Frank Reich HC - #3 is Barkley or Chubb

ThorstenDenmark

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Our O-line is gonna need some work too

Besides Barkley focus the draft on D, our GMs supposed specialty. Use FA for o line and other needs. Plus Penn St did not have a great o line either, which IMO is why Saquon would often bounce outside to get in space. He also knew he could not afford to go down so i understand him not inviting unnecessary contact.

8 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

In this case, I'd go for the more talented player at their position.

Barkley.

If Chubb is a JJ Watt type freak then I'd pick him, but he doesn't look like he'll be at that level to me. He's an athletic freak for sure but I'd like to see better technique from him down the stretch. 

Barkley just seems insane. But my nagging intuition always tells me picking up a back this early is bad. Even though that's not really the case.

Possibly, 5 years down the road and that's a big possibly, if we get him it will be a smokeshow top story NFL live every week..He is that GUY

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well I guess we haven't learned anything about having a high powered offense without having a defense that can stop other QBs from looking like all pro QBs against us. We will never beat Brady or QBs of his caliber without the best pass rushers available.

You also need to score against the Brady's, etc.. Philly gave up 33 points with a supposed Great Defense. They needed all of that 41 to win. Of course having solid Pass Rushers is important, I would be a fool to think otherwise but I am not sold on Chubb being Great. Maybe you are and that is where we differ.

Just now, life long said:

Besides Barkley focus the draft on D, our GMs supposed specialty. Use FA for o line and other needs. Plus Penn St did not have a great o line either, which IMO is why Saquon woukd often bounce outside to get in space. He also knew he could not afford to go down so i understand him not inviting unnecessary contact.

Well Barkley is not going to be going up against college players so we will see.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You also need to score against the Brady's, etc.. Philly gave up 33 points with a supposed Great Defense. They needed all of that 41 to win. Of course having solid Pass Rushers is important, I would be a fool to think otherwise but I am not sold on Chubb being Great. Maybe you are and that is where we differ.

Well the pass rusher who stripped sacked Brady to help win the super bowl for the Eagles come from somewhere. We have no one on our roster who has that capabilities right now do we?

3 minutes ago, life long said:

Same can be said for Chubb. He did not look as dominant as Barkley did against similar/lesser competition.... IMO.

I am not saying Barkley is not going to be a great player. What I am saying is we need pass rushers more than we need Barkley. There will be no pass rushers in free agency. The good ones don't hit free agency.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well the pass rusher who stripped sacked Brady to help win the super bowl for the Eagles come from somewhere. We have no one on our roster who has that capabilities right now do we?

Yes he did. So why does it seem unreasonable to most people that we cant pick a Pass Rusher in Round 2, 3, or 4 that could make 1 or even 2 huge plays? That was the only big play Philly's Defense made in the whole game and it wasn't by someone that was picked in the Top 3 in the Draft.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Agreed but that guy you mentioned wasnt a top 3 pick was he? And obviously most of us know we are not a real threat for a SB next year... So maybe grab that difference maker on the D line in the following years draft? Or maybe sign a good FA, maybe we can find this years Melvin ( a pass rushing equivalent) and he will be someone who no one is excited for when he is signed just like Melvin.

Yes he did. So why does it seem unreasonable to most people that we cant pick a Pass Rusher in Round 2, 3, or 4 that could make 1 or even 2 huge plays? That was the only big play Philly's Defense made in the whole game and it wasn't by someone that was picked in the Top 3 in the Draft.

That may be true but the defensive end Brandon Graham was drafted in the 1st round pick #13. 9.5 sacks, 47 tackles and 2 forced fumbles this season.  I think we could use a little of that more than Barkley at this point.

I think he made a little more than 1 or 2 good plays this season. He came thru when needed.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Robert Mathis got drafted in Round 5. It's unreasonable to think we cant Draft a Great Pass Rusher in Rounds 2, 3, or 4.

Mathis type players are few and far between. It's more unreasonable to think you can find a player of his caliber in rounds 2-4.

I think this debate is for not anyway. The Giants are going to take Barkley.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mathis type players are few and far between. It's more unreasonable to think you can find a player of his caliber in rounds 2-4.

I think this debate is for not anyway. The Giants are going to take Barkley.

If the Giants take Barkley then I am ok with Taking Chubb. I think Chubb will make an impact and be Good. Just not sold on him being Great. I am not so sure the Giants don't take a QB though. They still want to roll with Eli but probably only for another year or 2 so it would make sense for them to take a QB to get groomed. They may never pick that high again is why. A franchise QB that is young don't come around very often. Eli is no spring chicken.

If the Giants take Barkley then I am ok with Taking Chubb. I think Chubb will make an impact and be Good. Just not sold on him being Great. I am not so sure the Giants don't take a QB though. They still want to roll with Eli but probably only for another year or 2 so it would make sense for them to take a QB to get groomed. They may never pick that high again is why. A franchise QB that is young don't come around very often. Eli is no spring chicken.

They got  Webb waiting in the wings ,they got their future QB in their minds right or wrong..They will be taking Barkley or Chubb or trading back..

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is true but there will be a few QBs coming out in the next couple of years that will warrant attention. Honestly I am not that impressed with this years Qbs coming out.

The Giants have no RBs on their roster who wouldn't struggle making another teams roster. They are getting their top two receivers back and all they need is a great RB to be right back in contention for that division.

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Webb can play..No Luck's in this draft, Id take Brissett over any of them..

I have no problem with Brissett if Luck won't be playing. Especially with Riech as the head coach. I am sure Frank can find the time to work with him if it comes down to that.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have no problem with Brissett if Luck won't be playing. Especially with Riech as the head coach. I am sure Frank can find the time to work with him if it comes down to that.

It's probably gonna come down to that..I have no issues with it either..Especially with Reich in new offense I know Brissett will turn many into believers..

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

It's probably gonna come down to that..I have no issues with it either..Especially with Reich in new offense I know Brissett will turn many into believers..

Well Ballard did say Brissett was traded for the future.  Not much more to say but lets see I guess.

I'd like to swing a deal for Tevin Coleman. Work him alongside Mack. Bring in Blount for the heavy lifting. I'd be perfectly fine with that. They are saying Coleman has trade value due to Freemans extension. You dont need to spend a high round pick on a back to create explosive offense. In most cases you do have to draft high for defense if you want solid players. Especially along your DL and your Ends.

Would like to see us focus on building the OL and the pass rush in this draft and FA. LB also. Those are the primary areas. Most of the running game on offense comes from what your line does anyway. Its been proven over and over again that you don't need premier backs to have explosive offense. Ask the Pats, Ask the Saints, Ask the Eagles, Ask the Falcons. Heck you can even ask the Chiefs. I wouldn't pass over a premier pass rusher assuming another would be available later. Teams place premiums on pass rushers. They dont place premiums on RBs. Likelihood is higher you'll find the runner. And if you don't it still doesnt mean you wont score a lot.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Robert Mathis got drafted in Round 5. It's unreasonable to think we cant Draft a Great Pass Rusher in Rounds 2, 3, or 4.

Do you think if the Dungy Colts had this #3 pick they would wait until Rd#5 looking for pass rush if the best pass rusher in the whole draft w were available and on the board? I doubt it.

56 minutes ago, krunk said:

Would like to see us focus on building the OL and the pass rush in this draft and FA. LB also. Those are the primary areas. Most of the running game on offense comes from what your line does anyway. Its been proven over and over again that you don't need premier backs to have explosive offense. Ask the Pats, Ask the Saints, Ask the Eagles, Ask the Falcons. Heck you can even ask the Chiefs. I wouldn't pass over a premier pass rusher assuming another would be available later. Teams place premiums on pass rushers. They dont place premiums on RBs. Likelihood is higher you'll find the runner. And if you don't it still doesnt mean you wont score a lot.

Your theory is usually correct, but if you pass on Barkley I hope it's 100% correct or you'll regret it...

I think people are really underestimating Marlon Mack. He is a legit starter in the NFL and will be for 2018. He's a 1000 yrd rusher every year with a better Oline. I'm no professional but I see him doing exactly what Kamara did for the Saints easily every year as the 1RB. He reminds me of Reggie Bush but bigger and stronger. I think him and Luck will do great together. Focus should be either Oline or Dline with first pick. Worry about a RB in the later rounds. Barkley is more of a Want than an actual Need this year. Nelson or Chubb is the best players available that we actually Need. 

Putting furniture in a house with no walls will only lead to ruined furniture. Leave money unprotected and it will eventually get taken away. Appreciate Andrew Luck and apologize for taking him for granted and build a OLine to protect him for the rest of his career so he can reward the entire Colts organization and Fans with Divisional and Superbowl victories. 

7 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Your theory is usually correct, but if you pass on Barkley I hope it's 100% correct or you'll regret it...

I wouldn't regret it because again its been proven countless times it really doesnt have much effect on us being a high scoring dominant offense. That's why I maintain id only do Barkley if Chubb wasn't available. When Luck was healthy we were a top 10 offense with Frank Gore at RB. If the line was better he probably would have gone for 1500. This off season I would focus on fixing my lines on both sides of the ball along with the LB spots. That's where my focus would be over everything. Fix that line and its much more likely we will be a productive rushing team. Can be done without Barkley as much as i like him.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Do you think if the Dungy Colts had this #3 pick they would wait until Rd#5 looking for pass rush if the best pass rusher in the whole draft w were available and on the board? I doubt it.

You missed my point completely. My point is Mathis went in Round 5, not #3 overall. I was pointing out, it isn't unreasonable to think we can get a Good Pass Rusher in Round 2 or even 3. With the great Bill Polian running the show we sure did pick Edge James in the Top 5 and nobody had a problem with that.