Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker out 4-6 months

According to WalterFootball, Hooker had hernia and labrum surgery. He won't be able to participate in the combine or other spring workouts for teams prior to the draft. Medical checks before the draft will indicate whether or not he will miss any training camp time.

This likely won't affect availability for his rookie season, but if he's pushed down even 4-5 spots, that could put him in play for the Colts. 

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

I love, Love, LOVE me some Malik Hooker.     And if his medicals check out,  if, for whatever reason,  Hooker falls to the Colts,  I'd be in favor of drafting him,  even though he doesn't play a position of very high need.

But he's got top-5 talent, and how many times does it happen where you have a chance to draft a kid like that with a pick in the middle of the 1st round?!?

If he's there,  and he checks out with your organization ---  then draft him!

We'll figure the rest out later....

Slated in most drafts at #7 because SD really needs a safety to replace what they lost when Weddle left. If Adams from LSU was not such a good player, Hooker would be top 3, and I have heard Jeremiah say as far as ceiling, that is where he belongs. We have only glimpses about how good he will be. Earl Thomas comes to mind as far as ceiling and if he dropped we would be silly not to take him imho. One of the true studs this draft if medical clears him.

I know I will get mocked for this, but if medical said he won't make training camp, it would be good for Colts. He probably would fall then. I would hate it for the kid, but not for us.

On February 3, 2017 at 4:38 PM, stitches said:

If he'll be out for 6 months he will be ready to go August.

Who would you draft if the following are available? I think just like last year...there are a few guys that will be in the top 15 that we are not talking about... Position of Need in the first, Position of Need in the second, then wants...just my opinion. Cheers.

1. Reuben Foster

2. Derek Barnett

3. Soloman Thomas

4. Jamal Adams

5. Leonard Fournette

6. Malik Hooker

3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Who would you draft if the following are available? I think just like last year...there are a few guys that will be in the top 15 that we are not talking about... Position of Need in the first, Position of Need in the second, then wants...just my opinion. Cheers.

1. Reuben Foster

2. Derek Barnett

3. Soloman Thomas

4. Jamal Adams

5. Leonard Fournette

6. Malik Hooker

That would be hell of a choice to have. Right now my ranking of those would be as follows:

1.Jamal Adams

2. Reuben Foster

3. Malik Hooker

4. Solomon Thomas

5. Derek Barnett

6. Leonard Fournette

I'd be very happy with every single one 1-5. Fournette would be very exciting, but I feel like we can use this pick in a better way.

6 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

What is it with the infatuation with safeties on this forum. We haven't even seen if Green can develop yet. I'm not spending 10 million on Berry and I'm not using a first rounder on a safety with all the other issues we have.

It's actually the opposite there are more people with your opinion that safeties are useless then people that actually want an elite young ball hawk at S

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's actually the opposite there are more people with your opinion that safeties are useless then people that actually want an elite young ball hawk at S

Well first of all I didn't say safeties are useless I just think drafting one in the first round after drafting one in the second round last year with the rest of the teams deficiencies is not a good look.

Second I have seen way more people say they want Eric Berry on this forum than the ones that don't.

6 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

What is it with the infatuation with safeties on this forum. We haven't even seen if Green can develop yet. I'm not spending 10 million on Berry and I'm not using a first rounder on a safety with all the other issues we have.

Draft BPA. Both safeties early in the draft are amazing. They are elite prospects at their position. I don't have ANY trust in Green every becoming more than rotational piece. Green is not the type of prospect that should dictate to you whether or not you draft safety in the first. IMO if either of them are there(and are BPA), you draft them. I have zero problem with that.

3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Well first of all I didn't say safeties are useless I just think drafting one in the first round after drafting one in the second round last year with the rest of the teams deficiencies is not a good look.

Second I have seen way more people say they want Eric Berry on this forum than the ones that don't.

No need to compound one mistake with another. Green was the worst safety(grades wise) coming out of college(127th out of 128, or something of that sort) and was the worst safety both overall and in coverage in the NFL last year. There is a very real chance we just made a mistake with him. If one of the best safeties in the draft falls to you, Green should not be a big consideration on whether you draft him or not. Both Hooker and Adams are elite prospects IMO. You don't miss on that because maybe the worst safety two consecutive years on two different levels would suddenly become great.

11 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Green is the worst safety in the NFL and it's gonna take a miracle from God for him to become a great coverage saftey 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Draft BPA. Both safeties early in the draft are amazing. They are elite prospects at their position. I don't have ANY trust in Green every becoming more than rotational piece. Green is not the type of prospect that should dictate to you whether or not you draft safety in the first. IMO if either of them are there(and are BPA), you draft them. I have zero problem with that.

We need some Excellent players period.
  The priority is clearly a pass rusher 1st, but we have no deep safety so
a potential great one fits us very well. As would a great CB prospect.

Pass rush please. All day long. It dramatically raises the play of the  the secondary. The lack of a pass rush is the Achilles heel of this defense. An elite passs rusher isn't going to be around later in the draft, but very well could be at the time of the Colts' first round selection. From your list, Barnett fits that description. 

12 hours ago, FalseStart said:

1. Reuben Foster

2. Derek Barnett

3. Soloman Thomas

4. Jamal Adams

5. Leonard Fournette

6. Malik Hooker

Soloman T

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

What about the obsession with running back? 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

I mean I guess I wouldn't mind but Hooker would be of no help if we have the same inept pass rush next year. It would depend on what we do in free agency.

I'll take him in a heart beat. 

I still have faith in Green, and if Geathers stays healthy, he'll be a good player for the Colts....but those are two big ifs. Hooker is literally a top 5 talent. And this defense needs some play makers, regardless of position. Yes I know pass rush and ILB are bigger needs, but Hooker is more talented than any OLB, or ILB that will likely. be there when the Colts pick.

Ballard said he will draft BPA regardless.  He believes it is more important to draft great players than it is to draft for need.  Of course it is a bonus if BPA and need intersect.  

If Hooker fell to us and Ballard pulled the trigger on him I wouldn't be mad.

18 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

After the oline the colts have had for the last 10 years it also blows my mind. 

I don't want a RB in the first, this not me saying I do. But as far as why some people do, I can understand it. First the line play was better last year, especially in the run game. Late in the year I would see some of those holes open up and wish we had a young elusive back to explode out of them. In the passing game, if we had a back that could catch it at the LOS and hurt teams, I think that would really help our receivers down field. Also as the team stands now, we have to win games with Luck, if he has a bad day, we lose. In my opinion only two things could change that, a defense and a running back. I do not believe our defense is close enough that within one draft they will be able to win some games for us, but I think a running back could. With that all being said, I would still draft defense heavy and not look at a running back until maybe the 4th, but I can at least understand why some would say if Cook or Forneutte are available you have to draft them.

17 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I don't want a RB in the first, this not me saying I do. But as far as why some people do, I can understand it. First the line play was better last year, especially in the run game. Late in the year I would see some of those holes open up and wish we had a young elusive back to explode out of them. In the passing game, if we had a back that could catch it at the LOS and hurt teams, I think that would really help our receivers down field. Also as the team stands now, we have to win games with Luck, if he has a bad day, we lose. In my opinion only two things could change that, a defense and a running back. I do not believe our defense is close enough that within one draft they will be able to win some games for us, but I think a running back could. With that all being said, I would still draft defense heavy and not look at a running back until maybe the 4th, but I can at least understand why some would say if Cook or Forneutte are available you have to draft them.

I could handle a 4th round RB. It's just, the oline has improved SLIGHTLY for ONE season. Far too small a sample to say the line has improved. The colts have been inconsistent so I don't like the idea of relying on that small improvement to draft a RB early. I like that Ballard believes you win in the trenches because we haven't had anyone in the trenches since 06. And we haven't won the SB since, and both lines have slowly declined. Having top talent at RB is a luxury not a need. We have spent too many picks on luxury and we haven't won the SB going that route. So I like the idea of a change of pace.