Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm STILL seeing AFC South nonense

DalTXColtsFan

It was certainly not the only reason but if we are honest to ourselves we can't deny the weakness of the division. Don't look further than the W-L records of these teams over that time span. I rekon that only some more trips to the AFC champ game and maybe even to the SB would silence these critics.

On 10/4/2016 at 2:21 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Just look at our record against them and against the rest of the league. Basicaalt gave us a free ride to the playoffs. 

No ones saying it's the only reason, but it is the biggest. 

"A free ride to the playoffs"?  Ridiculous, and exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to eliminate among Colts fans.  

Did the 2012 13-3 Broncos get a free ride to the playoffs because they had 2 games each against 7-9 San Diego, 4-12 Oakland and 2-14 Kansas City?  How about the 2012 Patriots who played 7-9 Miami, 6-10 Buffalo and 6-10 NYJ?  The 2012 Colts had victories over 12-4 Houston, 11-5 Green Bay and 10-6 Minnesota.  The four games against Jax and Tenn were the free ride to the playoffs?

In 2013 our free ride to the playoffs was Hou, Tenn and Jax?  Our victories over 3 of the 4 eventual championship game participants plus beating playoff-bound KC 23 to 7 in their own house had nothing to do with it?

In 2014 our free ride to the playoffs was 2 games against a 9-7 Houston team that beat playoff-bound Baltimore in their own house and darned near got a wild card?  Our victories over playoff-bound Cincinnati and Baltimore had nothing to do with it?  Did Pittsburgh get a free ride to the playoffs that year because THE COLTS WERE THE BEST TEAM THEY HAD TO PLAY AGAINST ALL YEAR and they got to play the NFC South plus 2 games against Cleveland plus games against Tennesee and Jacksonville?  The 2014 Colts would have gone 14-2 AT WORST with Pittsburgh's schedule.

Please, please, please, consider ALL OF THE FACTS and THINK FOR YOURSELF - don't let the media tell you what to believe.

27 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

"A free ride to the playoffs"?  Ridiculous, and exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to eliminate among Colts fans.  

Did the 2012 13-3 Broncos get a free ride to the playoffs because they had 2 games each against 7-9 San Diego, 4-12 Oakland and 2-14 Kansas City?  How about the 2012 Patriots who played 7-9 Miami, 6-10 Buffalo and 6-10 NYJ?  The 2012 Colts had victories over 12-4 Houston, 11-5 Green Bay and 10-6 Minnesota.  The four games against Jax and Tenn were the free ride to the playoffs?

In 2013 our free ride to the playoffs was Hou, Tenn and Jax?  Our victories over 3 of the 4 eventual championship game participants plus beating playoff-bound KC 23 to 7 in their own house had nothing to do with it?

In 2014 our free ride to the playoffs was 2 games against a 9-7 Houston team that beat playoff-bound Baltimore in their own house and darned near got a wild card?  Our victories over playoff-bound Cincinnati and Baltimore had nothing to do with it?  Did Pittsburgh get a free ride to the playoffs that year because THE COLTS WERE THE BEST TEAM THEY HAD TO PLAY AGAINST ALL YEAR and they got to play the NFC South plus 2 games against Cleveland plus games against Tennesee and Jacksonville?  The 2014 Colts would have gone 14-2 AT WORST with Pittsburgh's schedule.

Please, please, please, consider ALL OF THE FACTS and THINK FOR YOURSELF - don't let the media tell you what to believe.

I think you need to calm yourself down there, friendo.  If you're going to quote me then quote all of my sentence. "Basically gave us a free ride to the playoffs" 

"Basically" we get 6 easy peasy wins every year (or at least we used to) and since in this division 8-9 wins is enough for a playoff spot, Id say that 6 of 9 necessary wins coming from weak opponents is a gift. 

I also dont give a damn about other teams you mentioned because I'm a Colts fan. I don't listen to the media, I form my own opinions based on facts. They just happen to be different from yours. 

The AFC South members have been amongst the very worst teams in the NFL between the dates you give.  In the 2012 draft South teams picked 1st and 5th, 2013 2nd and 10th, 2014 1st, 3rd, 11th, 2015 2nd and 3rd, and last year 5th and 8th overall.  The Jags alone in that time frame have picked 5th overall (2012), 2nd overall (2013), 3rd overall (2014), 3rd overall (2015), and 5th overall in 2016.  That's a track record of ineptitude.  This, as an aside, is why all this chatter about how well the Jags are doing falls on deaf ears with me - of course they look good on paper, look at the number of top ten draft picks they've had since 2008! They've had a top 10 pick for a decade straight, literally, save 2007 (21st).  That's historically bad territory.  Oh and 1-3 so far, so on track to keep their record going. 

But back on point...  @Dustin explained this multiple times in 2015 on this board too.  Look at the Colts record outside the South.  Your own second source you use as proof has the Colts record outside the South just a couple responses down the thread.  And there are many other posts updating the record outside the South too. 

Is the quality of the South the direct cause, or only cause, of the Colts success?  No, it makes up only 6 of 16 games a year.  That said, it sure doesn't hurt when the those six games are against inferior teams.  Simply put, it elevated the record of the Colts, and is now doing the same for the Texans.  

Oh, and the worst record in all of football today is, yep, the AFC South. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

All of this is old news. What does it have to do with anything at this point?

It unnecessarily diminishes the excellent success this team had from 2012 to 2014, especially in light of our disappointing 2015 and our slow start to 2016.  "They were never really good" is easy to say but it's wrong.  The 2012 Colts played out of their minds and exceeded everybody's expectations.  The 2013 and 2014 Colts were one of the best teams in the league.

45 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Had the colts played any of the schedules you mentioned we would have made the playoffs unless we hobbled in as a wild card 

can't make those comparisons.   We have never had a defense like the Donkies and we don't have a coach like Belocheat

4 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

It unnecessarily diminishes the excellent success this team had from 2012 to 2014, especially in light of our disappointing 2015 and our slow start to 2016.  "They were never really good" is easy to say but it's wrong.  The 2012 Colts played out of their minds and exceeded everybody's expectations.  The 2013 and 2014 Colts were one of the best teams in the league.

You pay too much attention to the media. It is their job to never stop looking for subjects that keep fans in an uproar.

On October 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM, DalTXColtsFan said:

People,

I don't care what the media says or what fans of other teams say.  But we CANNOT have COLTS FANS saying the only reason the Colts made the playoffs from 2012 to 2014 is because they played in the weak AFC South.  It is NONSENSE.

I think we're certainly the worst, if not one of the worst. The Houston Texans in their wildcard round against the Chiefs put up 0 pts... at home. Meanwhile, they couldn't score a single point against the Patriots this season. It took them until the 4th Q just to run a play in New England territory.

The Titans are a dysfunctional mess with all their ownership and coaching carousel changes.

The Jaguars started 0-3 and only beat us because we beat ourselves.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, DalTXColtsFan said:

The fact is, Andrew Luck has a losing record as an NFL qb outside of the AFC South.

People are free to think whatever they wish, that's the great thing about this country.

But, if you think playing in the south hasn't been a positive for us since its inception, I don't know what to tell you.

This division has been hot garbage for a while.

I'd say at least 2 of the south teams would be consistently in last place if you shipped them to other divisions.

It is what it is, we have no choice of our division, but for 'older'ish'-timers' like myself, I'd kill to be back in the old AFC East days. The 00's sure as heck would have been interesting with Peyton and Brady in the same division.

Our weaker divisional competition doesn't help us in the bigger scheme of things.

Things are cyclical.  You will have periods where each division is pretty strong and then have lulls like the South is having where it's not very strong.  It happens to every division, some lulls are longer than others, so I don't understand the criticism of the AFC South really in the grand scheme.

1 hour ago, Hi-Tek said:

The fact is, Andrew Luck has a losing record as an NFL qb outside of the AFC South.

As of now Andrew Luck is 17-3 in starts vs the AFC South and is 22-23 outside of the Division = 39-26 Regular Season/Playoffs combined. His 0-5 record vs the Patriots is a big part of the reason he is below .500 outside of the Division (that should be noted as we have had no answer for them). He's only 1 game below .500 so it's not like he has sucked outside of the Division. He does still have 3 wins over Denver, 2 over KC, 2 over Cincy, 1 over Green Bay, 1 over Baltimore, and he best Russell Wilson in their only meeting. So we have had plenty of signature wins outside of the Division to show me he can win games other than Division games. Playing in the South has helped us but shouldn't diminish a lot of good accomplishments the team has had. Your QB and team is Good, if not Very Good when you make a Title Game and that is the bottomline.