Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon turning Pro....

The word has not come out officially,  but ESPN says it has multiple sources that have confirmed this.    

I suspect a team like New England with extra picks,  or Cleveland,   or someone else will take him before the Colts do.

But if Mixon is there in the 4th round when I want the Colts to take a RB,  then I hope we select him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18415550/joe-mixon-tells-oklahoma-sooners-going-pro

He's a super talented kid.      Zeirlein of NFL.com calls him the best ALL AROUND back in the draft.     Can do everything.     The story I linked says Kiper has him as the 5th best overall back,  but doesn't list him yet because he wasn't sure he'd be coming out.     The kid has talent.

As for his terrible incident,  I'd say this........    One,  Mixon was 18 when it happened.     Ray Rice was 27.     Those 9 years of difference are an eternity.    Two,  the young lady slapped him hard which triggered Mixon's reaction.     That didn't happen to Rice.      Look,  the current standard is that it's never OK to hit a woman,  and I'm fine with that.

But the kid did this nearly 3 years ago.     I hope he gets a 2nd chance whether it's with the Colts or not.      And I would think (my guess)  that the young lady would want him to play....    I think she's suing him.    The only way for him to have some real money is if he signs an NFL contract.      If he's got empty pockets,  what good does it do to sue?

Just some food for thought.......

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The word has not come out officially,  but ESPN says it has multiple sources that have confirmed this.    

I suspect a team like New England with extra picks,  or Cleveland,   or someone else will take him before the Colts do.

But if Mixon is there in the 4th round when I want the Colts to take a RB,  then I hope we select him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18415550/joe-mixon-tells-oklahoma-sooners-going-pro

He's a super talented kid.      Zeirlein of NFL.com calls him the best ALL AROUND back in the draft.     Can do everything.     The story I linked says Kiper has him as the 5th best overall back,  but doesn't list him yet because he wasn't sure he'd be coming out.     The kid has talent.

As for his terrible incident,  I'd say this........    One,  Mixon was 18 when it happened.     Ray Rice was 27.     Those 9 years of difference are an eternity.    Two,  the young lady slapped him hard which triggered Mixon's reaction.     That didn't happen to Rice.      Look,  the current standard is that it's never OK to hit a woman,  and I'm fine with that.

But the kid did this nearly 3 years ago.     I hope he gets a 2nd chance whether it's with the Colts or not.      And I would think (my guess)  that the young lady would want him to play....    I think she's suing him.    The only way for him to have some real money is if he signs an NFL contract.      If he's got empty pockets,  what good does it do to sue?

There was a report that Rice's wife and girlfriend at the time hit him first and besides what Greg Hardy did was much worst than what Rice did and he got another shot.

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Atleast I'm not the only one who wants to take him!! Thanks NCF

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Atleast I'm not the only one who wants to take him!! Thanks NCF

I try to be hypersensitive to these things.      The 10 guys at Minnesota who took turns having sex with a drunk girl get no sympathy from me.

But if Mixon is denied a chance to make a living,  then what?      Then you potentially flush his life down the drain.      I think he's come a long way since the incident.    I think he's ready to be used as an example of what NOT to do.      He says it's never OK to hit a woman.     I think he's learned his lesson.     At least, I hope so.

And in a weird way,  the higher he gets drafted, the more signing bonus he'll get,  the more money the young lady can sue for.    I know that seems crazy,   but don't you want her to get some $$ out of this?    I do.    Letting him play football is the way to do it.      She suffered terribly.     Let's help her and help him at the same time......

Just thinking out loud.         I'd love to hear from the women in our community....   a female perspective would be helpful.......

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I try to be hypersensitive to these things.      The 10 guys at Minnesota who took turns having sex with a drunk girl get no sympathy from me.

But if Mixon is denied a chance to make a living,  then what?      Then you potentially flush his life down the drain.      I think he's come a long way since the incident.    I think he's ready to be used as an example of what NOT to do.      He says it's never OK to hit a woman.     I think he's learned his lesson.     At least, I hope so.

And in a weird way,  the higher he gets drafted, the more signing bonus he'll get,  the more money the young lady can sue for.    I know that seems crazy,   but don't you want her to get some $$ out of this?    I do.    Letting him play football is the way to do it.      She suffered terribly.     Let's help her and help him at the same time......

Just thinking out loud.         I'd love to hear from the women in our community....   a female perspective would be helpful.......

I totally agree!! If he had a history of breaking the law before this or continued to do stupid stuff after I would feel differently. I see it as he made a mistake and he knows it I believe in second chances especially if you have no history of stuff like that. He served his punishment he KNOWS what he did was wrong and he has stayed out of trouble to try and live his dream out of being in the NFL. This kid imo has too much talent to go undrafted and if he somehow does some team will get a really talented player!

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Not with a 10 ft pole

You're probably right.      That's likely what the Colts position will be on him.      And I suspect a number of other teams may agree.    But I think more than half of the teams will be OK with drafting him.

If I were the GM,  I'd be fighting to make him an exception to the rule.      But I suspect it would be a losing battle with Irsay.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're probably right.      That's likely what the Colts position will be on him.      And I suspect a number of other teams may agree.    But I think more than half of the teams will be OK with drafting him.

If I were the GM,  I'd be fighting to make him an exception to the rule.      But I suspect it would be a losing battle with Irsay.

I just have a real problem with guys who hit women.....especially a guy who knocks a woman unconscious and runs away like a coward.  It's something I can't forgive.  Maybe it's not not right, but that's how I feel.

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I just have a real problem with guys who hit women.....especially a guy who knocks a woman unconscious and runs away like a coward.  It's something I can't forgive.  Maybe it's not not right, but that's how I feel.

I'm sorry, but she slapped him. It doesn't matter if he started the altercation in the parking lot. Words were just exchanged. He shouldn't be associated with domestic violence or violence against women. Nothing he did was cowardly neither. I'll only allow a handful of women to slap me in my face. If she ain't my woman, she better be my mother or sister. 

Great talent, but I don't want him on the Colts. Far too much baggage.

He shouldn't have done what he did (regardless who started it), and he should probably have served at least a little time. He definitely should have been booted off the team. The retaliation was far too disproportional.

That being said, I hope he gets a shot somewhere. There were some extenuating circumstances, but most of all, he was a day removed from being 17. I don't like the idea of ruining someones shot at a career for something stupid they did at 17/18 (obvious exceptions being murder/sexual assault).

8 minutes ago, nburgmei said:

Great talent, but I don't want him on the Colts. Far too much baggage.

He shouldn't have done what he did (regardless who started it), and he should probably have served at least a little time. He definitely should have been booted off the team. The retaliation was far too disproportional.

That being said, I hope he gets a shot somewhere. There were some extenuating circumstances, but most of all, he was a day removed from being 17. I don't like the idea of ruining someones shot at a career for something stupid they did at 17/18 (obvious exceptions being murder/sexual assault).

It wasn't necessarily disproportional neither. He didn't co-ck his arm back and unleash a full-on swing. He simply hit her in the face. 

Well, you need to have a lot of guts to take him, i mean, Frank Clarke was a pretty good DE at Michigan then he steal a laptop but he got another chance( and SEA got a first round talent for a 2nd), that's the kind of opportunities that many teams take and sometimes it works.

I would draft him but just after the 4th.

6 minutes ago, Jact.stark said:

Well, you need to have a lot of guts to take him, i mean, Frank Clarke was a pretty good DE at Michigan then he steal a laptop but he got another chance( and SEA got a first round talent for a 2nd), that's the kind of opportunities that many teams take and sometimes it works.

I would draft him but just after the 4th.

Yeah, he should've played another year at Oklahoma. People are going to be afraid to touch him in the upcoming draft. I don't believe he'll be sitting around for long. I believe someone will take him in the 2nd round. Everybody's going to be watching the 1st round. Nobody's going to watch 2nd round and later.

Have any of y'all seen the video? Some of the post in this thread are embarrassing. Minimizing what was a brutal and really unprovoked attack. 

While I'm all for second chances I'd stay far away from this kid. Everything I've heard Mixon say deflects blame to the victim and her friends. He hasn't learned anything. 

52 minutes ago, Solon said:

I'm sorry, but she slapped him. It doesn't matter if he started the altercation in the parking lot. Words were just exchanged. He shouldn't be associated with domestic violence or violence against women. Nothing he did was cowardly neither. I'll only allow a handful of women to slap me in my face. If she ain't my woman, she better be my mother or sister. 

Yes, let's pretend men and women are the same physically.

Pathetic

35 minutes ago, Solon said:

It wasn't necessarily disproportional neither. He didn't co-ck his arm back and unleash a full-on swing. He simply hit her in the face. 

.....and knocked her unconscious and broke bones in her face.  No biggie

Just now, BOTT said:

Yes, let's pretend men and women are the same physically.

Not the point. I'm not talking about the gender equality. If you want to hit someone in the face, regardless of gender, expect to get hit back. I guess we was raised differently.

Just now, Solon said:

Not the point. I'm not talking about the gender equality. If you want to hit someone in the face, regardless of gender, expect to get hit back. I guess we was raised differently.

Yes, and you are just a piece of crap.

6 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Have any of y'all seen the video? Some of the post in this thread are embarrassing. Minimizing what was a brutal and really unprovoked attack. 

While I'm all for second chances I'd stay far away from this kid. Everything I've heard Mixon say deflects blame to the victim and her friends. He hasn't learned anything. 

Unprovoked? I guess slapping someone in the face is nothing nowadays. New world I guess. She's not a victim at all in this. 

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Yes, and you are just a piece of crap.

Has nothing to do with gender. If I decide to slap someone in the face, I know I'm getting hit back. Go ahead and start slapping people in the face. I'm assuming we both know what's going to be their reaction.

He never denied or minimized the attack, he faced the consequences, he was a kid(18 yrs) when that happen, i believe that the pre-draft interview is gonna be a BIG factor in the process.

I saw the video and i think that the girl was looking for trouble, first I DON'T APPROVE any kind of violence as a way to resolve any kind of dispute, saying that look at the video.

You have to take all the angles, @BOTT you probably have a strong view of violence that's ok, but maybe the circumstances around the problem were different.

9 minutes ago, Solon said:

Unprovoked? I guess slapping someone in the face is nothing nowadays. New world I guess. She's not a victim at all in this. 

Watch the video. Sure doesn't look like a slap to me. She shoves him. Not a reason to punch someone, especially someone much weaker than yourself. 

There's much more to this story as well. Can't find a link so I won't speculate here but Mixon and his crew are definitely the aggressors. 

I don't understand how you can defend him! It would be one thing if he was punished and fully accepted responsibility but that hasn't happened. 

I guess we were raised differently. My father would have beaten me if I hit a woman regardless of the circumstances. I was always told to walk away and never hit anyone, especially not a woman. 

4 minutes ago, Jact.stark said:

You have to take all the angles, @BOTT you probably have a strong view of violence that's ok, but maybe the circumstances around the problem were different.

Exactly. I don't condone violence, but what do you expect? You can't slap someone in the face and expect it to be okay. In my opinion, there are two signs of ultimate disrespect: 1. Spitting in someones face 2. Slapping someone in the face. 

5 minutes ago, Jact.stark said:

He never denied or minimized the attack, he faced the consequences, he was a kid(18 yrs) when that happen, i believe that the pre-draft interview is gonna be a BIG factor in the process.

I saw the video and i think that the girl was looking for trouble, first I DON'T APPROVE any kind of violence as a way to resolve any kind of dispute, saying that look at the video.

Everything I've heard from Mixon has been an excuse. She did this... she did that... her friend said this...

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Watch the video. Sure doesn't look like a slap to me. She shoves him. Not a reason to punch someone, especially someone much weaker than yourself. 

There's much more to this story as well. Can't find a link so I won't speculate here but Mixon and his crew are definitely the aggressors. 

I don't understand how you can defend him! It would be one thing if he was punished and fully accepted responsibility but that hasn't happened. 

I guess we were raised differently. My father would have beaten me if I hit a woman regardless of the circumstances. I was always told to walk away and never hit anyone, especially not a woman. 

My mother taught me to never put my hands on anyone if I didn't I want them to put their hands on me. Where are we going with this?

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

Everything I've heard from Mixon has been an excuse. She did this... she did that... her friend said this...

He shouldn't make excuses, but he isn't the only guilty party in this situation. Accountability should be pressured on both sides. Not just one.

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

I'm not defending him i'm just want that everyone know the most facts possible around this case. Then if you still think that he doesn't deserve a chance with the Colts then it's ok, i'm just saying that he is worth the risk/baggage after the 4th round.

7 minutes ago, Solon said:

My mother taught me to never put my hands on anyone if I didn't I want them to put their hands on me. Where are we going with this?

So your mother taught you it was ok to hit women? There's a time to stand up and fight and a time to walk away. Especially if that person is much weaker than you are. 

Honestly I hope he makes onto an NFL team. Then the JJ Watts and Luke Kuechlys of the league can teach him a lesson. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

So your mother taught you it was ok to hit women? There's a time to stand up and fight and a time to walk away. Especially if that person is much weaker than you are. 

Honestly I hope he makes onto an NFL team. Then the JJ Watts and Luke Kuechlys of the league can teach him a lesson. 

SP_21, I encourage you to walk up to someone who's obviously bigger than you and slap them in their face. Come back to me with the results.

He is a volatile prospect but like NCF said at some point his immense talent will warrant his selection.  Whether right or wrong only time will tell if he is a changed person.  He will be under a lot of scrutiny moving forward so if he is remorseful and has learned from his unacceptable act of violence it will certainly show.

The risk might actually be minimized because he will know his first mistake will be his last. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't really know much about him BUT just watched some video on him.

Looks likes a kinda tall rb that runs with good patience and vision and then has acceleration and speed to go through the hole. Looks like he has very good hands and will also be very good catching passes.

I didn't see enough to see if he's a good pass blocker.

If he's drafted in mid to later rounds, some team will be getting a steal of a rb.

It's a shame about his domestic violence incident.

If the colts miss out on Cook/Fournette AND willing to deal with all the controversy he would be a good pick in the 3rd or later. But it would be highly controversial.

2 hours ago, Jact.stark said:

Thank you for bringing this up, if this guy did his homework and and everything he said is a fact then I would have absolutely no problem bringing this guy in in the 3rd or later. Also if her rap sheet is what he said it was and what she did, he took a plea deal and has a misdemeanor owned up and took responsibility but she's waiting for him too go pro to sue then she is what's wrong with society.

He spit in her face before he knocked her out too..He is an animal. .I have ZERO respect for a man that hits a woman...I have no problem giving guys 2nd chances,  but it depends on what they did..I wouldn't want that guy in my organization. .He should have went to prison for that in my opinion...