Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scooby Wright III -- LB Arizona

Not sure how many people follow Derek Jeter's site, The Players' Tribune -- but he is doing a cool thing where college players write their application letter to the NFL.

I just read Scooby Wright's and watched some film on him -- I sure hope he's on our radar if he falls to rounds 4 or 5.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/scooby-wright-arizona-nfl-draft-cover-letter/

I believe Scooby Wright is a second round pick. I would be really surprised if he did not go on the second day.

@AndyColt

Pat Angerer was a pretty good player before the injuries. Nice guy too. It was fun talking about our new 3-4 defense with him. Too bad injuries kept him from shining in our 34 defense.

1 minute ago, AndyColt said:

I do not want a Lber that runs 4.90 in the 40 yard dash he is Slow.....

Signed, 

Chris Borland

I can't imagine why anyone would say they don't have any interest in him if they've seen him play. He's a steal anything past the 2nd. 

7 minutes ago, AndyColt said:

Why would we want an ILB who is always aware of the field, and gets after the ball carrier and the QB? I don't care what his 40 is. This cat is a three down ILB and he is playing on Sunday's.

1 minute ago, wig said:

Signed, 

Chris Borland

I can't imagine why anyone would say they don't have any interest in him if they've seen him play. He's a steal anything past the 2nd. 

The new obsession is with super speedy LBs who can cover but are suspect in the box. So guys like Wright are overlooked for guys like Deion Jones.

I would take him as high as the third round but no higher.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

When I did my mock I had us taking him in the second which may be a touch high but not too much. 

Don't care about his combine results, he looks an impact player on tape.

Not too high at all. If we want him then we have to take him at #48. He will be gone before we pick again. 

It would be a solid pick at 48.

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The new obsession is with super speedy LBs who can cover but are suspect in the box. So guys like Wright are overlooked for guys like Deion Jones.

Agreed. 

Andy's answer was obviously given by someone who has never watched any tape on Scooby Wright. That dude looked at his 40 and wrote Scooby off. I would pay good money to see the look on Andy's face as he watches a little film of Scooby now. That has to be embarrassing. 

Scooby should be the second ILB off the board. 

His athletic stats don't bother me. He improved to a 4.75ish on his pro day. And you can make up for athletic shortcomings with awareness and instincts. He has the instincts and savvy to be successful in this league. 

High character guy, very productive, elite blitzer. 

I doubt he drops to the 3rd but if he does we should seriously consider making that pick. I think he deserves to be a 2nd round pick, but when we pick I think there will be better players available that fill bigger needs.

49 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

His athletic stats don't bother me. He improved to a 4.75ish on his pro day. And you can make up for athletic shortcomings with awareness and instincts. He has the instincts and savvy to be successful in this league. 

I doubt he drops to the 3rd but if he does we should seriously consider making that pick. I think he deserves to be a 2nd round pick, but when we pick I think there will be better players available that fill bigger needs.

I echo those thoughts.

2 hours ago, AndyColt said:

You DO want a 4.9 LB if his reaction time is much faster than the guy who is running 4.6 or 4.7.    Lots of lesser athletes have played in the middle and succeeded due to smarts,  instincts,  film study,  hustle and desire.

And lots of much better athletes have failed inside because they're just good athletes and not much more.

Just some food for thought....

4 hours ago, AndyColt said:

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

If you read his article in The Players' Tribune, he says " Now I’m aware that you may not have been totally impressed by what you saw from me at the NFL Scouting Combine. I wasn’t impressed either. In my mind, I totally underperformed. But my main goal for the combine was to prove that I had recovered from the torn meniscus and sprained ankle I suffered last season. In that regard, I was successful and I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been."

As you say, UKColt -- he improved to a mid 4.7 forty in his pro-day.  The dude is recovering from a couple pretty serious injuries -- he should only get faster with NFL coaching/conditioning and should only continue to improve as he moves further away from injury.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

He looks slow on tape and he tested slow! Extremely slow even in college competition. I wouldn't draft him in the first 3 rounds.

How did he make all those tackles, tackles for loss, etc. if he is that slow. I think the tape is good. I pay attention to the combine, but the overall stats. and tape is more important.

He is a baller, plain and simple and will make a team better. Great attitude, just wants to win and improve.

Last and not least, Jerry Rice was slow, 4.6, which for a WR is slow. When he was on the field, when the ball was in his hands, all he did was run away from people. Football speed is different. Also Football IQ and intangibles make up for many things.

19 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

How did he make all those tackles, tackles for loss, etc. if he is that slow. I think the tape is good. I pay attention to the combine, but the overall stats. and tape is more important.

He is a baller, plain and simple and will make a team better. Great attitude, just wants to win and improve.

Last and not least, Jerry Rice was slow, 4.6, which for a WR is slow. When he was on the field, when the ball was in his hands, all he did was run away from people. Football speed is different. Also Football IQ and intangibles make up for many things.

I was very impressed with his strip sack to end the game vs. Oregon (a major upset) on Mariotta -- Mariotta, at the time, was one of the more mobile QBs in college football.  Mariotta is now one of the more mobile QBs in the NFL.  Bjoern Werner probably could not pull that move off, with a tackle on him, to save his life.  Scooby may not look to be very athletic on tape, but you don't make those kinds of plays (and looking at other tape, that's not the only time he made plays like that) without being an athlete.

Just now, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I was very impressed with his strip sack to end the game vs. Oregon (a major upset) on Mariotta -- Mariotta, at the time, was one of the more mobile QBs in college football.  Mariotta is now one of the more mobile QBs in the NFL.  Bjoern Werner probably could not pull that move off, with a tackle on him, to save his life.  Scooby may not look to be very athletic on tape, but you don't make those kinds of plays (and looking at other tape, that's not the only time he made plays like that) without being an athlete.

Fully agree, he is a good athlete, and as I said, football IQ determines a lot on the field. When tackling, the right angle when pursuing a player, can make a player who may not be as fleet of foot as a QB or RB still make the play because he understands the game. Scooby is one of those guys, and I believe he can be a 3 down player.

21 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Motor, anticipation, vision, football intelligence and extreme competitiveness. Those can alleviate some of the athleticism issues, but I think he will have serious problems at the next level. At some point the competition is just consistently faster, more elusive, the passing game and schemes become more advanced and he will need the athleticism to deal with it and he won't have it...