Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are We Set At Te Or Do We Need Help?

likm

Are the set at TE with Dallas, Tamme and Brody? Do we need to upgrade or bring in some depth?

Brody was suppose to be a good blocker to help our line but he seems to be injured often. Dallas Clark has some pro bowl seasons but this past year was unimpressive. Did the QB situation hurt Dallas or is he on the downside? Tamme is OK but nothing spectacular. What do we need to do this off season in regards to our TE's? Go with what we got or bring a couple in? Thanks guys.........n gals.

Are the set at TE with Dallas, Tamme and Brody? Do we need to upgrade or bring in some depth?

Brody was suppose to be a good blocker to help our line but he seems to be injured often. Dallas Clark has some pro bowl seasons but this past year was unimpressive. Did the QB situation hurt Dallas or is he on the downside? Tamme is OK but nothing spectacular. What do we need to do this off season in regards to our TE's? Go with what we got or bring a couple in? Thanks guys.........n gals.

I'm glad you brought this up. We need to get rid of Dallas and we WILL be drafting a TE this year, I guarantee it. Everybody is going to be looking for that next Gronk or Hernandez, so the competition will be fierce.

Here's my guy;

1. Stanford_logo.gifCoby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 248.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2012): 2.
    1/24/11:Fleener was a dangerous receiver for quarterback Andrew Luck. In 2011, he had 32 receptions for 667 yards and 10 touchdowns. Fleener runs good routes and is adept at exploiting the deep middle of the field on seam routes. He should be a good fit in many pro offenses. Fleener is a technically sound blocker and was well coached at Stanford, but he should add some more bulk to help him as a blocker in the NFL.
    8/19/11: Coby Fleener is another well-rounded tight end who run blocks well and is a quality receiver. He caught 28 receptions for 434 yards and seven touchdowns in 2010.

ncf_i_fleener_200.jpg

I would like for them to get rid of Clark and Brody and sign Scott Chandler from Buffalo hes an up and comer that would not break the bank with great height and is a big target in the endzone. However I don't see this happening since Clark is still under contract for a healthy amount of $ so we'd have to release him if were going to move on because I don't see any teams trading for him. I also think Cody Fleener is going to be a good TE but the colts probably wont get him because he is more than likely going to go in the 2nd round and the colts are not going to use there second round pick on a TE.

I also think Cody Fleener is going to be a good TE but the colts probably wont get him because he is more than likely going to go in the 2nd round and the colts are not going to use there second round pick on a TE.

It's hard, well impossible, to tell how Irsay and Griggs are going to approach the draft strategy. Considering we have such broad ranging needs across the board, offense and defense, they may take the strategy of bulking up the offense this year and subsequently bulking up the defense next year. Typically they try to strike a balance but even in the best cases a team only gets 2-3 high quality picks. The rest are considerably more of a gamble.

The way I see it, if we want Fleener, we can have him.

I'm glad you brought this up. We need to get rid of Dallas and we WILL be drafting a TE this year, I guarantee it. Everybody is going to be looking for that next Gronk or Hernandez, so the competition will be fierce.

Here's my guy;

1/24/11:Fleener was a dangerous receiver for quarterback Andrew Luck. In 2011, he had 32 receptions for 667 yards and 10 touchdowns. Fleener runs good routes and is adept at exploiting the deep middle of the field on seam routes. He should be a good fit in many pro offenses. Fleener is a technically sound blocker and was well coached at Stanford, but he should add some more bulk to help him as a blocker in the NFL.
    8/19/11: Coby Fleener is another well-rounded tight end who run blocks well and is a quality receiver. He caught 28 receptions for 434 yards and seven touchdowns in 2010.

ncf_i_fleener_200.jpg

I like his size and numbers. I believe we need to upgrade at TE. Will the Colts go Luck and Fleener with their first 2 picks?

Heck no. (we are NOT set at TE)

I am a big Clark fan but IMO he is too small for today's passing game that I believe is going the route of the Gronk, Calvin Johnson and soon Blackmon.

Clark should be delegated to the slot receiver if we want to keep him.

Fleener should be drafted if we take Luck.

I like his size and numbers. I believe we need to upgrade at TE. Will the Colts go Luck and Fleener with their first 2 picks?

He needs some weight but yea, he's pretty good looking. I'm going to pay particular attention to him during the combine. Just these two pieces would set a great offensive standard for many years to come.

Here's my guy;

ncf_i_fleener_200.jpg

that would be a perfect pick if or when the colts draft luck. the colts would compliment luck with drafting this guy. hes big, has decent speed and can block. i kinda see him as another aaron hernandez or rob gronkowski. you could also place him in FB position to block on a 4th an inches kinda deal.

It's hard, well impossible, to tell how Irsay and Griggs are going to approach the draft strategy. Considering we have such broad ranging needs across the board, offense and defense, they may take the strategy of bulking up the offense this year and subsequently bulking up the defense next year. Typically they try to strike a balance but even in the best cases a team only gets 2-3 high quality picks. The rest are considerably more of a gamble.

Exactly. There's no way to know how the draft will be handled or even how much free agency may play in the thinking. It's a new world and we'll just have to see how this pans out.

I've liked Luck's TE teammate though and thought this would be a great pickup, but I don't know to the extent that it means 1st & 2nd round offensive picks. On the other hand, if you have needs everywhere and he's your can't miss guy then he's your guy. We'll see how the new front office handles things. We desperately need secondary help though......and we had better get quality there one way or another - high priority. I also think we should be in the market for another DT but I don't know how much value will be there in later rounds.

Itslinda ridiculous to think Dallas Clark can't work out as a TE because some other teams are using bigger TE. Clark runs great routes and is a excellent catcher. Keep him , then draft another TE in a few years.

The way he (Clark) played in 2011 I don't think even Manning would have helped him. Actually, Peyton had a habit of hanging Clark out to dry, which some have speculated may have caused him to become unnerved when attempting to make receptions across the middle. Which is why the bigger TE has become the trend IMO.

Since Fleener is a TE, I'm projecting him to go mid 2nd round at best. If the Colts could trade down from their 2nd round pick into later in the 2nd round, they may still be able to get Fleener.

I just feel 33rd overall for Fleener is a bit of a stretch considering we have Clark. We're also not sure what our situation is with Reggie.

Since Fleener is a TE, I'm projecting him to go mid 2nd round at best. If the Colts could trade down from their 2nd round pick into later in the 2nd round, they may still be able to get Fleener.

I just feel 33rd overall for Fleener is a bit of a stretch considering we have Clark. We're also not sure what our situation is with Reggie.

Perhaps Clark should be traded for a second round pick? Is that even an option? I'm not real draft savvy when it comes to the technical aspects and by-laws/rules.

If we are looking for a tall Gronkowski/Graham type te dont we have Anthony Hill on the roster still? I personally think he is good upon given a chance, JMO of course. And I still think Clarks' season was just a product of bad QB play and still being injured, somewhat.

The way I see it, if we want Fleener, we can have him.

This is very true I just don't think taking a TE as high as our 2nd rd pick would be very smart considering all the other needs we have on the team we have far bigger needs than TE IMO, but if we do have to take a TE in this yrs draft then yeah they probably better take him because this years TE class is pretty thin from what ive seen thus far.

This is very true I just don't think taking a TE as high as our 2nd rd pick would be very smart considering all the other needs we have on the team we have far bigger needs than TE IMO, but if we do have to take a TE in this yrs draft then yeah they probably better take him because this years TE class is pretty thin from what ive seen thus far.

The beauty of a complete TE is that you not only procure a solid receiver and scoring threat but you also gain a run blocker and pass protection. Just something to chew on, Mr Irsay, if you're listening. :wave:

You are right. I like the idea of mostly offense in 2012 draft and mostly defense in 2013 draft

Just these two pieces would set a great offensive standard for many years to come.

He could have a Gronk like impact. He and Luck could also benefit from each other early on and become a great duo

Heck no. (we are NOT set at TE)

I am a big Clark fan but IMO he is too small for today's passing game that I believe is going the route of the Gronk, Calvin Johnson and soon Blackmon.

Fleener should be drafted if we take Luck.

Fleener and Luck is a great package deal, who could become next year’s Dalton and Green. For the “small” Colts it would also be good to have a tall receiver type and a TE who can both block and receive, Fleener is and can be all of that.

Here's my guy;

ncf_i_fleener_200.jpg

I like him too and he's an obvious choice because he's familiar with luck but i can't see us picking him at top of 2nd round when we have more pressing needs.

I guess it could happen but I'd be surprised.

I agree tho that we need to improve the position. I'd like to see a blocking type TE as well since it looks like the running game will probably be utilized more in the future (and should be).

I like Fleener tho.

I agree with Joker that we have bigger needs, at least as far as the draft is concerned. But I also believe that our new braintrust is going to get a bit more smashmouth in the running game and I see a need for a power TE for the big package in the red zone.

That would be Brody Eldridge's role, hopefully he can stay healthy this season and the OC gets him more involved. He showed some upside in his rookie year when they actually used him.

Here's my guy;

ncf_i_fleener_200.jpg

It would be a good idea to pair Luck with his college TE....

..even if neither start immediately...

...but we are sorely in need of secondary people......