Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Will Carroll] Ballard and Irsays have already compiled coaching short lists. No unexpected names. Unlikely to fire Pagano in-season

stitches

8 hours ago, Darryl Lewis II said:

I have a question why do so many of you guys want Josh Mcdaniels? Something about that Nagy guy intrigues me Alex Smith is statistically having his best year with him as OC.

My guess is because he works for the Patriots and has done a good job under Belichick. I don't really want him because Patriot guys(besides BB) don't seem to work out as well. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

My guess is because he works for the Patriots and has done a good job under Belichick. I don't really want him because Patriot guys(besides BB) don't seem to work out as well. 

I would take McDaniels because he has shown that he can run an offense to the skills of his players.  Also, he knows how to exploit the defenses weak spots.  The Pats have not had a great o-line but he keeps D's on their toes and also runs quick plays to help Brady stay clean and make the line look good.  These are things we desperately need and Chud just does not do it.

27 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would take McDaniels because he has shown that he can run an offense to the skills of his players.  Also, he knows how to exploit the defenses weak spots.  The Pats have not had a great o-line but he keeps D's on their toes and also runs quick plays to help Brady stay clean and make the line look good.  These are things we desperately need and Chud just does not do it.

How much of that is on Belichick though? Pats coordinators don't do well outside of NE, so I'd be hesitant on him. I wouldn't hate it if he were hired, but there are other coaches higher on the list.

8 minutes ago, Darryl Lewis II said:

Well what about Doug Peterson he was Reid OC he took over in Philly and has Carson Wentz looking very good.

It's hard to tell how much of KC's offensive success is on Nagy and how much is on Reid. Ballard will have a better idea on it. 

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

How much of that is on Belichick though? Pats coordinators don't do well outside of NE, so I'd be hesitant on him. I wouldn't hate it if he were hired, but there are other coaches higher on the list.

I get BB is a great coach but that does not mean everything is done because of him.  If McDaniels, who has been coaching there since 2001, minus the Denver stint, can't pickup on successes then I am pretty sure Ballard would see this, as the entire NFL.  Being under the system for so long allows him, in my opinion, to have a pretty good understanding of the offense as I mentioned.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Go ahead and pile it on. I'm a big boy, I can take it.  If anyone thinks a coaching change will automatically make more talent on this team feel free.

I mean McVay seems to make talent reappear on the rams offense, but you'll probably say it was already there due to all the 1st round picks. which is true but he is maximizing there talent which I don't think is being done with the colts. Like not playing one of our young CBs because of special teams play.

3 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

I mean McVay seems to make talent reappear on the rams offense, but you'll probably say it was already there due to all the 1st round picks. which is true but he is maximizing there talent which I don't think is being done with the colts. Like not playing one of our young CBs because of special teams play.

I didn't have to say it was because of the #1 picks, you already did.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't have to say it was because of the #1 picks, you already did.

But McVay was still able to maximize the talent he had, unlike Jeff fisher and It's a possibility that Pagano is not maximizing the talent we have. who knows maybe the next coach will

18 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

But McVay was still able to maximize the talent he had, unlike Jeff fisher and It's a possibility that Pagano is not maximizing the talent we have. who knows maybe the next coach will

That talent we have?  We have zero depth and the talent we did have left over the last three years.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That talent we have?  We have zero depth and the talent we did have left over the last three years.

Crazy, you have to stop dealing in absolutes here. Have the Colts lacked in talent that past couple of years? Sure. But the team's issues do not solely rest at the feet of Ryan Grigson and the players he brought in. This team had Luck last year and a lot of the same issues with regards to coaching still remained ie. the bad timeouts, questionable playcalling and blowing leads. I'll admit, I was a proponent of keeping Pagano this season and having him work with Ballard but the issues that have plagued him since his tenure began have only gotten worse and worse each season, with this one being the peak. It's time for him to go.

45 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

id be in favor of mcdaniels as long as luck comes back.  if luck doesnt come back then im less interested

Why?  How does this make sense?  You get a young QB and provide him with a good quick producing offense, that is the best thing for confidence.  If for some reason we keep Brissett, he is familiar with the system...  

Please help me understand your comment....

On 10/31/2017 at 5:23 PM, Smoke317 said:

Are they though???  I believe Luck and his Colts are 2-0 against Rodgers & his Packers.  Which is weird because I think they are better coached & schemed but I don’t think their talent is far superior to ours. In fact, their OLine hasn’t been routinely categorized as one of the best. Their success comes because ARod is great at escaping and getting the ball out quickly. Also, he’s excellent pre snap.  I personally think we are on par with them talent wise, but I think they are coached and schemed better. 

There better schemed with better players

14 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

There better schemed with better players

I agree.  They have good schemes but they do have better players on D for sure.  There offensive line might not be among the top 5 or so but they are way better than ours.  We have a revolving door on our line with little talent trying to be a stop gap.  That hurts any QB back there.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Crazy, you have to stop dealing in absolutes here. Have the Colts lacked in talent that past couple of years? Sure. But the team's issues do not solely rest at the feet of Ryan Grigson and the players he brought in. This team had Luck last year and a lot of the same issues with regards to coaching still remained ie. the bad timeouts, questionable playcalling and blowing leads. I'll admit, I was a proponent of keeping Pagano this season and having him work with Ballard but the issues that have plagued him since his tenure began have only gotten worse and worse each season, with this one being the peak. It's time for him to go.

I have explained my thoughts and realize Pagano does have some negatives. IMO that comes for a coach who knows his days are numbered and mentally he is in panic mode. The problems are super magnified because of the losses. He is under a microscope with those who want him gone so anything that can be viewed as negative is beat into the ground. Those problem didn't arise when he had a roster he could work with. A coach who took a rag tag team from a 2-14 season to three 11-5 seasons just didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach. Has he made some mistakes? Yes, but that is inherent in all coaches but are overlooked as long as the team is winning.

He was dealt a losing hand when this season started.

18 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

100% convinced crazycolt1 is Pagano's father. It has been five years and the amount of excuses and caping is at an all-time high.

It's all good though, Black Monday will be a day to remember.

Actually, crazycolt isn't defending Pagano because he particularly likes him, he's defending him because he's a member of the Colts. Any member of the Colts staff or a player he will defend when someone talks bad about them. The only reason he's trashing Grigson now is because he got fired by Irsay, so now it's ok to talk bad about him. Once Pagano goes, and the new coach is hired (whether it be Toub or someone else), he'll start to open up on why Pagano is bad and start to come up with reasons why the new coach is good. He's only been defending Pagano because he's still on the team, once he's off the Colts, crazycolt's loyalty toward him will go away. The reasons he gives why Pagano are good are a temporary illusion until he gets fired, then he'll finally start saying what everyone is saying. He did it with Grigson, and he'll do it with Pagano at the end of the season.

He's loyal to the Colts, and the people on there as long as they are here. Once they leave, then he's allowed to tell the truth in his mind, just like a player about their team that's miserable (they can't tell the truth until they leave).

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

100% convinced crazycolt1 is Pagano's father. It has been five years and the amount of excuses and caping is at an all-time high.

It's all good though, Black Monday will be a day to remember.

I am 100% convinced you can't accept someone has a different opinion than you. And when they do all you can do is talk about them and then make fun of them. What does that say?

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Why?  How does this make sense?  You get a young QB and provide him with a good quick producing offense, that is the best thing for confidence.  If for some reason we keep Brissett, he is familiar with the system...  

Please help me understand your comment....

i know brissett came from NE but to me he doesn't seem like a great fit for that offense.  JB seems like a bret farve type to me, with more durability than luck

luck can play in any offense and we would all like for him to get the ball out and get hit much less.  

plus if we are really starting over without luck, id prefer an experienced head coach.  it is hard to say at this point if we would roll with brissett or draft somebody else though 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i know brissett came from NE but to me he doesn't seem like a great fit for that offense.  JB seems like a bret farve type to me, with more durability than luck

luck can play in any offense and we would all like for him to get the ball out and get hit much less.  

plus if we are really starting over without luck, id prefer an experienced head coach.  it is hard to say at this point if we would roll with brissett or draft somebody else though 

I agree with your point of Brissett, but I will say this is his ultimate downfall.  He wants to hold onto the ball in hopes something spectacular will happen.  Durability might not be there after a few more hits.

Say we do get a young rookie and Luck is gone.  McDaniels could still be a solid coach for him.  Great mentor that has youth and a great understanding of the league still.  Plus the OC and QB Coach would have  to be some solid minds because they are the ones really getting at the young guy.  You would want someone very trust worthy in both of these spots for development and great understanding.  I see McDaniels as someone that would be great for this reason personally.  

If Luck comes back and is 100% next year, then again to me McDaniels would be a perfect fit for him.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have explained my thoughts and realize Pagano does have some negatives. IMO that comes for a coach who knows his days are numbered and mentally he is in panic mode. The problems are super magnified because of the losses. He is under a microscope with those who want him gone so anything that can be viewed as negative is beat into the ground. Those problem didn't arise when he had a roster he could work with. A coach who took a rag tag team from a 2-14 season to three 11-5 seasons just didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach. Has he made some mistakes? Yes, but that is inherent in all coaches but are overlooked as long as the team is winning.

He was dealt a losing hand when this season started.

To the bolded: That is false. The team has started slow in games and to start the season in general every year under Pagano's tenure with this year included. But it's not because the team all of a sudden doesn't have talent. They have just gotten progressively worse. And the real issue now is that Pagano's mistakes are having more of a direct impact on losses since the margin for error has thinned with Luck being out.

1 hour ago, Restored said:

To the bolded: That is false. The team has started slow in games and to start the season in general every year under Pagano's tenure with this year included. But it's not because the team all of a sudden doesn't have talent. They have just gotten progressively worse. And the real issue now is that Pagano's mistakes are having more of a direct impact on losses since the margin for error has thinned with Luck being out.

A lot of the slow start was because of mistakes by Luck early in games. Turnovers also contributed.