Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts met with Brandon Bryant S

bertjones7

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I honestly wish we would have signed Boston. Hes young and coming off an excellent season. And he wouldn't cost alot. 

Actually he's gone on record saying he wants paid after coming off his best season. It's more than likely why he is still a free agent...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I honestly wish we would have signed Boston. Hes young and coming off an excellent season. And he wouldn't cost alot. 

Honestly, ask yourself how well Boston would help us to compete at the highest level in 2020 and beyond to come up with why we won't pay him now.
We can save back a few million here, and a few million there to help pay Huge signing bonuses for top level talent to fill in the most obvious weak spots the next few off seasons.
 Building for Mediocrity is such a common cause for so many Homers here. Boooo!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Actually he's gone on record saying he wants paid after coming off his best season. It's more than likely why he is still a free agent...

Arizona has been the only team to offer him and it was vet minimum. Boston wouldn't cost much at all for a starter on this roster. 

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Arizona has been the only team to offer him and it was vet minimum. Boston wouldn't cost much at all for a starter on this roster. 

Boston thought he would be able to cash in after the best season of his NFL career; he posted career highs in tackles (79), pass break-ups (eight) and interceptions (five) last season with the Chargers. And with Boston not turning 26 until July, the best should still be yet to come.

"Just like a few of the other guys, we’re just not hearing anything near what we want to hear or even close," Boston told co-host Ed McCaffrey and me Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "We're closer to veteran minimum than we are to the $7-, $8-, $9-million players we wanted to be two months ago or even eight months ago."

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Boston thought he would be able to cash in after the best season of his NFL career; he posted career highs in tackles (79), pass break-ups (eight) and interceptions (five) last season with the Chargers. And with Boston not turning 26 until July, the best should still be yet to come.

"Just like a few of the other guys, we’re just not hearing anything near what we want to hear or even close," Boston told co-host Ed McCaffrey and me Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "We're closer to veteran minimum than we are to the $7-, $8-, $9-million players we wanted to be two months ago or even eight months ago."

There are four teams with appreciable cap space remaining: Browns, Colts, Niners and Titans. The top three -- Browns, Colts and Niners -- missed the playoffs last year, are rebuilding, and determined to get younger, and all three are in the top 8 of youngest rosters in the league right now. 

We can argue about whether any of those three or four teams have an actual need at safety. But it's not surprising that none of them are interested in making a big contract offer to average/above average safeties who mostly can't cover. Tyrann Mathieu only got $7m/year on the open market, and when healthy, he's definitely better than any of the guys still on the market. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

@Superman I know, I was trying to point out to the other poster that we can't just throw league minimum at these guys because they want more.

Eventually, the game of chicken will end and someone will cave and they'll take less instead of be out of the league.

Understood. I'm just saying I understand why they don't have a market, if they're asking for $7-9m/year. There's a huge gap between vet minimum and this asking price, so I'm betting something gets done, eventually.

• Thanks 1