Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy history of Colts in 11-20 Drafting Slot ...

From a Colts.com article ...

"Since coming to Indianapolis, the Colts have chosen in the 11-20 range on five different occasions:

• 1984: OG-Ron Solt (19th overall)
  • 1995: DL-Ellis Johnson (15th overall)
  • 1996: WR-Marvin Harrison (19th overall)
  • 1997: OT-Tarik Glenn (19th overall)
  • 2002: DE-Dwight Freeney (11th overall)"

Hopefully this year we will nail the pick to continue the success trend of the last three times the colts selected in the 11-20 range!  I am hoping for a stud Offensive Lineman.

Go Colts!

That list kind of shows the transition the NFL has made over that time period.  Back in 1984, the power running game was much more prevalent, and OG Ron Solt was taken with a high pick.  The last three picks show the importance of the passing game.  I think if we hadn't re-signed AC to his contract recently, it would greatly increase the odds of us taking OL at #18.  I think we go defense this year.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

That list kind of shows the transition the NFL has made over that time period.  Back in 1984, the power running game was much more prevalent, and OG Ron Solt was taken with a high pick.  The last three picks show the importance of the passing game.  I think if we hadn't re-signed AC to his contract recently, it would greatly increase the odds of us taking OL at #18.  I think we go defense this year.

Guards are still taken in the first round almost every year.   There were 3 taken in the 2013 draft

I think the Colts still need two more studs on the OL and the OL coming round is of paramount importance to the offensive success of the team.  I consider the OL as the number one priority.  After that, focus has to be on defense.

Colts are about 5 players away from being a true force.  2 OL, 1 DB or 1 DL, 1 OLB, and 1 ILB.  If you take and maintain what the team currently has, but then add studs in those five (6) spots, they would have a championship caliber roster.

With much drafting good fortune, hopefully they will fill 3 of those 5 spots this year.   Maybe 1 of those five can still be solved via free agency.  And then hopefully two key adds can be had next year.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I think the Colts still need two more studs on the OL and the OL coming round is of paramount importance to the offensive success of the team.  I consider the OL as the number one priority.  After that, focus has to be on defense.

Colts are about 5 players away from being a true force.  2 OL, 1 DB or 1 DL, 1 OLB, and 1 ILB.  If you take and maintain what the team currently has, but then add studs in those five (6) spots, they would have a championship caliber roster.

With much drafting good fortune, hopefully they will fill 3 of those 5 spots this year.   Maybe 1 of those five can still be solved via free agency.  And then hopefully two key adds can be had next year.

Couldn't agree with you more. OL is the number one priority.  I would be okay with the second round too just to make sure we increase the likelihood of fixing it.  Then defense.

7 hours ago, rockywoj said:

"Since coming to Indianapolis, the Colts have chosen in the 11-20 range on five different occasions:

Hopefully this year we will nail the pick to continue the success trend of the last three times the colts selected in the 11-20 range!  I am hoping for a stud Offensive Lineman.

Go Colts!

I don't remember Ron Solt, But if he was as good as the rest of this list he was pretty impressive. I'm  onboard with OL at #18. Looks like we might get a chance at Conklin. that would be awesome!

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Go Colts!

Andre Rison at pick #22. Dallas Clark #24. I know these picks were after the 20th pick but these were good picks at the time.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ellis Johnson was pretty good, too. He may not have been the caliber as Harrison or Freeny, but I'd say that's 4 good players in the teens. Don't know much about Solt.

The Colts received Mark Herrman, Chris Hinton and the 19th pick in 84 for John Elway  The Colts drafted Solt with that pick.  I think he played here 5 or 6 years and went to at least 1 pro bowl.   He was a solid player on a terrible team