Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Off-season trade targets

After watching the playoffs and the super bowl tonight I was impressed by the Patriots Kyle Van Noy. Multiple sacks and an interception. What's crazy is that the patriots traded virtually nothing for what looks to be a future pro bowler. They traded their late sixth round pick for the Lions seventh round and Van Noy, who was starting, midway through the season. 

So my questions are: 1) why wasn't that us? and 2) is there anyone that we could make a similar trade for?

There's a lot of threads about free agency and the draft, but none about potential trade targets.

1) We don't/didn't have Bill Belichick. I'm 99.9% certain that if Colts had made the same trade, Van Noy wouldn't have made nearly the same impact as he did with the Patriots. Hopefully that changes soon.

2) Hard to say but maybe a guy like Jeremiah Attaochu or one of those young TEs in Baltimore?

7 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

After watching the playoffs and the super bowl tonight I was impressed by the Patriots Kyle Van Noy. Multiple sacks and an interception. What's crazy is that the patriots traded virtually nothing for what looks to be a future pro bowler. They traded their late sixth round pick for the Lions seventh round and Van Noy, who was starting, midway through the season. 

So my questions are: 1) why wasn't that us? and 2) is there anyone that we could make a similar trade for?

There's a lot of threads about free agency and the draft, but none about potential trade targets.

Curious of what game you were watching?  His stat line is 1 assisted tackle and a half sack.  No interceptions and definitely not a multiple sack game.

1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

Sorry I meant during the playoffs altogether

The guy makes a few plays and you see him as a Pro Bowler! chuckle
 1. * GM?
 2. Why of course
  Hey maybe in the middle of next season another team will decide they have more players at one position than they need and offer up Your guy.
 If i come up with an idea on who that might be i will share it. LOL

I was thinking about a trade of former No.1's.   Dorsett for Shelton.  They are both in their rookie contract and Shelton is 23.  Cleveland is switching to a 4-3 defense so the big NT might become available and Cleveland might be in the market for a WR.   Not sure if it would be even up but it might be worth exploring.  Shelton might be a two down player for the most part where Dorsett would be an every down player. 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was thinking about a trade of former No.1's.   Dorsett for Shelton.  They are both in their rookie contract and Shelton is 23.  Cleveland is switching to a 4-3 defense so the big NT might become available and Cleveland might be in the market for a WR.   Not sure if it would be even up but it might be worth exploring.  Shelton might be a two down player for the most part where Dorsett would be an every down player. 

Id take that trade in a heart beat but doubt Cleveland would do it. 

10 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

The Patriots always seem to be one step ahead of the competition.  It turns out they will receive a comp pick for Michael Floyd if they decide not to retain him.  

Hopefully Ballard can capitalize on similar scenarios moving forward.

I was a big Van Noy fan when he was drafted, but he was hurt in Detroit and just stunk it up in general. The Pats took a castoff with potential and put him in a situation where his talents would be useful. Same with Eric Rowe. They've done it before, they'll do it again.

They've also tried with other players, and it didn't work out. But for late rounders, it's worth the risk. The key is identifying the level of risk you're acceptable with, and then having good coaching. 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was a big Van Noy fan when he was drafted, but he was hurt in Detroit and just stunk it up in general. The Pats took a castoff with potential and put him in a situation where his talents would be useful. Same with Eric Rowe. They've done it before, they'll do it again.

They've also tried with other players, and it didn't work out. But for late rounders, it's worth the risk. The key is identifying the level of risk you're acceptable with, and then having good coaching. 

I agree I was high on him as well and talked about drafting him in here.  Unfortunately Detroit was not a fit but he does still have potential.  Patriots have a system that can make some players really shine.  Not saying his is even close to that yet.

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Shelton actually improved this season. Dorsett did not. If that was the case we'd have to give up a pick along with Dorsett.

I'd give up a 1 for Danielle Hunter. Bet. He's on his way to becoming a top 5 EDGE rusher right there with or slightly behind Miller, Mack, Houston, etc. Heck I'd give a 1 and a 4. Minnesota is too smart for that though. They have a loaded YOUNG defense and I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to trade away a superstar, and maybe the best player on the entire team.

So I'd go for late round trades for possible gems, guys who haven't put it all together yet, etc. Maybe a Darquez Dennard or somebody. Unless some team is wanting to give away a Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins type talent again.