Adding Pieces To The Puzzle

WeSpy

Adding Pieces To The Puzzle  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• I Prefer Free Agency To Build My Team
    • I Prefer The Draft To Build My Team
    • I Prefer Some Of Each To Build My Team

I think every member of this forum would agree that the Colts are not a Super Bowl caliber team at this time. The method for adding the necessary players to accomplish this, however, has been a moot point. Many prefer signing veterans, free agents, to drafting unproven rookies---no matter how good the prospect is. Still, this view was not endorsed by Tony Dungy, who believed that bringing in a player from another team usually caused division. Following his opinion, the Colts have been largely successful for the past many years, racking up the most league wins of the 2000-2010 decade.

Another much respected coach, Bill Belichick, has added through both free agency and the draft, and has fielded a solid squad every year. (Keep in mind, though, that he has not struck gold on many of his free agent signees.)

A coach regarded as 'up-and-coming', Rex Ryan, has added largely through free agency and has not done well in the draft, and with the exception of last year, participated in the AFC championship game the last three years.

All three men had different methods. All three men are successful, and there really is no 'correct' answer here. This topic is merely intended to draw debate to a new line of thought. So what do you prefer? Drafting rookies, signing veterans, or a mix of the two?

I think you have to use all the tools available to you to build or rebuild your team as best you can within the constraints of the salary cap and other league rules.

FA is an expensive way to go, and does not build in the LT identification and loyalty players have with your team, but it provides you with proven talent that you can use to fill holes immediately. Developing draftees is a longer term prospect, and you run the risk of busts, especially with picks beyond the 4th round.

Some of each, no question. You need to use whatever you can. If there are no solid guards in the draft this year, but your team needs a guard, are you just going to wait until next year and let your QB and running game take a fall? Or would you go after a guy like Grubbs or Nicks to improve your pass protection and running game? You don't need to go crazy in FA and sign every big name out there (isn't that right, Washington or Philly?), but if there's a solid player there that'll fit your system and do well, go after him if you can afford it

Some of each, no question. You need to use whatever you can. If there are no solid guards in the draft this year, but your team needs a guard, are you just going to wait until next year and let your QB and running game take a fall? Or would you go after a guy like Grubbs or Nicks to improve your pass protection and running game? You don't need to go crazy in FA and sign every big name out there (isn't that right, Washington or Philly?), but if there's a solid player there that'll fit your system and do well, go after him if you can afford it

Right. This is what I believe as well. For example, Ernie Simms was not a big name in free agency nor did he cause salary cap problems, but he was a good player and a nice contributor last year when he played, and we needed veteran leadership among the linebacking core with Brackett out and Session gone.

I think every member of this forum would agree that the Colts are not a Super Bowl caliber team at this time. The method for adding the necessary players to accomplish this, however, has been a moot point. Many prefer signing veterans, free agents, to drafting unproven rookies---no matter how good the prospect is. Still, this view was not endorsed by Tony Dungy, who believed that bringing in a player from another team usually caused division. Following his opinion, the Colts have been largely successful for the past many years, racking up the most league wins of the 2000-2010 decade.

Another much respected coach, Bill Belichick, has added through both free agency and the draft, and has fielded a solid squad every year. (Keep in mind, though, that he has not struck gold on many of his free agent signees.)

A coach regarded as 'up-and-coming', Rex Ryan, has added largely through free agency and has not done well in the draft, and with the exception of last year, participated in the AFC championship game the last three years.

All three men had different methods. All three men are successful, and there really is no 'correct' answer here. This topic is merely intended to draw debate to a new line of thought. So what do you prefer? Drafting rookies, signing veterans, or a mix of the two?

I think the Colst are playoff team at full strength.....because they were for 10 years in a row before 2011

But you always use everything you can....

Obviously...the draft is cheaper than free agency..and thats pretty much what we're limited to right now

I think the Colst are playoff team at full strength.....because they were for 10 years in a row before 2011

But you always use everything you can....

Obviously...the draft is cheaper than free agency..and thats pretty much what we're limited to right now

Absolutely they are if every player is 100% healthy.

Something else that I think is important is that you stick with the players you bring in. Cleveland is a prime example of this. They have had a slew of good players come in over the years, drafted high nearly every year, and still lose all the time.

If they still had some of those playmakers on offense and defense (Joe Jurevicius, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, and Andra Davis to name several more recent weapons) they would be a tough match-up for any team. They are going to shoot themselves in the foot again this year when they let Hillis leave.

In my opinion, you've got to stick with the people you have. Not to a point of ridiculousness, obviously...

In the case of the Browns: You don't need to draft RG3, you have a decent QB in Colt McCoy. Anyone would struggle if Greg Little was their #1 pass catcher. So use the multiple picks you have in the first round to put players around him. Keep Hillis to tote the pigskin, keep McCoy to throw it, draft a corner to play alongside Joe Haden, and put an explosive playmaker on the offense for McCoy to utilize in the pass game.

It seems simple, but they have been messing things up for years instead of committing to who they have. And it wouldn't surprise me to see them trade their draft picks away for RG3.

A good football coach wants to win every year. He wants the best football players he can get to achieve his goals. The draft is the most important tool because it is the back bone of the team but just like Superman said above do you not fill a need because the player you want is not in the draft this year. You take the best football players regardless of position in the draft and fill in with free agents. The Super Bowl Dungy won was aided by Booger McFarland at DT. We gave up a draft pick for McFarland but it would have been beneficial if we could have gotten him as a free agent and used the draft pick down the road. This just shows the third option in team building not mentioned above which is trades. Using the draft as the main option is the best overall but all three should be used from time to time.

We know why we were 2-14 in 2011. We went from 28 points a game to 13 points a game because one guy couldnt play

If he's back..we're a playoff team this fall.

and any playoff team is potentially a super Bowl team

I think, problem of last season is more shaded. PM didn't play in D, and our D-performance was really solid even in 2010 season, but O could compensate this at some level. Last 2011 season neither O, nor D performed well (actually they both were terrible), and it was due to some coaching problems and managements (GM's) wrong decision about depth chart of QB post, I mean Collins and Painter couldn't fill in the hole on this post, Orlovsky was better (at least he could win twice) but he had only the last 4 games.

As far as I can see there are more hole int the roster, beside PM, and this rebuilding is more than necessary. I would be glad if we could combine vets and rookies, to build a team that can be successful in the next season, and over the next decade too. PM, Wayne, Mathis...and players like them can be foundations of a new team, however a new team should be built.