Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Save Peyton

DILLIGAFER

because we would have TWO first round picks and TWO second round picks next year, most likely, if we trade the pick THIS year...with all of those picks NEXT year, it would be pretty easy to trade up to get Barkley.

Unless of course the other teams picking at the top of the draft decide they want him and draft him.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet we never hear PM say "Indy owes it to me to keep me in Indy!" Why do so many fans feel like saying we owe it to Manning is a legitimate case to make? We don't owe him anything, that's why we pay him money... He goes out and wins games for us and what do we give him in return? We make him the highest paid player in the NFL. If organizations signed players and kept them around out of pure respect it would be a much less competitive league.

You would be correct if Peyton Manning took a standard contract for his level of play, but he didn't. He takes less money than he could actually get. He could have gotten over $20 million dollars a year last year in his contract, but he thought that helping the team was better than taking more money. He wanted to keep around guys like Joseph Addai and other free agents who make the team better. He also has restructured his contracts several times over the years to help out the colts salary cap situations.

Yes, the colts do actually owe him.

You would be correct if Peyton Manning took a standard contract for his level of play, but he didn't. He takes less money than he could actually get. He could have gotten over $20 million dollars a year last year in his contract, but he thought that helping the team was better than taking more money. He wanted to keep around guys like Joseph Addai and other free agents who make the team better. He also has restructured his contracts several times over the years to help out the colts salary cap situations.

Ummm, that's actually about exactly what he did get. I'm not saying he couldn't have gotten more, but lets not pretend like Peyton pulled a Robin Hood act here. He still is the highest paid player in the league (tied with Brady)

because we would have TWO first round picks and TWO second round picks next year, most likely, if we trade the pick THIS year...with all of those picks NEXT year, it would be pretty easy to trade up to get Barkley.

True but that's a big risk, the other team may not be willing to trade because they need a QB. We could build a strong team by doing this but I'd hate to be like the Bears of 2006, heck they just now got a good QB. I'd rather get that QB of the future first.

Ummm, that's actually about exactly what he did get. I'm not saying he couldn't have gotten more, but lets not pretend like Peyton pulled a Robin Hood act here. He still is the highest paid player in the league (tied with Brady)

I'm trying to say this in a nice way, but do I need to do division for you? Use a calculator if you have too.

$90 million dollars / 5 years = $18 million dollars per year!

True but that's a big risk, the other team may not be willing to trade because they need a QB. We could build a strong team by doing this but I'd hate to be like the Bears of 2006, heck they just now got a good QB. I'd rather get that QB of the future first.

I don't think it is necessary to trade up to get a very good quarterback. There's not really a point to trade up to draft Matt Barkley if we can just wait till guys like Tyler Wilson are available in 2013, or maybe Tyler Bray the year after that in 2014 if he stays till his senior year. There are still quality guys out their.

I don't get what you're saying to refute my point. What does Peyton Manning restructuring his contract have anything to do with my opinion of not agreeing when people say "we owe it to Peyton to keep him for what he's done for Indy!" Yes, Peyton helps us out in the cap sometimes... I've literally said nothing against that because it has absolutely zero to do with what I said. Even if that had anything to do with what I said then let me argue that because you clearly like to argue for the sake of arguing. What does Peyton restructuring his contract have anything to do with a feeling of obligation to pay him? You're saying that because Peyton is a good teammate and restructures his contract we should feel emotionally obligated to pay him? Because that's all that is: emotion. If we were financially obligated to pay him it wouldn't be an option to pay him 28mil on March 8th. Like I said before. If we made financial decisions based on emotions this would be a much less competitive league...

I don't get what you're saying to refute my point. What does Peyton Manning restructuring his contract have anything to do with my opinion of not agreeing when people say "we owe it to Peyton to keep him for what he's done for Indy!" Yes, Peyton helps us out in the cap sometimes... I've literally said nothing against that because it has absolutely zero to do with what I said. Even if that had anything to do with what I said then let me argue that because you clearly like to argue for the sake of arguing. What does Peyton restructuring his contract have anything to do with a feeling of obligation to pay him? You're saying that because Peyton is a good teammate and restructures his contract we should feel emotionally obligated to pay him? Because that's all that is: emotion. If we were financially obligated to pay him it wouldn't be an option to pay him 28mil on March 8th. Like I said before. If we made financial decisions based on emotions this would be a much less competitive league...

Why should Manning have helped the colts if they shouldn't help him?

I disagree.. He got paid 26 million last year for not playing at all. And if he gets his 28 million roster bonus, that will make 54 million, no plays, and no guarantees that he ever will. Just hope. Even if he's released, he is owed nothing more IMO. He's been compensated for his play, and even for not playing... handsomely.

I disagree.. He got paid 26 million last year for not playing at all. And if he gets his 28 million roster bonus, that will make 54 million, no plays, and no guarantees that he ever will. Just hope. Even if he's released, he is owed nothing more IMO. He's been compensated for his play, and even for not playing... handsomely.

If you're going to think about it like that, then your getting a great deal on the last few years of his contract. That's why he gets paid in a contract. The only reason he gets $28 million dollar roster bonuses is because it helps the colts against the cap. He could have made the deal where he got $18 million dollars flat every year for 5 years, but that wouldn't be very helpful to the colts cap space.

It's really annoying when people say things like this... they see a big number, and then act like he is getting overpaid... Just think about it like he gets paid the same amount every year if he finishes his contract, because in actuality, he is getting paid the same amount every year.

If you're going to think about it like that, then your getting a great deal on the last few years of his contract. That's why he gets paid in a contract. The only reason he gets $28 million dollar roster bonuses is because it helps the colts against the cap. He could have made the deal where he got $18 million dollars flat every year for 5 years, but that wouldn't be very helpful to the colts cap space.

It's really annoying when people say things like this... they see a big number, and then act like he is getting overpaid... Just think about it like he gets paid the same amount every year if he finishes his contract, because in actuality, he is getting paid the same amount every year.

I just don't have confidence he will play well enough, or often enough to be worth the rest of this contract. I do believe that there are a couple of teams that may feel it is worth a flyer to pick him up on a heavily incentive laden contract. No team will pay him Huge signing/roster bonus money and/or large salary. We'll see soon enough.

This isn't really a reasonable arguement considering no one has made a stance on if we're talking about if he's going to be healthy or not. Assuming you're talking about saying we owe it to him to take a risk on his injurey come Marth 8th (because if you're not talking about that then you're literally arguing with no one), then you're saying let's risk 44mil of dead cap (whether we cut him or trade him) over the next 4 years on a player who may not even play 1 year let alone 4. We should never put ourselves in a situation where we owe someone who is not playing. If the Colts want to keep Manning he needs to either be 100%, or a serious contract reduction needs to commence. Ideally both...

So? I think your beyond disrespectful to Peyton. Thats like the pot calling the kettle black. I dont need to stirr thing up by starting a blog and ranting about other posters as being disrespectful to a college qb that isnt even a colt. You need to take a ride in the 'no spin zone', cause you just spun the crap out of what i posted. Period.

So? I think your beyond disrespectful to Peyton. Thats like the pot calling the kettle black. I dont need to stirr thing up by starting a blog and ranting about other posters as being disrespectful to a college qb that isnt even a colt. You need to take a ride in the 'no spin zone', cause you just spun the crap out of what i posted. Period.

I guess you entirely missed the point of my blog. :sigh:

I guess you entirely missed the point of my blog. :sigh:

Na, i got it just fine and see how you took my picture and point of view from this thread and twisted it to seem disprespectful to Luck who isnt even a colt yet. My position is i dont find it disrespectful to want Manning instead of luck, yet some members have already decided the fait of this franchise and its qb position.

If you have beef with the shirts or website, why dont you take it up with the founder instead of those who have the attire. :dunno:

Na, i got it just fine and see how you took my picture and point of view from this thread and twisted it to seem disprespectful to Luck who isnt even a colt yet. My position is i dont find it disrespectful to want Manning instead of luck, yet some members have already decided the fait of this franchise and its qb position.

If you have beef with the shirts or website, why dont you take it up with the founder instead of those who have the attire. :dunno:

I think we need to agree on a couple of facts:

1) Irsay has said that he will be using the #1 overall pick on a QB, either Luck or RG3.

2) Whether the Colts draft Luck or not, it will have no effect on how fast PM recovers his arm strength.

If you see the above 2 things as fact, you might want to explain to me how supporting the sentiment "Who needs Luck when we have Manning" helps the Colts?

a) does it help the Colts by disrespecting a highly-rated draft prospect that the Colts are considering using their #1 pick to draft?

b) does it help the Colts by welcoming Luck this way, if the Colts pick him as their QB of the future?

c) does it help the Colts by attempting to get Luck to do an Eli-Manning on the Colts?

Can you find another way to show support for your preferred QB, without disrespecting someone who has done nothing to you or the team?

I have a beef with anyone who buys these shirts to support such a sentiment. Before this came out, I had thought that the Colts fans were above this sort of nonsense.

I think we need to agree on a couple of facts:

1) Irsay has said that he will be using the #1 overall pick on a QB, either Luck or RG3.

2) Whether the Colts draft Luck or not, it will have no effect on how fast PM recovers his arm strength.

If you see the above 2 things as fact, you might want to explain to me how supporting the sentiment "Who needs Luck when we have Manning" helps the Colts?

a) does it help the Colts by disrespecting a highly-rated draft prospect that the Colts are considering using their #1 pick to draft?

b) does it help the Colts by welcoming Luck this way, if the Colts pick him as their QB of the future?

c) does it help the Colts by attempting to get Luck to do an Eli-Manning on the Colts?

Can you find another way to show support for your preferred QB, without disrespecting someone who has done nothing to you or the team?

I have a beef with anyone who buys these shirts to support such a sentiment. Before this came out, I had thought that the Colts fans were above this sort of nonsense.

Sorry, but #1 is not a fact as you seem to think.

And this is a weird post. You have beef with someone wanting Peyton Manning over Andrew Luck?????????????????????? Give me a break...

...Did you not read the #1?

Mr. Irsay said “With Griffin and Luck and the way it’s shaping up at the top of the draft — could very likely go one and two like with Peyton and Ryan Leaf,” Irsay said. “It’s most likely one of those quarterbacks that you really feel is the best player in the draft, and where we’re at moving forward you can’t pass that up. I don’t think anyone would expect that.”

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/irsay-plans-to-draft-luck-or-griffin-even-if-peyton-is-healthy/

...Did you not read the #1?

I did. did you not read this-

--Colts owner Jim Irsay said the Colts will use the first pick to draft a quarterback no matter the state of Peyton Manning's health.

"With (Robert) Griffin and (Andrew) Luck and the way it's shaping up at the top of the draft, (it) could very likely go one and two like with Peyton and Ryan Leaf (1998)," Irsay said.

--Owner Jim Irsay on decision between QBs Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III for No. 1 pick: "It's most likely one of those quarterbacks that you really feel is the best player in the draft. And where we're at moving forward you can't pass that up. I don't think anyone would expect that."

Came right from here-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17003251/irsay-well-pick-qb-no-1

Mr. Irsay said “With Griffin and Luck and the way it’s shaping up at the top of the draft — could very likely go one and two like with Peyton and Ryan Leaf,” Irsay said. “It’s most likely one of those quarterbacks that you really feel is the best player in the draft, and where we’re at moving forward you can’t pass that up. I don’t think anyone would expect that.”

Source: http://profootballta...ton-is-healthy/

Yeah, but that doesn't really prove anything.

I already have seen that before, but it still doesn't mean anything. Your telling me that people don't lie or change their minds?

How is the potential that Mr. Irsay may be lying change the fact that :

1) Irsay has said that he will be using the #1 overall pick on a QB, either Luck or RG3

He either said it or he didn't. What do you think he said? Don't try to twist the facts. The fact is that Mr. Irsay did indeed say exactly what I stated he said above.

How is the potential that Mr. Irsay may be lying change the fact that :

1) Irsay has said that he will be using the #1 overall pick on a QB, either Luck or RG3

He either said it or he didn't. What do you think he said? Don't try to twist the facts. The fact is that Mr. Irsay did indeed say exactly what I stated he said above.

Know, he didn't say that, your the one twisting his words.

Know, he didn't say that, your the one twisting his words.

See the red, and please provide your interpretation of what Mr. Irsay said, if you don't believe that he is saying he will use the #1 overall pick on either of these 2 QB prospects.

Im calling ^cowpatties^ unless you can post a link where Luck said he would relish NOT playing lol.

Took a while but....... "One, Peyton is the best, arguably the best. As a kid growing up, he was my football hero. If the opportunity was such that I had a chance to play with him and learn with Peyton, I totally embrace that."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120203/SPORTS03/202030360/Andrew-Luck-would-embrace-opportunity-play-Peyton-Manning