Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts In The Hof

IndyTrav

Trying to break the streak of "Will he/Won't he" Threads, with a classic "Who will make HoF" thread....

My opinions on this subject aren't generally to popular, so lets hope it provides some new gusto to the forum and see if we can get some good debate riled up.

Indianapolis Colts that will make the NFL Hall of Fame:

Peyton Manning- The guy is going to have an entire wing, no debate with this one.

Jeff Saturday- Here is a guy who has performed at a top level, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pros, for nearly 13 years. He was the only center for THE premier QB of the decade, which is something, I assure you, HoF voters look at. Outside of his rookie year he's missed 6 games, so he was a model of consistency. Now factor in his story (UDFA), and his close connection with several other potential HoF members (Manning, Dungy, Polian, Kraft) and I think you'll have one of the few OL who make it in.....Now unfortuantely for Jeff, there are only about 7 centers in the HoF, the last playing one being Mike Webster who retired in 1990. (Depending on how you view Bruce Matthews) So it will be an uphill battle, but I think Jeffs recent position and importance in the past off-season put him over the hump.

Outside Shots:

Marvin Harrison- The only reason Marvin would make it, is based off his play WITH Manning. While I loved Marvin, and at the time thought he was a 'lock', I just can't see him making it in with the way the WR is turning out. Factor in the diluted WR field (there are about 15 players), and I really think Marvin gets lost somewhere in the muddy middle.

And thats all folks.

Let the debates begin.

Marvin Harrison- The only reason Marvin would make it, is based off his play WITH Manning. While I loved Marvin, and at the time thought he was a 'lock', I just can't see him making it in with the way the WR is turning out. Factor in the diluted WR field (there are about 15 players), and I really think Marvin gets lost somewhere in the muddy middle.

I think Marvin will get in. Look at the single season reception record he has. 143 is a number only Wes Welker is close to with 123. Marvin is also half of the greatest QB/WR duo in league history. He may not be a first round ballet, but he will get in. I also think Freeney has an outside stance of getting in.

I think Manning and Saturday are locks, Marvin will probably get in eventually, and Dwight Freeney has an outside shot I would think...? How many pro bowls has he been to now?

Dwight MAY have an outside shot. He's a Ring of Honor player for sure, but NFL HoF, I don't think so.

At the moment he has 7 Pro Bowls, and 3 All-Pros. The problem with Dwight, is its hard enough to get in as a DL, and he would at best be the 7-8 DL from this era to get in. Similar to the boat Marvin is in. He was great, but so were about 15-20 other players at the position.

I think Marvin will get in. Look at the single season reception record he has. 143 is a number only Wes Welker is close to with 123. Marvin is also half of the greatest QB/WR duo in league history. He may not be a first round ballet, but he will get in. I also think Freeney has an outside stance of getting in.

While its fair to point out Marvins single season record, but I like to point to a guy like Torry Holt.

Give Torry Holts career #'s a look. Outside of TD's Holt and Marvin are nearly identical. In nearly all aspects.

Unfortuantley for Marvin, at this very moment there are about 5-8 WRs who are all nearly identical. Carter/Brown/Reed/Smith/Harrison/Holt/Bruce....And this is without getting into Moss and TO.....Now you take a look at what WR's are doing now-a-days, like Welker, who in basically 5 years, has 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pros, and about 554 rec.....Marvins best 5 years combined equaled 563 rec......Its going to be very interesting.

While its fair to point out Marvins single season record, but I like to point to a guy like Torry Holt.

Give Torry Holts career #'s a look. Outside of TD's Holt and Marvin are nearly identical. In nearly all aspects.

Unfortuantley for Marvin, at this very moment there are about 5-8 WRs who are all nearly identical. Carter/Brown/Reed/Smith/Harrison/Holt/Bruce....And this is without getting into Moss and TO.....Now you take a look at what WR's are doing now-a-days, like Welker, who in basically 5 years, has 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pros, and about 554 rec.....Marvins best 5 years combined equaled 563 rec......Its going to be very interesting.

All good points, but I do think HoF voters will take things like league trends into account.

One thing is for sure.....all these WRs were very consistent and key parts of dominant offenses.

If Michael Irvin is a HoFer.....the voters really need to clear this WR backlog. IMO.....they are all deserving and none of them would cheapen the honor.

.....the voters really need to clear this WR backlog. IMO.....they are all deserving and none of them would cheapen the honor.

This is a very key point.

The problem alot of people fail to recognize is there are only so many spots. 5 a year. And lets say in a perfect world they elect 1 WR a year, which is absurd, it would still take several years for Marvin to make it in. Then you factor in guys who WILL be locks who will occupy one of the five spots. Guys like Favre, Manning, Brady, Lewis, in the coming years, and the backlog will get even greater.

This is a very key point.

The problem alot of people fail to recognize is there are only so many spots. 5 a year. And lets say in a perfect world they elect 1 WR a year, which is absurd, it would still take several years for Marvin to make it in. Then you factor in guys who WILL be locks who will occupy one of the five spots. Guys like Favre, Manning, Brady, Lewis, in the coming years, and the backlog will get even greater.

Yep... there is that too.

I DO think though that if the NFL continues to trend so heavily toward "pass-first" it could considerably slow down the number of present day active WRs who can distinguish themselves and get nominated, especially if an "everybody's doing it" attitude among voters begins to take hold.

And it looks like we now have a TE trend emerging with the NE guys blowing up..... which I'll be suprised if it doesn't get copied, and could water down WR numbers as well.

You'll have your occasional "beasts" like Larry Fitz and Andre Johnson..... but the trend for now is that receptions are going to be spread out alot more.

Of course Manning will get in, and possibly Saturday, though he is just as tied to Manning as the receivers are. I would like to see them all get in, for sure they will one day be in the Colts Ring of Honor! I really wish Harrison hadn't gotten into trouble with the law.

Freeney and Mathis both will have a shot IMO - hard to deny that they are both consummate sack fumble pros!

Too bad they dont put clipboard holders into the hall - Sorgi did it so well for so long! :)

And the mention of board must come with that of cardboard cutouts that is - I vote for JC!

Freeney and Mathis both will have a shot IMO - hard to deny that they are both consummate sack fumble pros!

They are both consummate sack fumble pros, unfortuantley its not the Sack Fumble HoF.

One of the biggest problems with Dwight is that it can be argued that he isn't even the best DE on his own team. You got a guy in Mathis who has started 58 less games, played in 14 less games, yet he is only 19 sacks short of Dwight, has more Pass Deflections, only 3 less forced fumbles, 9 more fumble recoveries, and more tackles. And thats just on Dwights own team. To be honest, I personally feel I can make a better argument for Mathis for HoF than I could for Freeney.

I would be very surprised if Jeff Saturday were a Hall of Famer. There are very few pure centers in and none from the last 20 years. If any center makes it from this era I think it will be Mangold.

Harrison is on the edge leaning in. The problem is the overcrowding at the position.

Freeney is on the bubble but a few more years of good production should get him in. There are however a lot of pass rushers with much better stats still waiting.

Polian is iffy. Only 2 pure GMs are in and both were involved in the merger.

Dungy is very iffy but he may get in for being the first black coach to win a championship.

Marvin may not be a first ballet guy but his numbers make him one of the top five greatest players in the history of the game at his poistion. He'll get it.

Whoa, Top 5 All-Time?

Marvin will get in based on records. Maybe Moss, Owens, Bruce and Carter before him, but he has too many individual and conjoined records with Peyton to get snubbed. It also doesn't look like anyone will be coming close outside Stafford/Calvin Johnson.

I see what you guys are saying about records, but those records were held by guys who currently aren't in the Hall of Fame. Carter and Reed.

Other Colts HOF's

Dungy will go in. First African-American to win a Super Bowl and holding the record he does for winning in the regular season is going to off-set his playoff record. Also people are going to look at what the Bucs were before he there when it was a job NO ONE could win at it and people who know football and vote on this will give him credit for turning that team around.

Freeney and Mathis both have good shots if they keep going on the pace they are on and remaining one of the best sack tandoms in football.

Wayne has a good chance. His numbers are already better than a large number of HOF WRs before him but there does seem to be a crunch of WRs a head of him. So we'll see.

Saturday has a shot. There is no way to measure if a lineman is a HOF player or not because they don't really keep major stats on them. It just kinda boils down to does the people voting on you like you.

Adam V. It is very hard for kickers to get in. Even with one who has done the things Adam has done in his career. If he gets in it will be mostly for what he did as a Pat but the NFL doesn't put you in with one team. They put you in with every team you played for. So he would go in as a Colt as well.

Beyond that i think it comes a reach to argue others and guys like Clark, Bethea, and probably one or two of these guys will probably head to the Ring of Honor rather than the Haff of Fame which is part of what a Ring of Honor is for. To honor those players who ment a lot to your franchise but weren't good enough to for the Hall of Fame.

Whoa, Top 5 All-Time?

I see what you guys are saying about records, but those records were held by guys who currently aren't in the Hall of Fame. Carter and Reed.

Number wise yes. Marvin retired number two or number three on just about every major recieving stat there is. He was only the fourth guy to go over 1,000 catches and ended up passing two of those guys to move to second and was only recently passed by Gonzalez to move to third on that list. He's sixith in terms of reciving yards in a career and was higher up on that list when he retired only recently being passed by Moss, Owens and Bruce. His 128 touchdowns are fifth on the TDs list for a WR. Again only recently being passed by Moss and Owens.

He also still holds the NFL record by a wide margin for most passes caught in a single season in 2002 breaking the previous record by 20 catches.

Also great WR's don't get punished for playing with a great QB. They are viewed as going hand-in-hand with each other. Don't forget in the early part of his career the only WR Peyton had that could catch anything was Marvin which is why he holds that 2002 record by such a wide margin. It wasn't till Wayne came along with Stokley that the Colts had a set of truly great WRs for Peyton. For a good four to five years it was just Peyton and Marvin and Peyton wasn't making the likes of Pathon, Green, and Ismail great. Marvin gets some credit too for just being great.

Andre Reed's name is below Marvin's on just about every major recepstions mark there is. Cris Carter is neck and neck with Marvin Harrison and a lot of people say what keeps Carter out of the Hall of Fame is two things, he was known for being a jerk and he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring. Since we get reminded all the time that a ring matters for legacy by Pats fans Marvin has one of those. Marvin will go into the Hall of Fame. It may not happen on the first ballot but he'll go in.

Number wise yes. Marvin retired number two or number three on just about every major recieving stat there is. He was only the fourth guy to go over 1,000 catches and ended up passing two of those guys to move to second and was only recently passed by Gonzalez to move to third on that list. He's sixith in terms of reciving yards in a career and was higher up on that list when he retired only recently being passed by Moss, Owens and Bruce. His 128 touchdowns are fifth on the TDs list for a WR. Again only recently being passed by Moss and Owens.

He also still holds the NFL record by a wide margin for most passes caught in a single season in 2002 breaking the previous record by 20 catches.

Also great WR's don't get punished for playing with a great QB. They are viewed as going hand-in-hand with each other. Don't forget in the early part of his career the only WR Peyton had that could catch anything was Marvin which is why he holds that 2002 record by such a wide margin. It wasn't till Wayne came along with Stokley that the Colts had a set of truly great WRs for Peyton. For a good four to five years it was just Peyton and Marvin and Peyton wasn't making the likes of Pathon, Green, and Ismail great. Marvin gets some credit too for just being great.

Andre Reed's name is below Marvin's on just about every major recepstions mark there is. Cris Carter is neck and neck with Marvin Harrison and a lot of people say what keeps Carter out of the Hall of Fame is two things, he was known for being a jerk and he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring. Since we get reminded all the time that a ring matters for legacy by Pats fans Marvin has one of those. Marvin will go into the Hall of Fame.

The positions Marvin holds now in the record books, were previously held by Carter and Reed, both of whom have yet to make it in....Moss, and Owens catching Marvin 'only recently' has zero bearing.

His most catches in a season, while fantastic, isn't anything too substantial. Herman Moore the previous record holder, was actually a fairly fantastic WR for some crappy Lions teams before injuries caught up. To the tune of 4 pro bowls and 3 all pros. And he will never be mentioned for HoF.

And while I agree somewhat that WR's shouldn't be 'punished' for quality QB play, but when you have two guys, in this instance Marvin and Cris Carter, who have nearly identical #'s, it is something that seperates the two. You've got Marvin who has caught passes from 2 players. 1 year with Harbuagh, the rest with Manning. Where as Carter caught passes from Cunningham, Gannon, Wilson, McMahon, Johnson, Culpepper, Moon, Fiedler etc etc. So if you hold the two in a vaccum, both with nearly identical stats, and you ask "Whats more impressive all these stats with the best QB of all time (arguably) or all these stats with random QBs" I'd easily say Carters accomplishments are more impressive.

But im not sure you really want to bring Marvin in based on his 'ring' because at that point, we can pull up his playoff #'s, which frankly, are horrendous.

The positions Marvin holds now in the record books, were previously held by Carter and Reed, both of whom have yet to make it in....Moss, and Owens catching Marvin 'only recently' has zero bearing.

His most catches in a season, while fantastic, isn't anything too substantial. Herman Moore the previous record holder, was actually a fairly fantastic WR for some crappy Lions teams before injuries caught up. To the tune of 4 pro bowls and 3 all pros. And he will never be mentioned for HoF.

And while I agree somewhat that WR's shouldn't be 'punished' for quality QB play, but when you have two guys, in this instance Marvin and Cris Carter, who have nearly identical #'s, it is something that seperates the two. You've got Marvin who has caught passes from 2 players. 1 year with Harbuagh, the rest with Manning. Where as Carter caught passes from Cunningham, Gannon, Wilson, McMahon, Johnson, Culpepper, Moon, Fiedler etc etc. So if you hold the two in a vaccum, both with nearly identical stats, and you ask "Whats more impressive all these stats with the best QB of all time (arguably) or all these stats with random QBs" I'd easily say Carters accomplishments are more impressive.

But im not sure you really want to bring Marvin in based on his 'ring' because at that point, we can pull up his playoff #'s, which frankly, are horrendous.

Moore's number didn't mean as much because he didn't have the career numbers to go with it. Marvin does. Also anytime you set a record like that by 20 catches, that's not just breaking the record that is smashing it. It would be like if a QB threw 60 TDs next year in a single season. That's an impressive accomplishment and makes the record look better when compared to Marvin's career numbers.

I put the only recently in there for the person who is going to look up those numbers and say hey Moss and TO have moved ahead of him on those numbers. Which is true they have. Yet when Marvin retired he has second of third on just about every recevieing number there was.

Marvin's career numbers are better than Reed's. Far better for the most part. Marvin had close to 150 more catches than Reed, or more than Marvin's single season record for catches just to give you an idea. Marvin had closer to 1,300 more yards than Reed and Marvin had 45 TDs than him. When you factor in both played with a HOF QB that's a major gap. Also Reed never had a player to the talent level of Reggie Wayne playing on the otherside of him at any point in his career.

Carter on the other had is neck and neck with Marvin. Again most people feel Carter will get in at some point and what is keeping him out is two reasons, one no Super Bowls and two he is thought of as a jerk. I brought up Marvin's ring to point out he has something Carter does not (and Reed for that matter) a Super Bowl ring and yes like I said to the Pats fans when arguing about Brady and Manning while it's not an end all be all trump card because it is still a team accomplishment it does matter to a player's legacy. Marvin has one it will help his case.

As for Marvin playing with Jim Harbaugh for two years most people agreed when Marvin came into the league it took three years for a WR to truly grow into his poistion. Look at what happened in Marvin's third year. You aren't getting a fair read on Marvin Harrison by just looking at his first two years in the league regardless of who the QB was. Look at Reggie's first two years WITH Peyton as proof of that. With that said the NFL has changed since Marvin was draft and newer WRs are called on to make an impact sooner.

Like I said he might not be a first ballot guy but he will get in.

New member here, tossing in my two cents. And by the way, two cents isn't worth much... :)

Hall of Fame Colts, in my opinion, are as follows:

Sureties:

Peyton Manning

Probabilities:

Marvin Harrison

Reggie Wayne

Adam Vinatieri

Possiblities:

Jeff Saturday

Dwight Freeney

Dallas Clark

This is just my opinon. And keep in mind, my opinion is very extremely biased, so it was hard for me not to place all of the Colts on here! :) I do know how hard it is to get in the Hall Of Fame, which is why the only surety on this list is Peyton Manning. However, I also am aware that several people unexpected to be inducted have been, so I decided to keep an open mind and include several possibilities.

The sureties are the ones I know will be there. The probabilities are the ones I think will be there. The possibilities are the ones I hope will be in there. By the way, IndyTrav, thanks for a positive thread.

New member here, tossing in my two cents. And by the way, two cents isn't worth much... :)

Hall of Fame Colts, in my opinion, are as follows:

Sureties:

Peyton Manning

Probabilities:

Marvin Harrison

Reggie Wayne

Adam Vinatieri

Possiblities:

Jeff Saturday

Dwight Freeney

Dallas Clark

This is just my opinon. And keep in mind, my opinion is very extremely biased, so it was hard for me not to place all of the Colts on here! :) I do know how hard it is to get in the Hall Of Fame, which is why the only surety on this list is Peyton Manning. However, I also am aware that several people unexpected to be inducted have been, so I decided to keep an open mind and include several possibilities.

I think everyone there you listed is for sure on the Colts Ring of Honor with the exception of Clark.

I like Wayne alot, but I feel he has some pretty wild circumstances. Heres a guy who came in following a legitimate HoF candidate, after playing alongside him for many years, and was a premire #1 WR, but nothing about Reggie is 'historic'. He doesn't have a definitive season, or a definitive achievement. Thats not to say he wasnt extraordinary, because he was, he was fantastic. He has just always been in someones 'shadow'. If it wasn't Marvin it was a 22TD season by Moss, or some other terrific season. I think Reggie is the prototypical Hall of Very Good. Check out Chad OchoCincos #'s and Reggie.

I want Marvin in, I just don't think its going to happen.

Freeney, as a Colts fan, of course I want the guy in, but as a football fan, he just cant be in there. No Kevin Greene. No Dwight Freeney. But Mathis on the other hand, this sneaky little guy, :ninja: , he could be 1 or 2 seasons away from beating Dwight outright in the race to the HoF.

I just saw the semi-finalist list for this years HoF induction. Announcement is at 5:30 I think? Heres the list. http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2012/1/7/class-of-2012-finalists/

Something I found very surprising, Will Sheilds and Willie Roaf getting some mention. I think that bodes extremely well for Saturday. On the other hand, that WR log jam is even more apparent with nearly all making the finals list. I saw someone tweeted Peter King asking if Marvin was a first Ballot, and he said something to the extent of 'logjam' in his tweet. So its an up hill battle for Marv.

The log jam at WR remains... not one of them got in, again. And Greene and Haley don't get in again, which doesn't send a great message about Freeney.

I don't think Saturday goes to the HOF. Good player, longevity, consistent, but he won't be one of the best in his generation, let alone one of the best ever. Love him, huge fan, but I don't think he is a HOFer. Mawae and Birk and Kruetz are as good if not better, and contemporaries of Saturday. Bettis not getting in makes Edge look less promising. Tarik Glenn was underrated I thought, but again, he wasn't the best LT of his generation, so one of the best all time? No.

Manning I think is it. I would have thought Harrison, but with Reed, Brown, and Carter still not in.....

The log jam at WR remains... not one of them got in, again. And Greene and Haley don't get in again, which doesn't send a great message about Freeney.

I don't think Saturday goes to the HOF. Good player, longevity, consistent, but he won't be one of the best in his generation, let alone one of the best ever. Love him, huge fan, but I don't think he is a HOFer. Mawae and Birk and Kruetz are as good if not better, and contemporaries of Saturday. Bettis not getting in makes Edge look less promising. Tarik Glenn was underrated I thought, but again, he wasn't the best LT of his generation, so one of the best all time? No. Faulk will get in, but not sure whether people here think of him as a Ram or Colt....

Manning I think is it. I would have thought Harrison, but with Reed, Brown, and Carter still not in.....

Saturday will get in. Dawson going in just made my belief stronger. Birk doesn't have a chance. Mawae may be able to do it, but him and Saturday share the same amount of All Pros, but Saturday has a ring, and was Peytons career center, and was an UDFA. He trumps in every category. Kruetz aint got a shot either.

Doleman taking this long, AND no Greene Haley, really sends a message about Dwight, I def. agree there.

Faulks already in. he got in last year. 1st ballot.

Tarik may make Ring of Honor here in Indy, and that would be the best he could achieve.

Saturday will get in. Dawson going in just made my belief stronger. Birk doesn't have a chance. Mawae may be able to do it, but him and Saturday share the same amount of All Pros, but Saturday has a ring, and was Peytons career center, and was an UDFA. He trumps in every category. Kruetz aint got a shot either.

Doleman taking this long, AND no Greene Haley, really sends a message about Dwight, I def. agree there.

Faulks already in. he got in last year. 1st ballot.

Tarik may make Ring of Honor here in Indy, and that would be the best he could achieve.

Forgot about Faulk. I gotta stop drinking. I edited my post.

There are now eight centers in the HOF from the modern era, and that's including Bruce Matthews who played all three line positions. To me you have to ask if the player was not only the most dominant of his time, but one of the best ever. The Colts were so pass-heavy during his career, I just don't see the balance or dominance that would be required. And if we look at 60 years of HOF (modern era is around 1950 and up), and count 8 centers total, that's one per generation basically. Kruetz made 6 pro bowls, and was on the all decade team. Mawae made 9 pro bowls, and was also on the all decade team.

I guess my point is, like we're seeing at WR now, and what will continue to happen at WR in the coming years, when you have three or four (or more) similar players, none get in, or it takes years to handle them one at a time.

I hope I'm wrong - the Colts run of success was not PM alone, so I hope that success is rewarded by multiple entries into the HOF. I just don't know if any of the rest of the contenders were so much more dominant at their position than others in the league at the same time, let alone of all time, it will be tough....

I don't think Saturday goes to the HOF. Good player, longevity, consistent, but he won't be one of the best in his generation, let alone one of the best ever. Love him, huge fan, but I don't think he is a HOFer. Mawae and Birk and Kruetz are as good if not better, and contemporaries of Saturday. Bettis not getting in makes Edge look less promising. Tarik Glenn was underrated I thought, but again, he wasn't the best LT of his generation, so one of the best all time? No.

I'm a huge Saturday fan as well, but I heard someone, I believe Rich Eisen, perhaps, say that he had only given up 10 sacks in his entire career. That blew my mind. Now, I don't know other statistics of the other guys listed, they may be much better---but 10 sacks really knocked my socks off.

I do agree with most all of your other synopsis. I think you're right about James and Glenn. I know that the WR spot is clogged up, but I just think that Marvin is an extreme probability.

One other thing - Saturday's ring won't mean a thing to the voters. Haley has five rings, and he still waits. But he is a good example to me with a problem Saturday will have. Haley's contemporaries were Reggie White and Bruce Smith. So as successsful as Haley was being on Super Bowl teams, and as disruptive and talented as he was, Smith and White were better. Haley had far fewer sacks than those two - by far - but listen to anyone from that era talk about how much of an impact he had, and they are shocked he isn't in the HOF yet.

PM is in. Marvin has a toe in the water. DFree next most likely based on his comeback from an injury that we were told would be devastating to his spin move. It wasn't. Saturday, Wayne, Mathis, and AV on the outside looking in. However.....Mathis gets to stand up in a 3-4 hybrid and still produces for 3 more years with another ring? Reggie gets 3 more solid years with another ring? They are peering in. I dont think AV and Saturday will be in the league 3 years from now and kickers or centers are tough positions to get in the hall. Adam more the likely between the two.

One note, PM comes back with Jeff at center and they get another ring? Jeff gets in.

Since Curtis Martin made it in the HOF, there is a great chance Edgerrin James can too. As for Marvin Harrison, he SHOULD make it, but I am not sure if he will. Peyton is a lock.

I agree 100%.... and I was curious to see how long it would take for Curtis Martin to get in. Martin's final season was 2005 so if he retired in 2006 it took 6 years..... 1 year beyond first ballot eligibility. Not bad and congrats to Curtis.

Due in large part to his ACL tear in 2001, Edge's rushing yards are 1800 less than Martin's but he is still the #11 all-time rusher, he is slightly ahead of Martin in reception yardage and Edge was far and away the best blocking RB in the NFL during his career.

It will take a few years beyond first ballot.... but I think Edge deserves to and will make it in. Especially considering the workhorse role he had which is almost no where to be found in the NFL anymore.