Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay To Make Decision On Head Coach By End Of Next Week

bap1331

Or hows if...

Tressel becomes coach and we lose every game? Will all the Tressel lovers eat crow?

I have to be honest, I haven't read everything with the people supporting Tressel as our next head coach. I am sure there are a lot of Ohio State fans who are also Colts fans and I could see why they would want this to happen. I like Tom Clements and believe he could do a great job as an offensive coordinator or even head coach, but that doesn't mean I should eat crow if I am wrong.

Tressel, in my opinion is valuable as a position coach.

Or hows if...

Tressel becomes coach and we lose every game? Will all the Tressel lovers eat crow?

OR if the team starts bringing in thugs that are in trouble with the law every other month? I guess we could can count on Tressel to cover it up so it never hits the media? What else did he cover up over the years?

Tressel "lovers"??? Nobody said they love him. But, some people are acting like they're going to jump off a bridge if he's hired, though.

Maybe not jumping off a bridge? But I really do take it serious when it comes to the Colts.

And if they name Tressel (or any other bum for that matter) as head coach, I will be greatly disappointed!

But I really do take it serious when it comes to the Colts.

I can't speak for everyone but I am sure we all take the Colts seriously or we wouldn't even be here.

I do understand what you're saying. I was mad as could be when we traded Faulk. But hey, it is what it is. The powers that be will have to do what they think is correct.

I haven't read every post, but that is kind of what I was seeing as well.

Well one thing we agree on is that there is obvoiusly a great diference of opinion on Tressel among the fans.

Is it the right move, for Irsay to hire such a polarizing person as head coach?

Jim, If Manning can't play then hire him as your head coach...If he can play then let him play and train Luck. They would be no one better to learn from then Manning. Then in the next couple of year he will retire and you can hire him as the QB Coach. :coltshelmet:

Well one thing we agree on is that there is obvoiusly a great diference of opinion on Tressel among the fans.

Is it the right move, for Irsay to hire such a polarizing person as head coach?

Please don't get me wrong. I do understand what you're saying. I just think Tressel could be very valuable as a position coach for us.

If he is the next head coach, which I doubt (I have no way of knowing) then I guess we would just go with it.

For one thing Tressel is very conservative.

I'll admit, I don't know much about Tressel's coaching style. I'll take you for your word that he is conservative. However, I also wouldn't want a HC that is extremely aggresive either. A coach that is too conservative won't take risks when he needs to, but a coach that is too aggresive might too many risks.

http://profootballta...ys-man-in-indy/

Dungy think's Tressel is the guy.. Dungy is really digging this media stuff.

I mean I'll take what Dungy says with a grain of salt since he also said he believed Caldwell's job was safe at the end of the year so we'll see. But I personally like Tressel and really don't see anyone else out there that is more qualified.

One of the big complaints about Caldwell was his only meaningful HC experience was at Wake Forest and his record was not that good.

Tressel, if nothing else, is a winner. Unlike some, I don't sweat what he did at Ohio State too much. We are talking *ic NCAA rules- the most conveluted, stupid set of rules ever created for managing a sport. That he tried to help his players, when as college students, they >>>ed up- is not a crime. He is known as a great game planner and game manager- something we have sorely missed these last few years. He is also a players coach, something that we have had around here for a while and I think that plays in his favor with Irsay in particular.

If he is hired, I would not be terribly surprised. It would be interesting to see what kind of staff he could compile. If he is hired, would like to see him get strong OC & DC's who know NFL football rather than college coaches. If he's not hired- won't be surprised if he sticks around here in one capacity or another.

Really just don't want to see them take a flyer on some assistant with no proven leadership ability. One of the reasons I liked Grigson's comment about leadership. You don't have to have a screamer on the sidelines, but you do have to have someone who can be respected and creates a positive atmosphere to win games.

One of the big complaints about Caldwell was his only meaningful HC experience was at Wake Forest and his record was not that good.

Tressel, if nothing else, is a winner. Unlike some, I don't sweat what he did at Ohio State too much. We are talking *ic NCAA rules- the most conveluted, stupid set of rules ever created for managing a sport. That he tried to help his players, when as college students, they >>>ed up- is not a crime. He is known as a great game planner and game manager- something we have sorely missed these last few years. He is also a players coach, something that we have had around here for a while and I think that plays in his favor with Irsay in particular.

If he is hired, I would not be terribly surprised. It would be interesting to see what kind of staff he could compile. If he is hired, would like to see him get strong OC & DC's who know NFL football rather than college coaches. If he's not hired- won't be surprised if he sticks around here in one capacity or another.

Really just don't want to see them take a flyer on some assistant with no proven leadership ability. One of the reasons I liked Grigson's comment about leadership. You don't have to have a screamer on the sidelines, but you do have to have someone who can be respected and creates a positive atmosphere to win games.

You are making a strong case. I can't disagree with any of that.

Maybe not jumping off a bridge? But I really do take it serious when it comes to the Colts.

And if they name Tressel (or any other bum for that matter) as head coach, I will be greatly disappointed!

My brother-in-law is a OSU grad. And his belief is that not only does Tressel run a VERY conservative system, and in is opinion is not a very good guy, covering up many things,some that would land alot of us in trouble with the law.Again just the opinion of a grad and life long Columbus resident.

Hahahaha, gimme a break.

What? I would be seriously surprised if we hired him as HC - he does have a undeniable history of questionable ethics.

I don't sweat what he did at Ohio State too much. We are talking *ic NCAA rules- the most conveluted, stupid set of rules ever created for managing a sport.

Rules are rules and when you break them thats an issue with ethics and morals - no ifs ands or buts! I do agree its stupid, but his willingness to help cover up these issues is what really strikes me as concerning!

I agree. I don't see how anyone could say that Tressel woudn't be an upgrade over Caldwell. Zimmer or Tressel, I know FO will make the correct call. It's obvious to me that Grigson isn't going to settle, or give any one person bias over another. They will go off the merits of their interviews and take into consideration their football pasts. They will pick the best coaching candidate for our organization and we will just have to wait and see how it turns out. I know that my opinion on our new head coach will be as unbiased as possible, and I will let his coaching do the talking.

I want Mike Zimmer as much as the next person, BUT seriously, does anyone really have a good reason to hate on Tressel?

He lied for his players... they were getting tattoos for their memorabilia... that's it?!

Seriously, unless I am missing something, if you can write off a winning coach so quickly because of that, something is wrong.

The fact that he lied for his players' wrong doing says something about him..to me....

Lets get a pro coach.

The fact that he lied for his players' wrong doing says something about him..to me....

Lets get a pro coach.

To me that says he's a players coach because he was trying to cover up for some dumb kids mistakes when he had National Championship implications to worry about every season.

To me that says he's a players coach because he was trying to cover up for some dumb kids mistakes when he had National Championship implications to worry about every season.

To me it shows a pattern of poor decisions and judgement. Bad ethics are bad ethics. He had similar issues at Youngstown state. I believe that Jim Irsay is a quality guy and is going to get a name coach, he did not get rid of JC to bring another guy in who needs to learn on the job.

To me it shows a pattern of poor decisions and judgement. Bad ethics are bad ethics. He had similar issues at Youngstown state. I believe that Jim Irsay is a quality guy and is going to get a name coach, he did not get rid of JC to bring another guy in who needs to learn on the job.

He doesn't need to learn to coach like Caldwell did. He knows when to call a timeout and when not to. And no, poor ethics is not universal. What happened at Penn State is not the same thing that happened as USC and what happened at USC is not the same thing that happened at Ohio State. Stop putting everyone under the same unbrella of Ethics because if you do that, you'd have to put the whole entire NCAA system under it, which is one huge ethic flaw in itself..and if you need me to elaborate on that then I suggest you do some of your own research and have it become apparent for yourself.

I want Bill Cowher ,he would lead us back to the top quickly.As the next head coach of the Colts this is not a hard sell at all most wins in the last decade 3 AFC Championship games 2 AFC titles 1 World Championship this is a winning franchise in the highest degree.He would get Peyton's last years than luck's whole career Freeney mathis Bethea Angerer and possibly end of reggie's career too I am going under the asumption that the greatest of all time will be back and so will the monster known as Robert Mathis it would be sweet to keep reggie too but I don't see it. So what's the holdup Bill sign the contract already.Go Colts

18 to 88 Forever whooooooooooooooo