Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts secondary

TdungyW/12

41 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Do you think with Eli Apple and janoris Hankins being a possible cut from giants that the colts should pick them up to add to our young secondary?

IMO I think it would be good to add depth and competition. 

No Apple is terrible Jenkins is inconsistent rather go with younger guys.

If the NYG cut Jenkins, the Colts kick the tires to see if they can keep him cheap. Add Jenkins to the list of interesting vet players that could be cut. And with $80M in cap space, Ballard could do some work.

But if the NYG can't find a trade partners and have to cut Apple, the Colts should put in a claim. I know he was a bit of a headcase in NY, but that team was a circus last season. He's still a talented young DB...and maybe having his former college teammate (Hooker), former NYG teammate and OSU alum (Hankins) and another OSU alum (Simon)...would help straighten him out. Along with Ballard, Eberflus and Reich here now, I think the Colts situation is as good as any. 

And based on the waiver order (players with four or less years of service are exposed to waivers), the Colts would have second dibs on him....and they would get him for whatever base salary he has remaining. Right now, that's ~$2M/year for a couple seasons (and they would have the rights to his rookie option).

But the NYG are trying use his suspension as a way to void his remaining base salary (which is guaranteed). If they accomplish that, that reduces his salary even further. But I don't know how that affects his FA status (I would assume he would have to be exposed to waivers...but I don't know).

Either way, if he makes it to waivers, I think Apple is worth the roll of a dice.

23 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No Apple is terrible Jenkins is inconsistent rather go with younger guys.

10$ says if they get picked up by NE they turn into pro bowlers ..... it’s about atmosphere and coaching. The giants were a joke and a circus last year. Colts weren’t better record wise but we aren’t in the spotlight and have circus teammates like Odell. I think it would work out for them in the long run to get a change. 

50 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Eli Apple is a head case. I wouldn't even take a look.

Yes seeing as the giants were a circus last year ... not to mention with Beckham there. Yeah he’s good but so not worth the trouble and headaches he brings. Change of scenary would do them good I bet. 

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

10$ says if they get picked up by NE they turn into pro bowlers ..... it’s about atmosphere and coaching. The giants were a joke and a circus last year. Colts weren’t better record wise but we aren’t in the spotlight and have circus teammates like Odell. I think it would work out for them in the long run to get a change. 

Not likely cause there were a few on here saying then when the Colts traded Allen and Dorsett to the pats they left here losers and a year later they are still losers.

It's interesting. Looking at the Quincy Wilson posts, nearly all fans here are willing to be patient with him and were confused/annoyed by his lack of playing time this team. 

Yet it sounds like most fans here wouldn't even consider giving Apple a chance.

I am not going to pretend their situations are the same because I don't know the details, but it does seem like there are some similarities:

• Both had controversy surrounding this past season
  • Both were young when they entered the NFL, almost at an identical age (within a week)
  • Both played on dumpster fire teams last season (currently drafting #2 and #3 respectively)
  • Both players have been called immature by their coaches (and others) and criticized for how they have practiced 
  • Both were healthy scratches for multiple games 
  • Both said to "ask the coach" when asked why they weren't playing

Apple never had a problem with Urban Meyer at OSU, who has always had good things to say. Apple was showing improvement his rookie season...and then this past season happened. I think the Colts are actually in a good position to roll the dice on someone like Apple (they currently have three OSU alums and a couple of former teammates). 

Granted, Apple was in his second season and Wilson was a rookie, but I think if you are excited about Wilson getting a chance next season, you would likely be at least open to giving Apple a chance.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's interesting. Looking at the Quincy Wilson posts, nearly all fans here are willing to be patient with him and were confused/annoyed by his lack of playing time this team. 

Yet it sounds like most fans here wouldn't even consider giving Apple a chance.

I am not going to pretend their situations are the same because I don't know the details, but it does seem like there are some similarities:

• Both had controversy surrounding this past season
  • Both were young when they entered the NFL, almost at an identical age (within a week)
  • Both played on dumpster fire teams last season (currently drafting #2 and #3 respectively)
  • Both players have been called immature by their coaches (and others) and criticized for how they have practiced 
  • Both were healthy scratches for multiple games 
  • Both said to "ask the coach" when asked why they weren't playing

Apple never had a problem with Urban Meyer at OSU, who has always had good things to say. Apple was showing improvement his rookie season...and then this past season happened. I think the Colts are actually in a good position to roll the dice on someone like Apple (they currently have three OSU alums and a couple of former teammates). 

Granted, Apple was in his second season and Wilson was a rookie, but I think if you are excited about Wilson getting a chance next season, you would likely be at least open to giving Apple a chance.

I just feel given a second chance in a different atmosphere would do this kid good! 

I feel NY and the Beckham Circus is not good for a young kid.

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Our secondary is the least of our worries in the off season. 

True but too add 1 ta 2 1 year competition/depth contracts wouldn’t hurt. 

I for one was NOT one of those that thought Allen and Dorset was going to work out with NE. Allen just can’t catch only good for blocking and Dorset was just a fast miss. 

11 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I just feel given a second chance in a different atmosphere would do this kid good! 

I feel NY and the Beckham Circus is not good for a young kid.

I agree. And I think Indy could be that place. He and Hooker practiced together at OSU. He played with Joshua Perry (if he makes the team) at OSU for two seasons. Hankins was his NYG teammate and is a former OSU alum. Simon is also an OSU alum.

Of course the Colts aren't the only team has OSU alum, or even Apple's former teammates. But it could be a good situation for him here.

10 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

True but too add 1 ta 2 1 year competition/depth contracts wouldn’t hurt. 

I for one was NOT one of those that thought Allen and Dorset was going to work out with NE. Allen just can’t catch only good for blocking and Dorset was just a fast miss. 

If I had to bet on it...I would bet Ballard brings in at least two DBs that he expects to play significant roles next season.

No interest in Apple, but I'd be interested in Jenkins.. I think he's a good corner. 2nd team All-Pro in '16, when the Giants weren't a dumpster fire. He does turn 30 but if he's cut, I'd assume he's not getting a rich contract. Maybe in the 8-10M range. His game isn't built on athleticism so I think he can have few more years in him.

58 minutes ago, Finball said:

No interest in Apple, but I'd be interested in Jenkins.. I think he's a good corner. 2nd team All-Pro in '16, when the Giants weren't a dumpster fire. He does turn 30 but if he's cut, I'd assume he's not getting a rich contract. Maybe in the 8-10M range. His game isn't built on athleticism so I think he can have few more years in him.

I’d bring in Apple and get him away from NY and see how he does. 

I would absolutely take a chance on Eli Apple! Rumor has it there were some personal things going on in his life that interfered with his mental and emotional well being last year.

6'1" - 200 lbs and runs a 4.40 40....yes, match him up with Wilson and Hairston and that would be an up and coming young, athletic, playmaking secondary! 

Not even counting Hooker, Geathers and Farley....

Jenkins is actually a really good corner. I’ll disagree with those that say he is inconsistent. When he is focused and locked in, he is one of the best in the league. The problem with Jenkins is the fact that he is a gambler and loves to make the big plays. His mentality leaves him susceptible to double moves. He plays a lot like Asante Samuel or Marcus Peters .He would be a good addition, but I don’t think he would come cheap.