Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We won't trade Number 6

I don't know if anyone else listens to Adam Shefter's podcast, but he interviewed Chris Ballard during the NFL meetings and when talking about the trade he said he didn't talk to teams farther down because he want's to stay in position to get top talent or how he described it "A premium player". To me that sounds like he wouldn't want to make another trade like with  Buffalo because it would push us out of the position to get what he believes are the Premium Players.

• Like 2

I think if we do trade back, it won’t be until we’re on the clock. 

Ballard will have a better idea of who’s available if he drops back, and the QB thirsty team that wants our pick will just be even more thirsty once they have certainty.

But, like many have said, the Giants really hold most of the cards at the moment. If Buffalo moves up to 2, it changes everything.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I don't know if anyone else listens to Adam Shefter's podcast, but he interviewed Chris Ballard during the NFL meetings and when talking about the trade he said he didn't talk to teams farther down because he want's to stay in position to get top talent or how he described it "A premium player". To me that sounds like he wouldn't want to make another trade like with  Buffalo because it would push us out of the position to get what he believes are the Premium Players.

He will trade down IF a Top 4 QB is there AND the offers are Desirable.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

.animated_1522551770218.gif

40 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I think if we do trade back, it won’t be until we’re on the clock. 

Ballard will have a better idea of who’s available if he drops back, and the QB thirsty team that wants our pick will just be even more thirsty once they have certainty.

But, like many have said, the Giants really hold most of the cards at the moment. If Buffalo moves up to 2, it changes everything.

Don’t lose sight of the fact that a Giants trade with Buffalo is a good thing for the Colts. It means a QB is definitely coming off the board at 2. Which expands the odds that the Colts will have the choice to draft a non QB yet seriously impactful player at 6. Perfect. 

• Like 1

I think the reality is, ANY trade.... that dramatically helps the Colts, has to be considered

The Cowboys trade with the Vikings for an enormous number of players for Hershal Walker, was the start of an amazing multi SB run by the Cowboys for a few years.

They picked up a large number of draft picks.... they drafted well

The Vikings fell in love with a single player..... they had to have him..... and the Cowboys went to the SB

After seeing the high number of blue chip, "cant miss" prospects not pan out the last 20 years, to me, the odds of success means increasing the number of picks in the "impact rounds" (1-3)

This is why I LOVE the Jets trade, and I fully support and applaud another trade, away from 6,

IF (only IF) we can pick up multiple good picks in the 1-3 rounds. (Picks that make it a deal)

Of course a few players are successful from the later rounds. BUT ..........

Think back.....  There seems to be MANY more "cant miss" prospects.... that MISSED, vs later round SUPRISES.......

The miss comes from injuries, wrong fit, poor performance, etc - It really doesnt matter 

WHY a player doesnt play up to draft level,

If a cant miss player CANT PLAY, they arent contributing

As an example (Yeah.... Im old)

We had the first 2 picks in the NFL 1992 draft

We drafted two.... that CANT MISS  Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt

Number of Pro Bowls - 0

Emtman was injured, and was out of the league in a few years. Coryatt had ONE decent year, but overall was outplayed by some undrafted players

No one can control injuries, but there are no "for sures" for picks

IMHO, if no one offers a great deal, you pick BPO.......  but.......if I am BC, my phone is right in front of me, on draft day waiting for "the deal"

It may come..... it may not......  

Just my 2 cents.......

• Like 1

If the bills are serious about getting one of the four QBs, I can see them trading with the giants or browns before they consider trading with us especially with the hard ball Ballard plays. You can tell Ballard is one tough negotiator just from free agency so unless the bills give them the ENTIRE barn and by the barn, I mean both first round picks, both seconds, and a first next year, I doubt Ballard even entertains it.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If the bills are serious about getting one of the four QBs, I can see them trading with the giants or browns before they consider trading with us especially with the hard ball Ballard plays. You can tell Ballard is one tough negotiator just from free agency so unless the bills give them the ENTIRE barn and by the barn, I mean both first round picks, both seconds, and a first next year. anything less then that and I doubt Ballard even entertains it.

Outside of Buffalo, I don't think there is another team that has enough to offer to get Ballard to move down again, and at #12 you're probably not getting an elite player. Even if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are all off the board in the first five picks, I think Ballard sticks with what he has. Right now, with #6 you should get an elite player that would be an immediate, no-brainer starter and potential Pro Bowler. With #36 and #37 you get two players who should be immediate starters. Follow that up with #49 and that high third rounder at #67, and you have two more potential starters or solid rotational guys. Really, anything in the 4th round or later is a crapshoot anyway. Sometimes you find gold, but most of the time you find some guys who can marinate on the practice squad for a year or so, then either move up or move out. 

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think the reality is, ANY trade.... that dramatically helps the Colts, has to be considered

The Cowboys trade with the Vikings for an enormous number of players for Hershal Walker, was the start of an amazing multi SB run by the Cowboys for a few years.

They picked up a large number of draft picks.... they drafted well

The Vikings fell in love with a single player..... they had to have him..... and the Cowboys went to the SB

After seeing the high number of blue chip, "cant miss" prospects not pan out the last 20 years, to me, the odds of success means increasing the number of picks in the "impact rounds" (1-3)

This is why I LOVE the Jets trade, and I fully support and applaud another trade, away from 6,

IF (only IF) we can pick up multiple good picks in the 1-3 rounds. (Picks that make it a deal)

Of course a few players are successful from the later rounds. BUT ..........

Think back.....  There seems to be MANY more "cant miss" prospects.... that MISSED, vs later round SUPRISES.......

The miss comes from injuries, wrong fit, poor performance, etc - It really doesnt matter 

WHY a player doesnt play up to draft level,

If a cant miss player CANT PLAY, they arent contributing

As an example (Yeah.... Im old)

We had the first 2 picks in the NFL 1992 draft

We drafted two.... that CANT MISS  Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt

Number of Pro Bowls - 0

Emtman was injured, and was out of the league in a few years. Coryatt had ONE decent year, but overall was outplayed by some undrafted players

No one can control injuries, but there are no "for sures" for picks

IMHO, if no one offers a great deal, you pick BPO.......  but.......if I am BC, my phone is right in front of me, on draft day waiting for "the deal"

It may come..... it may not......  

Just my 2 cents.......

That was a historic  trade that teams learned from as well as the Mike Ditka  trade for the saints.  I don't foresee any team as needy as the before mentioned. The chances are slim to none that history in this instance will repeat itself

43 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Outside of Buffalo, I don't think there is another team that has enough to offer to get Ballard to move down again, and at #12 you're probably not getting an elite player. Even if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are all off the board in the first five picks, I think Ballard sticks with what he has. Right now, with #6 you should get an elite player that would be an immediate, no-brainer starter and potential Pro Bowler. With #36 and #37 you get two players who should be immediate starters. Follow that up with #49 and that high third rounder at #67, and you have two more potential starters or solid rotational guys. Really, anything in the 4th round or later is a crapshoot anyway. Sometimes you find gold, but most of the time you find some guys who can marinate on the practice squad for a year or so, then either move up or move out. 

, Buffalo is the team that could make it happen..... this year. But unless the picks fall a certain way, its probably not going to happen. (The 4th QB needs to be available at 6)

Also, Miami could do a trade for the 11th and thier 2nd,,,,,,, And next years number 1.......... 

I would take it    Edmunds might still be there at 11

4 picks in the 2nd would be a HAUL....... and next year......  good to go

Probably not going to happen,,,,,,,, but I would at least listen....

5 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

That was a historic  trade that teams learned from as well as the Mike Ditka  trade for the saints.  I don't foresee any team as needy as the before mentioned. The chances are slim to none that history in this instance will repeat itself

Lol really... Let me introduce you to a guy named RG 3 and the years of draft picks Snyder saw fit to trade ...teams are gonna be dumb.  It's in their nature. They want to outsmart everyone else on the next big thing.  If you truly believe teams have "learned" from other franchises (heck even their own) then you sir are going to be pleasantly surprised.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:53 PM, Zoltan said:

He probably has a preference towards staying at 6 but he could probably be bought out of it for the right price.  

Also I think a lot may depend on who is there at 6 on draft day.  

My guess is that Buffalo might have a standing offer to Ballard that they might only pull the trigger on draft day if a certain player is there that Buffalo wants and Ballard might only pull the trigger on it if certain players are not there that he wants.

I do agree that he has a preference for 6 but I'm sure there is a price that could buy him out of 6.  

I mean what if Buffalo offered their entire draft to move up to 6?  I doubt that is the case but if that was I'd be mad at Ballard for not taking that if it was offered.  

• Like 1