Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Greatest Colt Of All Time Should Have Retired A Colt.

mouthofsouth

i really hope manning lands with the texans, i really hope manning makes colts pay for a long time

this has to be the most dissapointing news i ve heard,

no loyalty at all, from the fans to owners,

based on what the coach said he views lewis and manning on the same level, this has to be irsays call

i hope manning lands with a team that will do whatever it takes for him

consistency for 10+ yrs one bad season due to manning not being under center,

and we show him the door

wow

There is always that chance.

I just don't see it happening.

I can't see an another team offering him more than 2 yrs at best. Why would he want to move to a new city with wife and twins, a new system and coaches with achance of being let go after 2 yrs? Unless it's Miami and I don't see them as contenders

I can't see an another team offering him more than 2 yrs at best. Why would he want to move to a new city with wife and twins, a new system and coaches with achance of being let go after 2 yrs? Unless it's Miami and I don't see them as contenders

It is simple he loves the game of football.

I could see a 4-5 year deal set up with incentives early on with triggers that create guarantees.

Heck man, how can somebody touted as perhaps the greatest of all time, and who has broken Unitas' records, not be considered the greatest Colt? Okay, I will give you this: he and Johnny U tied for greatest Colt. I will give you that.

No contest. Unitas played a weaker schedule with fewer games and no playoffs. Plus, Unitas had a great collection of talent around him on offense and defense unlike the slugs Peyton had to carry.

I think there's a good chance he will retire tomorrow. Irsay probably offered him a short term contract, Manning came to terms that Luck will need to get experience and decides to retire. Simple

If Manning did indeed decide to leave on his own terms, I can assure you it had absolutely nothing to do with letting Luck get experience. Manning has worked too hard in his rehab to just step aside for a rookie QB. This decision is all about Manning wanting to further his career, win more Super Bowls, and retire on his own terms. Manning is a class act but in this situation he has to put himself first. How many of you would just step aside to a rookie when you've worked hard rehabbing and know in your heart that you still have plenty left in the tank? I for one wouldn't.

"Wake up people, Peyton wasn't this team..." Hmm...

He had 35 fourth-quarter comebacks and he led 46 game-winning drives. He did. Not the defense, not Dungy, not Irsay---him. Peyton. Peyton Manning. This man is the greatest Colt of all time, and regardless of opinion, he was the reason the Colts were the 'winningest' team of the 2000-2010 decade. Need I say more?

Unitas was the greatest Colt of all time but I will give you Indy.By the way Johnny U 3 titles>PM 1

How one measures the greatness of a QB is completely subjective and up to them. There is no definitive way to measure one, and just because the media says it is Championships, doesn't make it so.

It is very possible that Peyton didn't want to come back to a team without the keys he has always had around him. But then he has always been flexible, so I sort of doubt it.

Things don't jive somewhere though. Peyton has said that he wanted to stay with one team and has always reworked contracts. Irsay made a big deal about paying him big money and has never had a problem with it in the past.

I think there is a lack of respect to say that he would have to compete with Luck. This should be his team. But that is business or so they say.

I think it is a "what have you done for me lately" way of thinking and loyalty means nothing. Just sad.

Marry me? Lol jk. You are right on everything. Peyton is the epitome of greatness and being a team player. Undoubtedly, there is much more going on behind the scenes than we will ever know

I do not believe it was all about the 28 mil with Peyton. I think if that was all it was, he would have negotiated. I think the breaking point was that Peyton was going to be asked to compete for the starting job next year, and that the Colts would have leaned toward benching him and starting Luck. He is not ready for that. He wants to play where he is the acknowledged kingpin, and rightly so. He has earned that!!!

When I say it is not about money with Peyton, he said he would be willing to make any new contract based largely on performance. He can certainly afford to do that, and I believe he will agree to that wherever he goes.

I'm sure this may have been the way it was posed to you, but it's a gross exaggeration.

Of coarse they were going to compete.

Peyton's known to hog practice snaps. How does that assist grooming someone for the future.

Also, at this time Peyton isn't 100%, and there's no promise he will be by training camp or week 1.

Ever since he was medically cleared to play it's only been a performance issue, and when there's a performance issue, there's competition. Doesn't matter why there's a performance issue.

Training camp comes and Peyton's 100%, Luck holds the clip board.

No controversy there.

"Wake up people, Peyton wasn't this team..." Hmm...

He had 35 fourth-quarter comebacks and he led 46 game-winning drives. He did. Not the defense, not Dungy, not Irsay---him. Peyton. Peyton Manning. This man is the greatest Colt of all time, and regardless of opinion, he was the reason the Colts were the 'winningest' team of the 2000-2010 decade. Need I say more?

Yes, you still need to include 'In my opinion'.

I've seen them both, and may even lean your way, but it's still your opinion.

Besides this is a stupid thing to be arguing, and it was started by a troll.

Does anyone think it is possible that Peyton will retire from another team? What if he goes on to be more successful, winning more superbowls, breaking more records, more MVP's and plays another 5 years? What if this decision will come back to haunt the Colts? Will the fans be angry at him or remember this decision and support his choice not to retire as a Colt?

Does anyone think it is possible that Peyton will retire from another team? What if he goes on to be more successful, winning more superbowls, breaking more records, more MVP's and plays another 5 years? What if this decision will come back to haunt the Colts? Will the fans be angry at him or remember this decision and support his choice not to retire as a Colt?

As competitive as Manning is I would not discount this as a possibility, but the city of Indy will always be his place. You don't do what he has done with so much charity and then just walk away from the city. The football team is another matter- if he kicks our butt for the next several years and wins a SB, who knows.

If Manning did indeed decide to leave on his own terms, I can assure you it had absolutely nothing to do with letting Luck get experience. Manning has worked too hard in his rehab to just step aside for a rookie QB. This decision is all about Manning wanting to further his career, win more Super Bowls, and retire on his own terms. Manning is a class act but in this situation he has to put himself first. How many of you would just step aside to a rookie when you've worked hard rehabbing and know in your heart that you still have plenty left in the tank? I for one wouldn't.

Well then history will repeat itself. PM following the footsteps of Unitas. Hopefully, he'll have a better Colt after-life than the U.

Irsay probably won't get a good nights sleep for a long time.

oh wait, he was born with a silver spoon and a millionaire so he will sleep well, but maybe he'll sweat a little until Luck proves himself a good choice.

The jealousy towards the rich in this country is sickening.

What does Irsay having money have to do with this situation?

i bet after Peyton is done playing the Colts will sign him to a one day contract so he can retire as a Colt

That would be meaningless to me, specially if he does come back 100% healthy and wins another SB somewhere else! They had an opportunity to get that done and they've failed / refused to make it happen,

I think the franchise is entering some shaky territory, maybe they'll end up in LA after all?

Yes, you still need to include 'In my opinion'.

I've seen them both, and may even lean your way, but it's still your opinion.

Besides this is a stupid thing to be arguing, and it was started by a troll.

I thought that what my opinion is was rather clear. Also, my statement was in reference to the title of this topic "The Greatest Colt of All Time..." Many were arguing that point, and I was making my case for him being the greatest Colt, indisputably.