Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What The Colts Should Do If Pm For What Ever Reason Is Not A Colt Next Year

ruf

to start with I really want PM back with the colts next year but if that is not the case here is what they should do.

I think they should of course draft Luck and go into total rebuild by not resigning reggie w --gonzo-saturday-gary b-melvin b-jacob t

they should get a new deal with matis--anderson--a johnson--garcon

here is the hard part: trade D Freeney and D Clark for what ever they can get DF don't fit the 3/4 D and DC is getting older and i think they can draft the TE from Stanford to go with Luck

now i don't want any of this to happen but if no PM i think this would be the wise thing to do

thoughts ???

trading Freeney + Clark would result in almost an $11million dead cap hit next season...combine that with the $10.4 million dead cap hit if we dont pay Peyton's option and we already have over $20million tied up in cap space for players not even on the team...then if we cut Brackett and Bullitt, you can add another $5-$7million in dead cap space... so we would have nearly 1/4 of our total salary cap taken up by players who arent even on our team...it just wont work.

We should extend Freeney's deal and try to restructure Clark's... I would be ok with cutting Brackett if need be, because he would be 100% off the books after next season if we did.

Personally, i dont think we will be a 3-4 team next season anyhow...i think we will be a base 4-3 team that might mix in some occasional 3-4 looks from time to time.

Pagano will utilize our talent on D in the best way possible, and that includes Freeney, in my opinion

The thing about Freeney, in my humble opinion, is he isn't so much of a DE as he is a PR (Pass Rusher). He is almost nonexistent against the run, and does nothing to set the edge. He runs himself right out of plays because he wants to get sacks. He might never stand up in our new scheme, unless he shows some ability to cover the flat and play the run better. His value is really only on 3rd and long. His 20 million contract is too much for that, so I would totally support a trade, unless there's some weird cap business that forces us to eat his cap number even after trading him.

to start with I really want PM back with the colts next year but if that is not the case here is what they should do.

I think they should of course draft Luck and go into total rebuild by not resigning reggie w --gonzo-saturday-gary b-melvin b-jacob t

here is the hard part: trade D Freeney and D Clark for what ever they can get DF don't fit the 3/4 D and DC is getting older and i think they can draft the TE from Stanford to go with Luck

now i don't want any of this to happen but if no PM i think this would be the wise thing to do

thoughts ???

They should use the #1 pick on Luck, and continue to rebuild, by:

1) trading away or releasing unproductive and expensive older players,

2) signing young FAs that fill positions of need

3) drafting wisely for young players that fill positions of need

The thing about Freeney, in my humble opinion, is he isn't so much of a DE as he is a PR (Pass Rusher). He is almost nonexistent against the run, and does nothing to set the edge. He runs himself right out of plays because he wants to get sacks. He might never stand up in our new scheme, unless he shows some ability to cover the flat and play the run better. His value is really only on 3rd and long. His 20 million contract is too much for that, so I would totally support a trade, unless there's some weird cap business that forces us to eat his cap number even after trading him.

d. freeney is a pass rusher no argument there, but nonexistent against the run? i wouldn't say that, how many time have you seen freeney hussle to get back into the play and make a huge tackle after the RB blew up our little LBs? too many to count.

I agree... but that is "easier said than done"...

it actually is easy to do it too, just ask the patriots. some way some how they always seem to draft the best players. its crazy, maybe we need new scouts lol

The Pats have drafted "horribly" of late... they hit on a couple TE's and all is well in NE?

That team has as many holes as INDY.... They just had a "healthy" QB. Take him away and...... ?????

Isn't that the goal EVERY year for EVERY team?

d. freeney is a pass rusher no argument there, but nonexistent against the run? i wouldn't say that, how many time have you seen freeney hussle to get back into the play and make a huge tackle after the RB blew up our little LBs? too many to count.

It's a double edged sword, if he doesn't go all out for the QB he doesn't get the sacks we all love, but by doing so gives up outside contain and allows the RB to get by him in draw plays and screens. Granted he does do his best to get back into the play after he's been beaten. But here lies the problem, do you only go after the QB or do you slack up a bit and keep your outside contain. With the D we've played he's expected to go after the QB and they hope the LBs and DBs have the speed to get there and make the stop.

It's a double edged sword, if he doesn't go all out for the QB he doesn't get the sacks we all love, but by doing so gives up outside contain and allows the RB to get by him in draw plays and screens. Granted he does do his best to get back into the play after he's been beaten. But here lies the problem, do you only go after the QB or do you slack up a bit and keep your outside contain. With the D we've played he's expected to go after the QB and they hope the LBs and DBs have the speed to get there and make the stop.

once again i agree, with everything you said. however i am just not okay saying he is nonexistent in the run, i have seen him save way to many plays just from his hustle alone. that is all i way trying to say

thoughts ???

I think it's a good plan.

Would try to keep Tamme if he is not too expensive though. Really like the idea of Fleener, he was after all Lucks go to guy at Stanford, and would give Luck a familiar face to work with. He could give the team a Gronk/Graham type impact.