Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Foster Upbeat

bWild

Guys, you only need massive bulk to play a "true 3-4", which most teams don't really run. I'm sure we'll employ a 3-4 type look from time to time, but there won't be a ridiculous overhaul...

...and there's ALWAYS room on ANY teams roster for a guy like Foster who's a solid, relentless pass rusher.

Guys, you only need massive bulk to play a "true 3-4", which most teams don't really run. I'm sure we'll employ a 3-4 type look from time to time, but there won't be a ridiculous overhaul...

...and there's ALWAYS room on ANY teams roster for a guy like Foster who's a solid, relentless pass rusher.

I don't agree. Foster has always been completely overated by Colts fans(just like many of the other guys on the roster). People are in love with his "motor" and I get that, but he is not and never has been NFL caliber. He is a try hard guy, but the NFL is not a try hard league. I do agree that the Colts will not play a full blown 3-4 all the time, but the players they keep will have to be the best at their position on the team and Foster is not one of those guy's.

I don't agree. Foster has always been completely overated by Colts fans(just like many of the other guys on the roster). People are in love with his "motor" and I get that, but he is not and never has been NFL caliber. He is a try hard guy, but the NFL is not a try hard league. I do agree that the Colts will not play a full blown 3-4 all the time, but the players they keep will have to be the best at their position on the team and Foster is not one of those guy's.

You seem pretty knowledgable of NFL talent. What team do you scout for?

The ending of that video flat out had me goon laughing :lol:. It's good to see he's progressing and having a positive attitude. If he's really in between that 280-300lb range then he's got a decent shot at being a 3-4 DE. You don't need to be a 6'4-6'6 300-310lb guy to be an effective DE in a 3-4. Look at Cullen Jenkins when he was with the Packers he's 6'2 around that 295-300lb range and he was an effective DE so don't count Foster out in a 3-4 defense. Not saying he will be effective, but it is possible he can be.

I need to study up on my 3-4 but wouldn't he be a good size for a DE in the traditional 3-4 defense?

Or even better for a 1 gap 3-4? I think we might be getting carried away with the 3-4. Pagano is known to play to the strengths of his players, not force a system on incompatible players. Since there wont be much room to make moves in FA, I'd expect more of a agressive 4-3 next year.

C'mon! The dude makes plays whenever he's in the game. Give him some credit.

Are you serious? The dude's hardly big enough to play LBer in the 3-4. Foster will not be a Colt next season.

Regardless.....good for him! That was a horrific injury. Good on you Eric! Now go out there and break a leg! Figuratively. Don't like.... do that again, with the breaking your own leg thing. It's kinda gross.

Ken

Hi Barry!

Great to see you posting again brother. :highfive:

Hi Ken, when decreased my postings her did same on direct colts but still posted more on direct colts than here, as direct colts is closing april first, I am here more often, but things can always change pending issues previously noted

Ken

Hi Ken, when decreased my postings her did same on direct colts but still posted more on direct colts than here, as direct colts is closing april first, I am here more often, but things can always change pending issues previously noted

Well I hope to see you around here more often buddy, but we all understand why when your activity drops off. However it makes us worry, so try when you have time to give us a holler so we don't worry. As well, my best to you and Mom. Stay strong, as I know you will. We're all thinking about ya, I know that much.

Well I hope to see you around here more often buddy, but we all understand why when your activity drops off. However it makes us worry, so try when you have time to give us a holler so we don't worry. As well, my best to you and Mom. Stay strong, as I know you will. We're all thinking about ya, I know that much.

there have been some threads did alot of posting on, but just a select few , not participating in all so if u arent engaged in that one then u havent seen me but have posted alot and been quoted alot more relativity speaking

C'mon! The dude makes plays whenever he's in the game. Give him some credit.

I think fans see what they want to see and not nessasarily what is actually happening. Foster has made a hand full of plays in his career, but most of the time he was completely blown off the line by his opponent. I don't completely blame Foster. He has been playing out of position every since he's been here. No way that guy should have ever lined up at DT, he was WAY too small to play there. If he truely is up to 295 now like he claims, I would be interested to know if that is actual muscle or if its just because he's been very inactive for the last several months. I've said before I wished the other D-lineman had his heart and desire, but he, himself was never an NFL caliber DT.

I think fans see what they want to see and not nessasarily what is actually happening. Foster has made a hand full of plays in his career, but most of the time he was completely blown off the line by his opponent. I don't completely blame Foster. He has been playing out of position every since he's been here. No way that guy should have ever lined up at DT, he was WAY too small to play there. If he truely is up to 295 now like he claims, I would be interested to know if that is actual muscle or if its just because he's been very inactive for the last several months. I've said before I wished the other D-lineman had his heart and desire, but he, himself was never an NFL caliber DT.

I coach football, and I would take a guy like him anyday. Look at Warren Sapp, he wasn't ideal NFL size either, but that didn't stop him did it? The fact of the matter is that stat junkies live and die by measurables and molds, football guys like football players regardless of size or shape. Eric Foster is a football player, plain and simple. Since you're writing off guys that aren't "prototype"...

- Joe Montana: too small, not enough arm strength

- Tom Brady: too small, not enough arm strength

- Jerry Rice: too slow to be a real threat

- Dwight Freeney: too small, will be overwhelmed by larger Tackles

- Barry Sanders: too small, won't hold up physically

Should I stop there?! I could go all day.