People Do Realize...

doogansquest

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning preferred to remain with the Colts, one source said, but a source close to Irsay said theowner concluded that the major restructuring of the organization would include a change at quarterback, likely either former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck or former Baylor quarterbackRobert Griffin III.

One source close to Irsay said the decision was not financially driven, evidenced by the fact

the owner chose not to engage in negotiations to restructure Manning's contract.

http://espn.go.com/n...nning-wednesday

I don't think there is any winning or losing in this (except maybe for the fans). Irsay made a calculated business decision based on what he thought was the best thing for the franchise. Manning will ultimately have a better chance to win with the team of his choosing than he would have with current state of the Colts.

What happens after the decision has been made to me has no bearing on the decision itself.

That may be true, but he has to get first acclimated with that teams offense & receivers & may take time

Here if traded ist pick for many draft choices, u never know what holes may have been plugged and by whom if he was allowed to restructure his contract and if he was wiling to

so to many ifs to base how he does in future compared to if stayed under a restructed contract or whatever

So many wish to turn this into a love of Manning vs. love of the Colts issue. Maybe for some it is. For me it is not. I've been a Colts fan since 1963 and I've seen way to many poor decisions that kept the Colts in the cellar for nearly three decades. Those were all orchestrated by Bob Irsay. Jim has been different.

I see this as a bad decision for the Colts winning. I see this as sacrificing a good opportunity to continue winning. Peyton Manning is still the best chance for any team to get to a Super Bowl.

Looking at this as a business decision is the only way to look at it. For 40 years when it comes to my Colts only one thing matters to me, are they doing everything they can to put the best team on the field. This decision goes against that. Money was not an obstacle.

When Montana left, Young was playing as good or better. When Favre left, Rogers was playing as good or better. When Unitas was traded he'd already been in and out of the lineup with re-occuring injuries.

IF PM is 100% (and that is still the real question) then he makes ANY team a Super Bowl contender, unless an owner just decides he wants to go in a different direction(away from the winning direction), or rebuild(built in excuse for losing). That's the kind of things Bob Irsay use to say.

Manning preferred to remain with the Colts, one source said, but a source close to Irsay said theowner concluded that the major restructuring of the organization would include a change at quarterback, likely either former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck or former Baylor quarterbackRobert Griffin III.

One source close to Irsay said the decision was not financially driven, evidenced by the fact

the owner chose not to engage in negotiations to restructure Manning's contract.

http://espn.go.com/n...nning-wednesday

So many wish to turn this into a love of Manning vs. love of the Colts issue. Maybe for some it is. For me it is not. I've been a Colts fan since 1963 and I've seen way to many poor decisions that kept the Colts in the cellar for nearly three decades. Those were all orchestrated by Bob Irsay. Jim has been different.

I see this as a bad decision for the Colts winning. I see this as sacrificing a good opportunity to continue winning. Peyton Manning is still the best chance for any team to get to a Super Bowl.

Looking at this as a business decision is the only way to look at it. For 40 years when it comes to my Colts only one thing matters to me, are they doing everything they can to put the best team on the field. This decision goes against that. Money was not an obstacle.

When Montana left, Young was playing as good or better. When Favre left, Rogers was playing as good or better. When Unitas was traded he'd already been in and out of the lineup with re-occuring injuries.

IF PM is 100% (and that is still the real question) then he makes ANY team a Super Bowl contender, unless an owner just decides he wants to go in a different direction(away from the winning direction), or rebuild(built in excuse for losing). That's the kind of things Bob Irsay use to say.

been a colt fan since age 4, am 58 now, agree wish kept & trade pick or at least offered to restructure like Irsay had said

I too will be rooting for Peyton to destroy this team when they meet...which he will, count on it.

But with all the back lash from the fans now, I think oh Andy could be getting a lil cold feet, and could still pull an Elway....god what if Peyton signs else where and luck goes Elway...LA would be in the near future

Seriously?...so what if Peyton destroys the Colts when he faces them over the few seasons he has left. Who cares? I'll still be rooting on the Horseshoe. If Peyton is healthy, then I fully expect that he will get the better of this franchise on the field as we rebuild. Initially, this move will look bad for the Colts but the pay off probably won't be apparent until 4-5 years from now when Manning is in his forties, likely out of the league (hopefully with at least one more ring) and the Colts are once again a threat with their future out in front of them. That is what is important here.

Peyton and the Colts look to be parting on amicable terms. I am thankful for all that Manning has done for this franchise. There will never be another like him that is for sure. But we knew this day was coming for awhile now and we all had sufficient time to prepare ourselves emotionally for it. Unfortunately, for those who chose not to and dismissed the writing on the wall...this is now your time to process all of this. Nevertheless, for those who eventually can see past their blind love for Manning and choose to remain as fellow Colts fans, you have my support.

I feel you but the thing is do we really KNOW that Peyton will be 100%? Yes the Duke video tapes looked encouraging and generated some hope around here but we only saw all of 4 throws on video tape. We can not make a $28 million gamble off of that. I don't think Irsay would sever ties with Manning if he truly believed without a shadow of a doubt that Peyton would return to his pre-surgery form. Age is also a factor here. It is an uncertain proposition at best and based on that uncertainty, Irsay made his call. This is a hard day for all Colts fans, but sometimes you have to take a few steps back so that you can better yourself in the long run.

Here is the differentiation point: Who will you root for to win, in a game between the team led by Peyton Manning and the Colts? If you choose PM-led team, then you are a Peyton Manning fan If you choose the Colts, then you are a Colts fan

what if we are fighting for nothing and he is fighting for a playoff spot? would that make me pm fan not a colts fan?

cause honestly i think im a colts fan, i will root for this team, i have grown to be a colts fan even tough i started watching in 04 football because of Manning. but i dont see this team playing for a playoff seed next year. I do see manning playing for a playoff seed.

dude, no one here does.

its called a rebuild.

err ok. i never meant to say that..my point is...am i supposed to be less of fan because i root for PM team vs the cotls IF we have nothing to fight for and manning is playing for a playoff spot?

Agree... everyone seems to think that Luck is plug-n-play and he is going to be just like Manning. You are trading a sure thing (when healthy) for a "who knows". There is no such thing as a sure-fire rookie. If we want to win, then we go with Manning... and who wants to plan to lose??? Rebuilding is for those who plan to lose, hate that term. Sat around here enough years listening to the Colts talk about rebuilding-- and losing. Have gotten rather used to them being competitive and exciting to watch.

By the way, I believe that Irsay, whether intentional or not, has just set up Pagano for an epic fail. How many coaches are going to get 3 years or more to lose games. You have a rookie HC (only a coordinator for 1 year)...and a rookie QB... a paper thin OL, most of our O leaders this year look like they are gone (Manning, Saturday, Garcon, Wayne), no secondary to speak of....this does not sound like a winning formula anytime soon. This is the NFL, you don't get three years to start winning- in fact how many coaches that have more than one or maybe two losing seasons in a row, keep their jobs?(BTW, Caldwell only had 1) I am just praying that Pagano has some magic up his sleeve to keep this team competitive until all the new parts can kick in.

If this is just about money, then Irsay is a lying so-n-so. If this is really about winning- then this is a dumb decision. It's one thing to lose, its another to lose on purpose. Letting go of Manning, to bet on a rookie, not a "winning" choice.

Irsay has caught lightning in a bottle once since he has owned the club- the rest of his record is not so hot (OK, downright awful).

It's going to be a rocky few years. But a small market like Indy will be easier for Luck to deal with than a pressure cooker large market. Plus, you folks in Indy are so gosh-darn nice that his transition will be easier than if Luck were playing in NY, Philly, Boston etc. Fans can't expect to be in contention for a couple-few years. It could happen, of course, but don't expect it.

It's going to be a rocky few years. But a small market like Indy will be easier for Luck to deal with than a pressure cooker large market. Plus, you folks in Indy are so gosh-darn nice that his transition will be easier than if Luck were playing in NY, Philly, Boston etc. Fans can't expect to be in contention for a couple-few years. It could happen, of course, but don't expect it.

Very good points...... I think this is honestly the perfect city for Luck, it's just unfortunate that the Manning days are done. I see Luck as a small market kind of guy, not glitz and glamor.

Please don't turn this or any other thread into a fan bash session.

As stated earlier, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion - including Doogan.

Many people may feel similar and just because you don't agree doesn't mean you are better or vice-versa.

Lots of fans feel very disillusioned by all of this because it is not indicative of the organization we have come to love and respect over the years.

There are reasons beyond Peyton Manning that made me a fan of the Colts. I (personally) am having a hard time finding many of them right now.

I do apologize for responding the way I did. Its just that there have been posts ive seen in the past that appear to be laced with backhanded insults and a smug attitude towards those who dont agree with him or her. It just rubs some of us the wrong way.

Again I do apologize for acting childish about it.