Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That last time out (Pagano Clock Management)... {[Merge]}

threeflight

Yeah it doesn't help that Mike & Mike on ESPN just referenced it as the dumbest timeout likely of the entire season, paraphrasing.

I don't know if I would go that far but it was certainly questionable in that situation from my perspective.  Of course I know some disagree.  I don't have a problem with the timeout so much as why not run the play clock down THEN take it?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

There is no point in bringing logic into this discussion.

I know but I try.  I cannot lower my standards just because the majority of the board is wrong.

The only difference between the Colts TO and the three games I referenced is the Colts D didn't hold after.  The Denver D didn't either (well they did but the refs tried to help Carolina) but the guy missed the FG.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

that lead to the second thing he said today that bothered me.  He was asked about the running game and if trying it early might be leading to the slow starts and he said we will be a power running team until they run me out of here.  My first response was wait but your not a power running team, you want to be one but you aren't one. Then I kinda looked at it and thought sometimes I think Chuck sees things as he wants them to be not what they really are.  

His timeout comment doesn't bother because he did the exact same thing that every coach in the league would do and what several of them did do in almost that exact same situation.

But this paragraph is why I don't like Pagano as a head coach.  The NFL is no longer an establish the run/stop the run league.  And the fact that he thinks it still is shows me he is living in the past and doesn't really pay attention to the league.

It's a passing/stopping the pass league.  On O, you use the passing game to open up the running game, on D you set up to defend the pass and rely on the D to stop the run as they are going after the QB/covering their routes.  And because of the type of players you need to cover the pass, they are too fast to rely on a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offense.  The sooner Pagano realizes that the sooner the Colts can get away from the slow starts.

I think people are forgetting that with the Moncrief review the clock was momentarily stopped. It began once Luck was on the line. He was the one that ultimately put the play into motion. He may have been told to snap quickly by Pagano, saw something he wanted to move on quickly, or just didn't think about it. Either way for everyone calling this a bad play, they're not giving Luck any grief. I wouldn't give either grief over it.

On 9/11/2016 at 7:50 PM, threeflight said:

1:15 left.  You DO NOT NEED to call timeout there.  Why let a Lions offense that has been killing a hurt Colts Defense all day have another shot?  Either win it at the end or not  But do not leave them any time to drive down the field for a winning FG?

He is just not a smart coach.  Never has been.  A Harbaugh or a Bellichick is always thinking AHEAD.  Pagano panics and never thinks at all.

Serious.  People can poo poo this all they want, but that single time out saved the lions 35 seconds, and the game.

For that alone he needs to be fired. 

As bad as that was & it sucked bigtime whats worse was he said he would do it again that in its self really P's me off .I just don't get it why ...:dunno: