Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Results From Tonights LIVE DraftWired Mock - 03/28/2017

So I had an opportunity tonight to play the Colts GM in a LIVE mock at draftwired.com, and it was fun. We had 13 team GM's, and the other teams were system generated picks. In my mind, the draft went too fast, but I was able to keep my thoughts in order and produce a solid mock. Had we had all the GM spots full then it would have slowed the process down, and given us more time to make trades.

I was trying to trade back in the first round, but I only had 2 minutes to find a trade partner. If the first round were extended to 5 minutes max (per pick) then I think this would have been better. We had 30 seconds for each pick from the second round, and on. 

Here is how our Colts came out:

Rd Pk Player Ps
Reddick, Haason
ILB
Conley, Gareon
CB
Williams, Tim
OLB 3/4
Perine, Samaje
RB
Siragusa, Nico
G
Vanderdoes, Eddie
DE 3/4
Roberts, Michael
TE

I think I could have traded back and still got Reddick. Just not enough time to find a trade partner. 

Conley landed right in my lap at #46, and the way the board was moving, I could see it coming. I doubt that happens in the real draft, but you never know. 

Tim Williams might have some issues, but we would be crazy not to to take him at #80, especially if we haven't drafted any other OLB's. And all of my sleeper OLB picks were gone by 80. Heck, most of the Edge Rushers were gone in the second round.

I love Samaje, and I hope we see him in the Blue and White. I think we have a chance to get him at #122. He reminds me of a "bigger" yet younger Frank Gore. I love watching defenders just bounce off of him. 

Nico would be a great fit for our OL and bring in fresh competition at RG. 

I am not sure we need another DE, but Vanderdoes was too good of a pick to leave on the board at #144.

All Michael Roberts does is catch touchdowns. 

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You didn't get a safety though. Unless you like Green as a starter.

I am a fan of T.J Green. 

And I actually would not be surprised if we moved him to corner or put him in the slot. O.o

I am not overly concerned about our safeties right now. 

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Green will be more of a situational guy who'll come on in sub packages. As it stands we have Butler at Free and Geathers at Strong.

I'd like to maybe grab someone if we can, but as a need it's behind CB, ILB, CB again and then probably Safety, Dline and OLB all about level.

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Butler FS, Geathers SS. Green as the main backup. We will/should use Butler to cover slot receivers on 3 receiver sets, but he'll be our starting FS all year IMO.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Am I taking crazy pills or did I see Tim Williams in the 3rd?

The kid's a superstar, but pair his off the field issues with a not so impressive combine and he'll be a 2nd rounder. Don't see him making it past the 2nd though as he has the potential and the tools to become a top 5-6 EDGE rusher in the entire NFL. I just made a mock with us taking him in RD2. There's a lot to take advantage of in this class. Jourdan Lewis, Tim Williams, Joe Mixon, Sidney Jones. We could get 3 1st round prospects, maybe 4 if Lewis or Mixon falls to the 4th. Gotta take advantage of the situation though. This is like a gold mine for us.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

The kid's a superstar, but pair his off the field issues with a not so impressive combine and he'll be a 2nd rounder. Don't see him making it past the 2nd though as he has the potential and the tools to become a top 5-6 EDGE rusher in the entire NFL. I just made a mock with us taking him in RD2. There's a lot to take advantage of in this class. Jourdan Lewis, Tim Williams, Joe Mixon, Sidney Jones. We could get 3 1st round prospects, maybe 4 if Lewis or Mixon falls to the 4th. Gotta take advantage of the situation though. This is like a gold mine for us.

Lewis better hope his situation comes to a conclusion and quickly. When there is an incident with established facts, it's easy for teams to make a decision on him. If it's still in the "he said, she said" phase, the uncertainty could cause him to completely free fall. If his case ends up being true, I'd pass. I can get on board with Mixon, 3 years ago and a 1 time heated incident, but domestic violence is a rocky road, especially with it having JUST occurred.

On topic:

I love it! Those top 3 are a dream scenario, but it can't hurt to dream. I'm not a big fan of Perine, but I could deal with it.. I've been wanting to do a group mock on there for a while. Maybe I'll try to knock one out at work today if they have any slots open.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Lewis better hope his situation comes to a conclusion and quickly. When there is an incident with established facts, it's easy for teams to make a decision on him. If it's still in the "he said, she said" phase, the uncertainty could cause him to completely free fall. If his case ends up being true, I'd pass. I can get on board with Mixon, 3 years ago and a 1 time heated incident, but domestic violence is a rocky road, especially with it having JUST occurred.

On topic:

I love it! Those top 3 are a dream scenario, but it can't hurt to dream. I'm not a big fan of Perine, but I could deal with it.. I've been wanting to do a group mock on there for a while. Maybe I'll try to knock one out at work today if they have any slots open.

I like Perine, but I think he needs a guy in front of him. I don't see him as a feature back.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I like Perine, but I think he needs a guy in front of him. I don't see him as a feature back.

I could get on board with him as a situational guy, but I feel he'd be a bit redundant with Turbin on the roster.

25 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I honestly don't know if Tim will make it to us in the 2nd.  If he does then yes please grab him.  Mixon is not going past the 2nd round so the steal in the 4th is not happening.  Plus having Conley in the 2nd is not happening.  He is gone in the 1st with two guys falling due to injury.

31 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah, im not saying i dont like the draft. I do. I just havent ever seen a mock with him in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I honestly don't know if Tim will make it to us in the 2nd.  If he does then yes please grab him.  Mixon is not going past the 2nd round so the steal in the 4th is not happening.  Plus having Conley in the 2nd is not happening.  He is gone in the 1st with two guys falling due to injury.

Yeah. Conley is WAY better than some think. 1st rounder. But this class is so deep at CB I mean. Wow. We can get a 1st round talent in the 2nd. A 2nd round talent in the 3-4 range. I LOVE Weatherspoon from Colorado. I don't really like King, but Weatherspoon can literally be a all pro corner IMO. Him in RD2 or 3 would be sweeeeet!!!!

26 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I LOVE Weatherspoon from Colorado. I don't really like King, but Weatherspoon can literally be a all pro corner IMO. Him in RD2 or 3 would be sweeeeet!!!!

If he can learn to tackle and actually try to tackle, then yes. Dude can cover, but what good are you to me if a RB gets to the 2nd level and the only guy that stands between him and the end zone is a guy that might try to tackle him, but even then, with poor form?

22 hours ago, Shive said:

If he can learn to tackle and actually try to tackle, then yes. Dude can cover, but what good are you to me if a RB gets to the 2nd level and the only guy that stands between him and the end zone is a guy that might try to tackle him, but even then, with poor form?

I feel ya bro. Yeah. That's my issue with him too, but I feel that can easily be corrected. Even by his rookie year. I love his ball skills though. He had like 20 something PD's this past year. But he has all the skills. All he lacks is a little better technique and better tackling. Both issues are pretty easily correctable IMO. He has all the things that cant be taught, he just needs to refine a few coachable things I mentioned above, and I think he can be a stud.

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I feel ya bro. Yeah. That's my issue with him too, but I feel that can easily be corrected. Even by his rookie year. I love his ball skills though. He had like 20 something PD's this past year. But he has all the skills. All he lacks is a little better technique and better tackling. Both issues are pretty easily correctable IMO. He has all the things that cant be taught, he just needs to refine a few coachable things I mentioned above, and I think he can be a stud.

You can teach technique. You can't teach aggression or physicality. Although better technique can help with confidence and make someone more willing to attempt a tackle. We'll see how he develops, because he is definitely special when it comes to coverage & ball skills.

47 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

This draft is so wrong it's almost hilarious. Those first 3 picks are all 1st rounders.

I doubt it. It's hard to see Conley in the first -- and I like him, but he's probably the fifth best corner in the draft, even with Moreau and Jones out of the picture -- and if a couple QBs and RBs go (maybe a couple TEs?), he could easily fall to the 2nd. It's wishful thinking that he'd last til #46, but before the Combine I mocked him to us at that spot. 

I don't think Tim Williams goes in the first, either. I'd bet money on that (not really, but I feel strongly about it).

23 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Well done BlueShoes!  Nice draft!  Any possible complaints would just be a matter of personal preferences.

Do you have a link to the full draft results, so we can see who went before Reddick?

Thank you!

https://www.draftwired.com/

It is a paid website, but there is a free trial. Once you sign in then you can navigate to the past drafts.

This is the first time I have left a link for this site, and I will explain why I have been hesitant to do so. 

I need to make a full disclaimer because I do not want to mislead anyone.

Last night I started discussions with the people who run the site, about joining the staff. However, up until about three days ago, I had never even visited DW. This is certainly not the first time I have been approached to join a Website, and I have written for and owned my own sites in the past. I believe DW a has a lot of potential, and I do not say that lightly.

Just needed to say that. I am not a marketing guy, and I am not trying to promote this site. That might be against the rules. I just wanted to be upfront. 

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I doubt it. It's hard to see Conley in the first -- and I like him, but he's probably the fifth best corner in the draft, even with Moreau and Jones out of the picture -- and if a couple QBs and RBs go (maybe a couple TEs?), he could easily fall to the 2nd. It's wishful thinking that he'd last til #46, but before the Combine I mocked him to us at that spot. 

I don't think Tim Williams goes in the first, either. I'd bet money on that (not really, but I feel strongly about it).

I agree with everything you said. 

I know it is just mock drafts, but Tim Williams has been falling "seemingly" daily. He has fallen out of flavor with LIVE GM's, and dropping on boards. I currently have him ranked #40 on my board.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, im not saying i dont like the draft. I do. I just havent ever seen a mock with him in the 3rd.

I have actually seen it quite a bit lately. Not that it means anything though, as it only takes on team to fall on love with him.

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just my opinion but we will see how it rolls come April. Conley could be a 2nd rounder, but I still think Tim Williams goes in the 1st round somewhere.