  

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I've been kicking this around for some time and now is the time to talk about it....

First,  I'm happy to say that the website has benefited tremendously from a large number of new posters the last few years.    Posters who not only know Colts football,   but football in general and they read as much as they can and contribute.    They join a strong group and I think the website has never been stronger.

So.....

One of the casualties of the new CBA which went into effect in 2011 is that so much practice and contact have been eliminated,   that teams simply don't feel ready for the start of the season.     I'm talking practice in March,  April, May and June.      I'm talking camp in July and August.    There just isn't much practice time and hitting allowed.     Coaches and GM's are hugely frustrated by this.   Hoping this will change in the next CBA.

And in stories I've read over the past few years,   their view is this....    that teams are simply not ready for the start of the season.    That teams play their way into form in September.    That teams need 2-4 games to really get sharp and ready to compete at the highest level.    That's why there's so much sloppy play in September.   Teams aren't sharp.

Bottom line for me....     with a team like the Colts...    so many new, young players,  and a new coaching staff with first time HC, OC, DC and ST,   we might look especially bad in September.     Things could get dicey in weeks 3-6.   The schedule gets dramatically harder.    We might struggle a bit.   Heck, we might get our butts kicked once or twice.

Here's what I'm lookig for.....     Do the Colts get better in October?     And even better in November and December.     I sure hope so.   That's what I want to see.     Does Andrew look sharper as he plays his way back into form and the rust shakes off.     I sure hope so.    

Like all of you,  I'm much more excited about this year than last.     Win or lose,  I expect us to be a better team this year when all is said and done.

Looking forward to 2018!     

I'm also looking forward to your thoughts in this thread.....

NCF

Well stated my friend!  I agree that weeks 3-6 look rough, but if they can weather that and continue to get better, I can see a promising future.  Over the years I have seen many teams come out and go 8-0, 7-1, 6-2 only to fade in the latter part of the season.  My hope is that this team continues to get better, despite their record, and becomes a team that finishes seasons well....that is the key to being a Championship contender.  And luck of course!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Nah, i'm a burger man.  Prolly hit Bub's in Carmel.

http://bubsburgers.com/

Can you eat a whole one? I know of Bub's but have never ate there. Most people can't even eat whole one. During the entire Manning era (1998-2011) up through the 1st 2 years of Luck 2012 and 2013, 3 other guys and I always picked 2 games a year to go and we would make a day of it. We would usually slam 4 or 5 beers before the game, go to the game and just drink 1 tall one. 1 of the guys we were with did not drink so he always drove. After the game we would all eat at St Elmo. St Elmo is expensive but it was only twice a year so we went all out. After the 2013 season 1 of the guys got married and moved out of state, so the tradition was over. We all decided not to go to games anymore just like that. Last game I was at was in 2013 when we spanked the Texans and ran away with the Division. Great memories but anymore I do loving watching at home and not dealing with crowds as I am older.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

LOL  I must have missed the Super Bowl appearance that Andrew Luck led this team to.  Come on man...Luck really hasn't had an MVP worthy season as of yet.  

I'd argue his 2014 was better than Cam's 2015, but the Panthers were 15-1 and looked unbeatable at points, hence why he won it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

LOL  I must have missed the Super Bowl appearance that Andrew Luck led this team to.  Come on man...Luck really hasn't had an MVP worthy season as of yet.  

Did you see this ... just curious.  I know he went to the SB and all, but this pretty much says what the guy is.  Sometimes the team carries an average QB pretty far.  Works both ways I guess.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1074289731635

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

then you go to St Elmo’s.  So there’s another $250.  

Sure is fun though .... then you go to the hotel (in my case) and another $200 and feel sick lying on the bed rubbing your stomach from eating/ drinking too much .... like I said .... sure is fun though.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

Sure is fun though .... then you go to the hotel (in my case) and another $200 and feel sick lying on the bed rubbing your stomach from eating/ drinking too much .... like I said .... sure is fun though.

Yep, me and my buds will be at the Homewood Suites the weekend of the Texans game.  Our tradition is to also eat at Buca’s one night too.  

Overindulging after a win is much better.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yep, me and my buds will be at the Homewood Suites the weekend of the Texans game.  Our tradition is to also eat at Buca’s one night too.  

Overindulging after a win is much better.  

Not sure when I am going to be able to come over for a game yet ... hopefully it will happen though.  Buca's oh yeah!!

Overindulging after a win is like the best feeling in the world.  But not on the good side more than I am feeling on the bad side today from the way Purdue played .... they laid enough eggs for the entire fan base to have breakfast tomorrow.  

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Can you eat a whole one? I know of Bub's but have never ate there. Most people can't even eat whole one. During the entire Manning era (1998-2011) up through the 1st 2 years of Luck 2012 and 2013, 3 other guys and I always picked 2 games a year to go and we would make a day of it. We would usually slam 4 or 5 beers before the game, go to the game and just drink 1 tall one. 1 of the guys we were with did not drink so he always drove. After the game we would all eat at St Elmo. St Elmo is expensive but it was only twice a year so we went all out. After the 2013 season 1 of the guys got married and moved out of state, so the tradition was over. We all decided not to go to games anymore just like that. Last game I was at was in 2013 when we spanked the Texans and ran away with the Division. Great memories but anymore I do loving watching at home and not dealing with crowds as I am older.

Depends on the day.  If i'm really hungry, yeah.  But most of the times i've had to get a 'doggy bag'.  They have elk burgers also.  and massive beef hotdogs as well.  It's really good food.  I've been to a few places but not Elmo's.  But because i'm allergic to shellfish.  So can't eat anything there since everything there has been made on or with shrimp.  I have a story also.  Once during the RCA dome era, we went to a place called The Cattle Company after a game. Also really expensive.  The 4 of us just went (t-shirts, jerseys, holy jeans, ect.)  Didn't realize it was a shirt & tie kinda establishment.  (maybe not exclusive, but seemed that way to us at the time).  We all ordered, ate, and was talking when the waiter asked if we wanted a piece of cake for desert.  Well, we figured '1 piece for all 4 of us?"  So we ordered a whole cake.  Mistake, the darn thing was HUGE. 1 piece was like the size of an actual cake...lol  But i get the home, snacks, and no bothersome traffic, parking, ect.  But I still like to see a game in person from time to time.  always have fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Not true 2014 he was a contender for it and also 2016 as well if this team would have played better as a whole from the start of the season he could have been considered there too.

Turay, Muhammad, Ridgeway, Sheard, Autry are the guys I expect to see plays from tomorrow on the DL. Hoping to see Grover Stewart and young Basham. I remember he  (Basham)got his first sack of the year against Cincy last year. Hoping to see Najee Goode get replaced by Matthew Adams or Zaire Franklin. I think either one needs to be put in a leadership position now. I think they have the maturity to handle it. Hopefully Najee plays well though if not. I got a feeling I'm going to like Ant Walker and Darius Leonard together.

• Like 3

We have a decent young group out there. We don't have to get punked out in this one if we can get them to play fast and disciplined. Hopefully the coaches keep the game plan and the calls nice and simple on D. Whenever Dungy had a problematic outing on D he would really simplify things for the next game. The reporters would say Tony it really looks like the D has this problem and that problem. They would ask him what he planned to do about it. The answer in most cases was Execute,Do Less(keep it simple) and play faster. The reporters would look at him like he was crazy but it usually worked.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

We have a decent young group out there. We don't have to get punked out in this one if we can get them to play fast and disciplined. Hopefully the coaches keep the game plan and the calls nice and simple on D. Whenever Dungy had a problematic outing on D he would really simplify things for the next game. The reporters would say Tony it really looks like the D has this problem and that problem. They would ask him what he planned to do about it. The answer in most cases was Execute,Do Less(keep it simple) and play faster. The reporters would look at him like he was crazy but it usually worked.

More often than not, it's exactly that. Keep it simple. Play fast. Execute. 

10 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Not true 2014 he was a contender for it and also 2016 as well if this team would have played better as a whole from the start of the season he could have been considered there too.

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'd argue his 2014 was better than Cam's 2015, but the Panthers were 15-1 and looked unbeatable at points, hence why he won it. 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I brought that up the other day. I could also argue his 2014 Season was just as great as Ryan's 2016 Season was and Atlanta was 11-5 just like we were.

Looking at 2014... Luck had 40 TDs 16 INTs 4,761 YRDS and a QBR of 96.5.  Aaron Rodgers who won that year threw for 38 TD's only 5 INTs 4,381 YRDS and a QBR of 112.2. Both QB's led their team to their league's Conference Championship Game.  Clearly Rodgers deserved MVP over Luck that year.   Luck had great stats but he threw way too many  INT's which negatively affected his QBR in comparison to the MVP Rodgers that year.

In 2016...Luck threw for 31 TDs 13 INTs 4,240 YRDS with a QBR of 96.4.  Matt Ryan the 2016 MVP threw for 38 TDs only 7 INTS  4,944 YRDS for a QBR of 112.1.  Luck's Colts finished 8-8  while Ryan led his Falcons to the Super Bowl that season.  Again Ryan clearly deserved it over Luck with a far better QBR.  Again Luck's double digit interception total undermined his QBR and silences any arguments for him being MVP that season.  The Colts 8-8 record also resulted in Luck not really being considered as a top candidate that season.

You can't cross compare seasons as that is not relevant.  You have to look at the particular season in question and compare Luck's stats with who actually won MVP for that year. Even if we were to cross compare Luck's 2014 season (40 TDS 16 INTS 4,240 YRDS 94.5 QBR) vs. Ryan's 2016 (38 TDS 4,944 YRDS 7 INTS 112.1 QBR) Ryan's QBR is clearly superior again attributed to Luck's high double digit INT total.   If you cross compare Luck's 2014 season vs. Cam Newton's 2015, Luck has more of an argument but Cam's lower INT number 10 vs. 16, slightly higher QBR, and Super Bowl appearance are enough to explain why Newton has an MVP under his belt for that season while Luck still does not.

Most NFL MVPs end the season with a QBR over 100 and have low INTs.  Luck has yet to have a season where his QBR has topped 100 and has only had one season (2013) where he has not thrown for a double digit number of INTs (9).  Until Luck shows he can continue to consistently put up his TD and Total Yardage numbers while simultaneously reducing his number  of INTs, Colts fans have no valid argument that Luck has produced a NFL MVP caliber season. 

Demeaning Matt Ryan (or Cam Newton) who has won an MVP award plus led his team to a Super Bowl appearance while claiming Luck was somehow snubbed just makes those who do so look petty and insecure in regards to Luck.