Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabrill Peppers Scouting Report - the one true 5 down player

30 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Peppers can play corner and play man press corner to boot! If Jackson was a true beast he would be a first round pick! Look this started with Clayton is a proven  starter I have given my option of that! Peppers if draft after watching the film I would be ok with! He is NOT my PREFERED PICK I want to draft Reddick personally. Lots of holes on this defense really Imo NO ONES JOB IS SAFE! A stud in any position on defense would be a welcome sight because there aren't any IMO!

Jackson broke his leg this season that's why he is a ok atee pick but has better in coverage then peppers you are buying into the peppers hype way too much and that's your choice 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Jackson broke his leg this season that's why he is a ok atee pick but has better in coverage then peppers you are buying into the peppers hype way too much and that's your choice 

Maybe your undervaluing him thats your choice. Lots of guys with injuries still considered 1st round picks still. Also Peppers I would put behind both Adams and Hooker. I have Peppers right where he should be. 

Simply a bad pick in the first round with all of the other needs on D and the talent that will be there at #15. No to Peppers. He could be a really fun player to have in the future for a team with a solid D in place, but not for a team like the Colts that desperately needs impact players in the Defense at CB, LB, and NT. 

4 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

He could play IMO slot CB, FS, SS, Could come up and play Inside LB on passing downs. He is fast, physical, and can play press coverage and has recover speed.

Then what project is T.J. Green?   ;-)

4 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Other than all that stuff hes not very good. LOL

:spit:  lmao

6 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Comments this dumb don't even deserve a reasonable response 

Please be careful how you word your statements.  When a reply begins to get 'personal' toward another member, mods ears perk up and put one on radar.  Peoples opinions are extensions of the person themselves, not just characters on a screen. Your free to disagree, but keep the subject matter the content of the post, not the person who wrote it.

Unless you like posts that disappear and receiving warning PM's, I'd refrain form anything close to personal shots in the future, no matter how innocent it was intended.

Thx.

Actually. I have thought about this. If we did draft Peppers with the 15th pick, he would give our defense a lot of flexibility. If Green turns out to be a good player at the FS position, then that leaves Geathers and Peppers both fighting for one spot.

But I really like the idea of them playing two positions. Their bodies couldn't take the pounding of playing as a full-time linebacker  without bulking and loosing speed to cover as a safety. But they could both switch off and on, always share the field at the same time. When one plays SS, the other plays ILB.

I'm not sure if he would be BPA, but I do believe once he finds his true position in the NFL, he will be a star. I just don't know if we have time to wait. 

11 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

That is true, and he is a bright spot, I didn't say replace him, but IMO he needs to play more to be proven as a reliable solid starter in the NFL. If he  could stay healthy, Green improves, and say you draft a guy like Peppers, wow that could be fun to watch.

I agree, and after watching that breakdown I can't say I'd be upset with them picking Peppers. Geathers, Green, & Peppers... that would be A LOT of speed in the secondary.

My issue with Peppers is that while he can do so many things, he's not GREAT at anything. He has versatility, but when you have so many blatant holes that need actual depth/talent and have a player already established in your system that already does what Peppers would do in our base D, it's just a bit redundant. I couldn't see using our 15th pick on a guy whose biggest contributions would be positional versatility and ST play.

I don't see him being able to make enough of an impact in our defense with the players we already have to pick him so high. I'd MUCH rather take a true FS like Marcus Williams, John Johnson, or Eddie Jackson.

Peppers versatility makes him a good option for us in the 1st round. Peppers can play slot, safety, and LB in sub packages. Great against the run and a good blitzer. Geathers has been good, but he's had some serious injuries and Butler is only on a one year deal. I think Peppers and Geathers would make a great safety duo. 

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Peppers versatility makes him a good option for us in the 1st round. Peppers can play slot, safety, and LB in sub packages. Great against the run and a good blitzer. Geathers has been good, but he's had some serious injuries and Butler is only on a one year deal. I think Peppers and Geathers would make a great safety duo. 

Two box safeties, yeah great duo. 

4 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

CAN play. He's not spectacular at any one thing though, which really lowers his value to me. And Peppers is NO FS, so him and Geathers is just redundant.

Box safeties are a dime a dozen. There's good box safeties late in the draft that can blitz and play the run well. The hard to find guys are the FS that can also play the run if needed.

IMO, Peppers provides very little value to our team based on how he could contribute. 

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

CAN play. He's not spectacular at any one thing though, which really lowers his value to me. And Peppers is NO FS, so him and Geathers is just redundant.

Box safeties are a dime a dozen. There's good box safeties late in the draft that can blitz and play the run well. The hard to find guys are the FS that can also play the run if needed.

IMO, Peppers provides very little value to our team based on how he could contribute. 

Peppers is a talented player regardless of what position he plays on defense. He's not my 1st option, but he's in my top 5 because of his versatility. 

13 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think having two players like Peppers and Geathers that can stop run would make the team better defensively. Peppers has the speed and athleticism to cover TE's. He reminds me of Polamalu. I think he can improve his coverage ability as well. 

33 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Peppers can play corner I think thats where he ends up. Physical corner who can play man and is fast like Seattle tries to do. That would be good. Honestly I don't think you can pigeon hole Peppers into just a box safety role. WAY TO ATHLETIC!! Geathers on the other hand is just a box safety!

2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Peppers can play corner I think thats where he ends up. Physical corner who can play man and is fast like Seattle tries to do. That would be good.

WHAT!? He can play in the slot, but I don't see him as a starting outside CB.

5 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Ed Reed, Polumulo., both physical and ball hawks!! I am greedy I want both!!

Peppers isn't a ball hawk by ANY measure. He's had 1 INT his entire college career and only 10 PD. His biggest knock is that he can be slow to read plays and react, especially when playing the deep safety. That's the one thing he doesn't do well at all.

Just now, Shive said:

WHAT!? He can play in the slot, but I don't see him as a starting outside CB.

A lot of people said that about Seattle CB's to all the way to the super bowl. With his size and atheltic ability and speed I believe he can, and he has done it in college. Butler and Robinson struggle when they were outside because the have no size Peppers does. I believe he would be a very effective press corner. Just the way the Colts want to play but can't because of the lack of pass rush and size at corner.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Peppers isn't a ball hawk by ANY measure. He's had 1 INT his entire college career and only 10 PD. His biggest knock is that he can be slow to read plays and react, especially when playing the deep safety. That's the one thing he doesn't do well at all.

Because they moved him around he played a lot of zone hes much better playing man!

29 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Ed Reed, Polumulo., both physical and ball hawks!! I am greedy I want both!!

Then you want this guy, i have Landry ranking him just above Peppers (though he can't cover TE's, but that is where TJ Greens development comes into play) -

14. FS–BUDDA BAKER (JR)–WASHINGTON
He looks and plays a lot like Tyrann Mathieu, doing his best work as a block-beating slot corner who dabbles at safety in base personnel. Baker can fill a similar role in the NFL.
Some parts of his game compare to Earl Thomas. 5-foot-10, 195 pounds, Baker is a dynamic athlete with great football character – he loves mixing it up vs the run while playing effectively in the centerfield role. I see him as someone that you could roll down over the slot.
He’s too small to cover tight ends, but he’s got great instincts in coverage which is why he should shine as a single-high. Just a great playmaking safety in the mold of Mathieu, Thomas or even back to Bob Sanders coming out of Iowa. An ideal slot corner who’s capable of shadowing receivers, thumping running backs and blitzing off the edge. Although he still needs to refine his footwork and transitions, he is such an explosive athlete that he is able to shadow slot receivers all over the field. Baker is coming off his best statistical season to date, one which included 70 tackles (9.5 for loss), two interceptions and five passes defended in 14 games. Even though Baker is not very big there’s no doubting his tackling ability and physicality. He will come into the play hard and wrap up whenever possible. He’s very athletic, instinctive and physical, which are the three biggest things that make a DB great. He’s relentless running to the ball. He tries to get every ball every play, and he has a feel for where the ball is going.
A stud recruit, Baker was immediately inserted into the starting lineup as a true freshman. He didn’t disappoint, earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors while rolling up 80 tackles, six pass breakups, two forced fumbles and one interception.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Then you want this guy, i have Landry ranking him just above Peppers (though he can't cover TE's, but that is where TJ Greens development comes into play) -

14. FS–BUDDA BAKER (JR)–WASHINGTON
He looks and plays a lot like Tyrann Mathieu, doing his best work as a block-beating slot corner who dabbles at safety in base personnel. Baker can fill a similar role in the NFL.
Some parts of his game compare to Earl Thomas. 5-foot-10, 195 pounds, Baker is a dynamic athlete with great football character – he loves mixing it up vs the run while playing effectively in the centerfield role. I see him as someone that you could roll down over the slot.
He’s too small to cover tight ends, but he’s got great instincts in coverage which is why he should shine as a single-high. Just a great playmaking safety in the mold of Mathieu, Thomas or even back to Bob Sanders coming out of Iowa. An ideal slot corner who’s capable of shadowing receivers, thumping running backs and blitzing off the edge. Although he still needs to refine his footwork and transitions, he is such an explosive athlete that he is able to shadow slot receivers all over the field. Baker is coming off his best statistical season to date, one which included 70 tackles (9.5 for loss), two interceptions and five passes defended in 14 games. Even though Baker is not very big there’s no doubting his tackling ability and physicality. He will come into the play hard and wrap up whenever possible. He’s very athletic, instinctive and physical, which are the three biggest things that make a DB great. He’s relentless running to the ball. He tries to get every ball every play, and he has a feel for where the ball is going.
A stud recruit, Baker was immediately inserted into the starting lineup as a true freshman. He didn’t disappoint, earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors while rolling up 80 tackles, six pass breakups, two forced fumbles and one interception.

I have heard good things about Bubba, I will have to watch some film of him!! Thanks

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I think having two players like Peppers and Geathers that can stop run would make the team better defensively. Peppers has the speed and athleticism to cover TE's. He reminds me of Polamalu. I think he can improve his coverage ability as well. 

He's 5'11 he's not guarding TEs. 

49 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Peppers can play corner I think thats where he ends up. Physical corner who can play man and is fast like Seattle tries to do. That would be good. Honestly I don't think you can pigeon hole Peppers into just a box safety role. WAY TO ATHLETIC!! Geathers on the other hand is just a box safety!

So a nickel corner in the first round? No thanks. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Press corner in base! Hes not my first or second or even 3rd pick if he was drafted I would be Ok with it. I personal want to draft Reddick or Foster

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:
4 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Neither are many small/fast playmaker free safeties. Budda Baker. Malik Hooker is fav, but is not falling to us. (Plus I need to look at his medicals more thoroughly)  Baker is true first round FS talent and could easlily land in Ballards lap (notably if QB's get moved up) .  My question is, how does Ballard / Pagano feel about the TJ green experiment?  I feel they are grooming TJ to cover TE / slot as well.  So guys like Baker won't have to cover the Gronk's of the NFL world.  Green will eventually get that role, in whatever place the D coordinator puts him.