Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That last time out (Pagano Clock Management)... {[Merge]}

threeflight

1:15 left.  You DO NOT NEED to call timeout there.  Why let a Lions offense that has been killing a hurt Colts Defense all day have another shot?  Either win it at the end or not  But do not leave them any time to drive down the field for a winning FG?

He is just not a smart coach.  Never has been.  A Harbaugh or a Bellichick is always thinking AHEAD.  Pagano panics and never thinks at all.

Serious.  People can poo poo this all they want, but that single time out saved the lions 35 seconds, and the game.

For that alone he needs to be fired. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

1:15 left.  You DO NOT NEED to call timeout there.  Why let a Lions offense that has been killing a hurt Colts Defense all day have another shot?  Either win it at the end or not  But do not leave them any time to drive down the field for a winning FG?

He is just not a smart coach.  Never has been.  A Harbaugh or a Bellichick is always thinking AHEAD.  Pagano panics and never thinks at all.

Serious.  People can poo poo this all they want, but that single time out saved the lions 35 seconds, and the game.

For that alone he needs to be fired. 

He hasn't got a clue ...

I might be in the minority here, but I don't hate taking the timeout.  The clock is running and I think it was 3rd down.  You take the time out to regroup and make sure everyone is on the same page.  If there is even one mistake, it's 4th down with even less time on the clock.  It just gives you some breathing room.  Not the worst decision of the day, in my opinion

Our coaches blew this one!!!  When we had the ball on our last drive they should have told Luck not to hike until there was 20 seconds left on the touchdown to Jack.  Hell we called a timeout with 1:15 left for some reason instead of letting the clock run and then calling a timeout.  These coaches make too much money for this nonsense to happen.   Besides that I'm pleased with the way we played in the second half considering all of the injuries we have.

Luck cannot "run"  off time he has to score to win the game. The coach however does not have to call a timeout to save Detroit the game. The good news is that if we can get a new coach next year and some more defensive players we can be better good in the future but not with the current staff.

I am simply amazed that this guy is a head coach.  Nice guy.  Terrible football coach.

When I, you, and most everyone in the football world knows NOT TO let the Lions have the ball again, and yet you call a time out with 1:15 left?  Not 45 seconds.  Not 30 seconds.  Not 15 seconds.   Not 1 second.

75 seconds?     It was such an easy call to make and yet he blew it.

FIRE HIM.  NOW.    

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I might be in the minority here, but I don't hate taking the timeout.  The clock is running and I think it was 3rd down.  You take the time out to regroup and make sure everyone is on the same page.  If there is even one mistake, it's 4th down with even less time on the clock.  It just gives you some breathing room.  Not the worst decision of the day, in my opinion

It was 2nd down.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

That decision literally cost us the game. This man is completely in over his head. He shouldn't be in charge of clock management.

No, it did not.  A horrible start to the first half, tons of injuries, and bad execution.  That one timeout did not cost us the game today.  The Lions had 3 timeouts of their own, so they could have controlled the clock to their liking even if we didn't call the timeout

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not in the minority. You take the timeout, lay out the strategy for when you get the first down in case you are in bounds. Clearly a lot of armchair coaches with very little football experience.

2 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

And Luck didn't run any time off with 46 seconds left. Why not let the play clock run. 2 really stupid plays.

Yep this too.  I said it in the game thread.  

Luck could have run off 30 seconds after the review..  Instead he hikes the ball after 2 seconds run off the clock.

You seriously have to wonder who these guys are, and who is coaching them?  I mean it makes NO SENSE.

Manniing would have run off the clock.

2 minutes ago, Solon said:

The defense allowed the Lions to go 60 yards downfield to win the game. Has nothing to do with Chuck's management.

They wouldn't have been able to if there wasn't any time on the clock which would have been the case has we had a competent HC.

Just now, Dustin said:

It was 2nd down.

Even with that, I don't hate the call.  Get everyone on the same page because you're near the goal line and you don't have much to work with.  Reiterate to the receivers to get out of bounds if they catch it, emphasize to Luck to either make a safe throw or throw it out of bounds and not risk it.  I don't hate the decision to take a  time out in that situation

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If you want to do that, you run down the clock 30 seconds first THEN take the time out.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Was the timeout questionable sure but the defense still let them go from the 25 yard line, all the way down the field with ease. This is on them 

3 minutes ago, Solon said:

The defense allowed the Lions to go 60 yards downfield to win the game. Has nothing to do with Chuck's management.

The point is I, you, the entire world knew the D would let them drive 60 yards down the field. 

You simply do not give the Lions the opportunity to do so.  That is smart, WINNING football.

1 minute ago, Camio said:

Pagano and Caldwell, 2 HCs the Colts have had who dont have a single clue how clock management works. This reminded me of the TO vs the Jets in the playoffs several years ago.

Literally nothing comparable in those two situations.   The rage should be against the defense.   I know we're depleted in the secondary,   But damn