Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give Ray Rice a chance?

GAColtsFan

On 8/4/2016 at 2:57 PM, will426 said:

He was injured before the incident and I'm sure he's learned his damn lesson from what we all know this was the only occasion he's done something so I can't judge him any further than that incident...but for football references he was a great back and could catch/block with good vision 

Aww the amount of naive in this post is just too cute. "For all we know this was the only occasion..."  lol. Yeah, the first and only time rice ever beat his woman was in a public hotel filled with security cameras. Yep, that's typical of a first time offender. :P

I speed pretty much all the time when I'm driving.  However, my very first time speeding was not in the middle of downtown with a bunch of cops pointing their radar in my general direction. No shoplifters ever got their start at a macys. They started at some little mom and pop store where mom and pop have no idea what "surveillance" means. So yeah, the very first time rice beat a woman was NOT in a ritzy public hotel filled with security cameras. That's the action of someone who's done this enough times to be emboldened to not be afraid to do it in such a public place.

On 8/4/2016 at 3:02 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

The fact that he's been supporting causes to stop domestic violence and that he's outright said he'd donate his paycheck to charities/causes to stop domestic violence, to me, means...

The only thing those things mean to me is that rice obviously has decently competent PR reps on staff.

15 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

The moment the elevator video of the KO became public, Ray Rice the NFL player died. I'm not trying to be over dramatic, but you cannot come back after such a horrific image. Certain circumstances prohibit people from getting a second chance. How could Grigson, or any boss for that matter, ever explain to his wife, daughter, or mother why he hired this guy

It happens quite a bit. Former convicts who have arguably done even worse and pre-meditated it get second chances once out of prison. Rice made a snap judgement because she jumped in his face. It isn't right what he did but somehow she is escaping being held accountable because she actually was the one that came at him before he hit her. Anyway we look at it they both appear drunk. There is also a video of what went on AFTER the hit  but I haven't watched all of it http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/full-video-ray-rice-video-shows-couple-cuffs-27727872

I'd give him a try out. First time offender though a serious crime I think he should get another chance. If he was a repeat offender or was Greg Hardy I'd pass and would not think about it but I think Hardy truly is scum and Rice made a terrible decision while drunk or at least buzzed. It doesn't make it right but its not uncommon for a man to lose his cool once and hit a woman and learn from his mistake. I think you have to separate Rices situation from a person that is truly abusive and doesn't have to be under the influence of alcohol. Again not right what he did but people actually are capable of learning from his poor snap judgement

On 8/4/2016 at 3:35 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

I would quit being a fan of the Colts if they signed Ray Rice.  There are a lot of things more important than a game of football and this is one of them.

I wouldn't go that far, but I would hate it. Imagine the terrible PR the colts would get, I'm a guy that could care less about PR but we would be hammered day in and day out for signing him. Plus he wasn't even that good his last year or 2 with the Ravens. Just not worth it.

9 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Aww the amount of naive in this post is just too cute. "For all we know this was the only occasion..."  lol. Yeah, the first and only time rice ever beat his woman was in a public hotel filled with security cameras. Yep, that's typical of a first time offender. :P

I speed pretty much all the time when I'm driving.  However, my very first time speeding was not in the middle of downtown with a bunch of cops pointing their radar in my general direction. No shoplifters ever got their start at a macys. They started at some little mom and pop store where mom and pop have no idea what "surveillance" means. So yeah, the very first time rice beat a woman was NOT in a ritzy public hotel filled with security cameras. That's the action of someone who's done this enough times to be emboldened to not be afraid to do it in such a public place.

This.

Theres no telling how many times Ray Rice hit her like that when cameras weren't around. The guy is total scum, no thanks. 

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

It happens quite a bit. Former convicts who have arguably done even worse and pre-meditated it get second chances once out of prison. Rice made a snap judgement because she jumped in his face. It isn't right what he did but somehow she is escaping being held accountable because she actually was the one that came at him before he hit her. Anyway we look at it they both appear drunk. There is also a video of what went on AFTER the hit  but I haven't watched all of it http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/full-video-ray-rice-video-shows-couple-cuffs-27727872

Her getting in his face justifies him cold cocking her? Cmon Gavin. As hard as he hit her and her head hitting the railing, shes lucky she didn't get killed. I've had arguments with past girlfriends and some even got in my face, but I didn't punch them. Thats not a good enough excuse. 

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I would hate it. Imagine the terrible PR the colts would get, I'm a guy that could care less about PR but we would be hammered day in and day out for signing him. Plus he wasn't even that good his last year or 2 with the Ravens. Just not worth it.

Rice played most of 2013 with a hip injury. I also think that the PR nightmare phase has came and gone. I think its time people get over what happened really. It was bad of course. Nobody in there right mind would say it wasn't bad but he served his time. Showed remorse. Nobody can tell me no man on this forum never hit a woman. I hit my sister when I was 18-19 years old suffered the consequences and got the cops called on me by my own mom. I learned my lesson and learned to channel anger in different ways

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Her getting in his face justifies him cold cocking her? Cmon Gavin. As hard as he hit her and her head hitting the railing, shes lucky she didn't get killed. I've had arguments with past girlfriends and some even got in my face, but I didn't punch them. Thats not a good enough excuse. 

What part of what I said suggests it was justifiable to hit her? It wasn't but its the reason. Lucky she didn't get killed? I think your being a little over dramatic. They were both drunk and arguing. he said something to her.....Though I kind of actually wonder if he spit at her looking at the video but she came at him and he reacted in a bad way. He isn't the first man to do that nor will he be the last. Now if he was abusive or a repeat offender then obviously he has no place in the league but they were both drunk in a heated argument from the looks of it. she came at him after he said something(and possibly spit at her) and he reflexively swung. It clearly wasn't pre planned or what he planned to do. Emotions were high and with alcohol involved he lashed out in a terrible way. I just think if he had been in trouble for that before then you kick him out of the league

Domestic Violence is very bad but not on the level of Murder, Rape, abusing children, or beating up an elderly person that cant defend themselves. It's probably right behind those things having said that, along with abusing animals like Dogs and Cats. I think what Adrian Peterson did was worse than what Ray Rice did actually after seeing pictures of his kid being beaten like that. A kid cant defend themselves and has no where to turn for help but yet most people seem perfectly fine with Peterson playing. I have never laid my hands on a woman in a violent nature as I don't believe in it. It makes me cringe thinking about stuff like that but I often wonder what I would do if a woman came at me with a knife/weapon in a hypothetical situation?? Who knows what any man would do in a situation like that? By the way Ronda Rousey is a woman and she could knock out any average guy in here and most people wouldn't even care or talk about that if it happened.

On 5 August 2016 at 7:43 PM, akcolt said:

I agree on Rice why bother he was on the decline before the punch. 

Cook will ill go in the top 10 barring injury We won't have a shot at him. I think he will be the best RB in this class. We should be able to Chubb Freeman Perine day 2. I would be very happy with Chubb or Freeman 

I think Cook has a shot of not going as high that just due to the sheer amount of RBs out there this year. If Fournette returns to form and stays healthy I can see him being the no.1 back. I can definitely see 4 RBs going round 1 though

Id be happy with Chubb. Freeman worries me a little. Oregon RBs have a habit of not transferring to the NFL too well, especially recently (LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner)

On 8/4/2016 at 2:51 PM, FL Colts Fan said:

I can't stand Men that hit Women. Domestic violence sucks and who knows when a guilty party is clear from committing domestic violence again. Call me crazy, even though I don't think I am, but I would like for the Colts to bring in Ray Rice to compete for a backup RB position. He could produce a good 1-2 punch ( no pun intended ) in the Colts backfield. If anyone has ever paid their dues I think it is him and he said he would donate his salary to charity. If not now, maybe once the regular season has started. What do you think ?  Nothing to lose. 

I think I'd rather lose football games than bring in a woman beater, or frankly anyone who assaults men, women or children.   It would be one thing if there was doubt or disagreement on what happened, but in this case it is cut and dry.  Perhaps if he'd served a prison sentence and then came out afterwards you could say he met his punishment for his actions but as far as I know he didn't go to jail.   Sure, he lost his NFL career, whatever was left of it, but who wouldn't lose their job for that kind of an assault?  He got off pretty light all things considered.  If not for that camera, he'd likely have completely avoided any ramifications for his actions.  I sure hope our team doesn't lower itself just to try and win a football game.  

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

I think Cook has a shot of not going as high that just due to the sheer amount of RBs out there this year. If Fournette returns to form and stays healthy I can see him being the no.1 back. I can definitely see 4 RBs going round 1 though

Id be happy with Chubb. Freeman worries me a little. Oregon RBs have a habit of not transferring to the NFL too well, especially recently (LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner)

Cook will be the 2nd back off the board right after Fournette. I don't see us being close to either of those guys. The only way we see Cook is if he's injured this year or the 6-10 forecasts are correct. I don't want to see either  I think we go D early and often in 2017. 

I wouldn't mind if we went D the first 2 days. We know that DQ Cole and Mathis aren't going to give us much more. All 3 could be gone next yr. Then Walden is 31 and Langford is 30. I'm not against a RB but you won't ever here me complain about adding to the D. 

As for Freeman if you look at the RB's that have come out of Oregon in the recent past like the guys you named James, Barner, and Thomas. Freeman has something that sets him a part. It's 30-40lbs. I don't think anyone looked at those backs and thought 3 down NFL RB. You have to go back about 10 years to find a Duck that Freeman compares to in Jonathan Stewart.

Freeman will be the best pro RB to come out of the Pac 10 this year. He's 5'11" 235 runs a 4.47 40. He can catch the ball. He's the real deal excellent vision and balance very good speed for a guy his size. He'd be a steal in the 3rd. I think there will be some very good RB's that go late day 2 and into day 3. 

If there is a school you should worry about taking a RB look at Wisconsin. You could point to the entire Big 10 conference really. 

On 8/4/2016 at 3:35 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

I would quit being a fan of the Colts if they signed Ray Rice.  There are a lot of things more important than a game of football and this is one of them.

1,000% agree. Now tell that to Tom Brady and the Patriot fans.