Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Colts draft needs

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

Not an important position??? Please look at our rbs and reevaluate that comment. We're about to play the Broncos. But running back is not an important position...I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pass the ball at all. Look what Gurley did as a rookie on a team where he's their entire offense...and no one can stop him. Now picture Cook, Chubb or Fournette in our offense....

All of a sudden CJ Anderson is a great running back?  Or is Gary Kubiak running a great scheme with an improved offensive line?

if you want to run the ball effectively the offensive line is far more important than the RB.

No one can stop Gurley?  Don't tell the 49ers that.  And really, after his fast start last season, he wasn't that impressive the remainder of the season.....only went over 100 yards once in the final 8 games.

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

So you don't believe in positional value?  There is a reason left tackles go top 3 and guards don't.

I do believe in positional value but you take it too far. You have to look at the players and grade them on many things. Positional value, production, scheme fit, upside, off field issues, etc.  

So when I look at Dalvin Cook I see a guy who is one of the best players in this draft by a significant margin. The only defender that's close is Myles Garrett. That's why I'd take Cook every time. 

18 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I do believe in positional value but you take it too far. You have to look at the players and grade them on many things. Positional value, production, scheme fit, upside, off field issues, etc.  

So when I look at Dalvin Cook I see a guy who is one of the best players in this draft by a significant margin. The only defender that's close is Myles Garrett. That's why I'd take Cook every time. 

He was pretty awesome yesterday.  I kid.

if you have an elite QB, the best bet for long term success and championships is to win in the trenches...NOT eye candy positions like running back and wide receiver.  But I'm sure plenty of people disagree.

34 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He was pretty awesome yesterday.  I kid.

if you have an elite QB, the best bet for long term success and championships is to win in the trenches...NOT eye candy positions like running back and wide receiver.  But I'm sure plenty of people disagree.

I agree that's why I hated the Dorsett pick not cause he's bad but cause he was a luxury pick and was flashybrid. I'd rather have linebackers and linemen not to mention you can find talent at WR later in the draft hell our top 2 WRs are 3rd rounders. 

Sure I like fournette a lot love watching him play but I couldn't take a RB that early. would I love to have him on the colts? Sure, but not over a great pass rusher or Defensive or offensive linemen.

we should go all out to get the best RT available in free agency depending who it is of course. then we should go all out on defense in the draft besides round 2 or 3 pick a rb.. depending who will drop you could go either round. so we can get a proven RT and have our future RB and some good defense of players we picked. that's what I think.. and we could also pick some other good players on defense too in free agency if we wanted too

33 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

we should go all out to get the best RT available in free agency depending who it is of course. then we should go all out on defense in the draft besides round 2 or 3 pick a rb.. depending who will drop you could go either round. so we can get a proven RT and have our future RB and some good defense of players we picked. that's what I think.. and we could also pick some other good players on defense too in free agency if we wanted too

If we sign a higher price free agent it should be a CB. RT was addressed in the draft last year as either Haeg, Good, or Clark could all be the long term solution there. Indy needs to focus on defense and getting a franchise RB next offseason. 

I'm looking at next year's draft, and I don't see any exiting nose tackles.  There are none in free agency as well.  Are we running a 1 gap 3-4 because we want to, or because we have to?  Instead of Jarron Reed in the second, we take a safety.  Why?  I've heard several people mention Jason Spriggs at the 2nd too.  I think that is an excellent question why we didn't go there.  Next year I don't see any Kenny Clarks, Vernon Butlers, or Jarran Reeds.  We are stuck in the 1-gap, was that on purpose?

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pass Rushers and a RB

I would swap out RB for CB. Neither Robinson or Cromartie are long-term solutions at CB, and Vontae will be 29 on opening day next year. We need to invest in a stud CB early in the draft and let that person develop in the #2 slot while Vontae has a couple elite years left. We can find a RB in round 3-4 that can split the load with Turbin next year.

I will wait until Thursday from now on before I post PFF grades so they have time to adjust them.  They have updated the grades since Monday and here they are for offensive side of ball.

Castonzo           74.2

Mewhort             77.1

Kelly                   74.0

Good                  47.9

Reitz                  48.3

Rogers               51.7

Dorsett               70.5

Hilton                  74.4

Gore                   53.5

Luck                   87.9