Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Special Teams Crisis

Shadow_Creek

From the start of the season our special teams was around average looking. But then i started to notice how rogers constantly kept fair catching the punts instead of taking a few chances. Now was that coaching's fault for telling him to fair catch it or was that on him? Because i really feel like Brissett would have had better passing results if our special teams would have placed us in better spots to work with.

Special Team Crisis???  Seriously?  That’s probably been our best & most consistent unit the last few years. Is this thread some round-a-bout way of pumping up Toub???  

Let’s go hire the special teams guru to solve our special teams crisis...  Never mind the fact that our special teams ranked higher than said guru’s.  Or the fact that said guru had the greatest return man in the history of the league for a lot of his career.  

Or do you really believe that special teams could have averted the real crisis of Chuck, Chud, & Ted?  We were doomed to ineptitude when those 3 were brought back and McMahon (our special teams coach) is one of the few if only coaches I’d even think about retaining.

1 minute ago, DaveA1102 said:

I thought special teams was the least of our problems last year!

I did always worry whenever Bray would come out of the endzone, never looked like he was going to make it past the 25.

i agree with that Mack did a way better job running out of the end zone.:rock:

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

From the start of the season our special teams was around average looking. But then i started to notice how rogers constantly kept fair catching the punts instead of taking a few chances. Now was that coaching's fault for telling him to fair catch it or was that on him? Because i really feel like Brissett would have had better passing results if our special teams would have placed us in better spots to work with.

I figured Toub had a good agent. Welcome to our board!

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

"Special teams crisis"

Pfft. Child please.

I lived through the Dungy-Caldwell era. Get on out of here with this nonsense. 

Pre Super Bowl vs. Bears. Not going to let Hester beat us, kick away from him, but will still encounter a storm they must weather to win the game.

Super Bowl day, Dungy decides that to kick away from DH is playing scared, tells team to kick to him, pound him, let the Bears know they took their best shot and persevered.  13 seconds later Hester is in the end zone with a TD.  Everyone looks at T. Dungy, who pauses then responds, “See, I told you there would be a storm”.

Colts kick away from Hester the rest of the game.  Win the game 29 - 17.

Awesome ST story...

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Pre Super Bowl vs. Bears. Not going to let Hester beat us, kick away from him, but will still encounter a storm they must weather to win the game.

Super Bowl day, Dungy decides that to kick away from DH is playing scared, tells team to kick to him, pound him, let the Bears know they took their best shot and persevered.  13 seconds later Hester is in the end zone with a TD.  Everyone looks at T. Dungy, who pauses then responds, “See, I told you there would be a storm”.

Awesome ST story...

lol Dungy's face expressions after that return were  probably like...O.o-omg-:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::hissy::headspin::thmup:

32 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Awesome ST story...

I think it was a fortunate play. The team very well could have thought we finally got over the Patriots...and not played with that same desperation and determination.....to get smacked in the mouth the first play jolted everyone into realizing we better come ready to play. I've never looked but I would bet teams that had SP teams TDs or huge field advantages because of it probably went on to win most SBs. Biggest play against us against the Saints was also a ST play...helped turn the whole game around.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

"Average" is above average for a 4 win team.

Crisis averted.

So perfect! I don't think I saw anything that jumped out at me this year. Running it out from the endzone almost never works...wish we wouldn't do that....and I almost always prefer to fair catch it. I don't think we have that dynamic a playmaker I want to risk a turnover .....or an inevitable block in the back or hold.....lets just fair catch them all...block no one and get no penalties....how about that!! I also ask that we always "CATCH" the ball outside the 10. Seems if the ball hits the ground it inevitably rolls 20 yds and we lose field position.

P.S. Greatest crisis was adverted when Chuck left....no more famous trick plays....no more 4th down trick plays and no more catch the ball on a punt against SF and then throw it across the whole field ala "music city miracle" and almost get it picked and taken for a TD. AVERAGE will be a blessing!!!