Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question for some fans on here...

1 minute ago, esmort said:

The answer is likely the eventual departure of Grigson. 

When there is little to nothing to be positive about, might as well let people vent.  What would you suggest as multiple positive topics for discussion concerning the Colts right now? 

Grigson is going no where at this point. If you feel there is nothing to be positive about IMO you are being a little narrow minded. This team didn't accomplish what they did without having talent. One year away from a AFC championship game tells us that. I think the main problem is depth. The talent level from the starters to the 2nd tier is where the problem is. We address some of that problem and thing will get better. My point is being in a mindset of nothing but negativity serves no one.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what is the answer? More whine? More trashing the FO? More bashing players? How many more threads started saying the same old stuff?  I think most of us know exactly what the problems are but sitting around whining and crying is not going to change anything. We can all have opinions and ideas on what we would do but that is a waist of time. As fans we have no choice but to wait and see. So Grigson hasn't signed what some think is an impact free agent? Would that pacify the fans if that took place? No, there would be something else to take it's place to whine about or someone else to bash.

I am with you. I am going to wait for the Draft before I see where our team stands. Andrew will be 100% coming into next season and teams like Houston and Jacks still don't impress me to the point where I think we cant beat them even without this Draft.

The Colts will continue to rule the division. Last year wasn't pretty but with new coordinators and a healthy QB we should bounce back. 

The Jags have added some pieces on defense and will probably play us close. The Texans brought in a below average QB whose statistics are worse than Hoyers. And Tennessee with Murray should be more balanced but their OLine is awful. 

All in all we are doing fine. Our core of Luck, TY, AC, and Davis is far better than any in the AFC South. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

The Colts will continue to rule the division. Last year wasn't pretty but with new coordinators and a healthy QB we should bounce back. 

The Jags have added some pieces on defense and will probably play us close. The Texans brought in a below average QB whose statistics are worse than Hoyers. And Tennessee with Murray should be more balanced but their OLine is awful. 

All in all we are doing fine. Our core of Luck, TY, AC, and Davis is far better than any in the AFC South. 

If Andrew can stay healthy we should be ok. Had he played against Houston last season we would've won.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Please name a SB winner that hasn't had to "be patient".

Nobody has repeated since the Pats, and they had to wait a decade after their "dynasty" to get another one.

If it was easy enough that you didn't have to "be patient", then every GM would check that box and avoid "being patient" with an ever-changing diverse staff.

We have been patient ... now we get to do it again because Grigson was incompetent ,,, and I have little faith ht he will get it right this time which means we will have to "be patient" yet again in a couple years when Grigson is fired.

5 minutes ago, esmort said:

We have been patient ... now we get to do it again because Grigson was incompetent ,,, and I have little faith ht he will get it right this time which means we will have to "be patient" yet again in a couple years when Grigson is fired.

I honestly thought it would take us 4 or 5 years to be a contender anyway once Peyton left. Andrew was so Great his rookie season that it had everyone back in spoiled mode haha I picked us to go 7-9 that season after going 2-14 and most had us at 4-12/5-11. I thought by year 2 we would be a Playoff team but not a contender, year 3 same thing and we made a Final 4, last season was a setback but we had a ton of injuries including Andrew but in no way did I ever think we would win a SB in Andrew's first 5 seasons and he hast even played 5 yet.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Grigson is going no where at this point. If you feel there is nothing to be positive about IMO you are being a little narrow minded. This team didn't accomplish what they did without having talent. One year away from a AFC championship game tells us that. I think the main problem is depth. The talent level from the starters to the 2nd tier is where the problem is. We address some of that problem and thing will get better. My point is being in a mindset of nothing but negativity serves no one.

Which is why I said "eventual departure".

The new coaches may be the the biggest positive, but there is really nothing to discuss there unless some new info comes out or until we see what they have planned. What else has happened since last season that is positive and discussion worthy?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly thought it would take us 4 or 5 years to be a contender anyway once Peyton left. Andrew was so Great his rookie season that it had everyone back in spoiled mode haha I picked us to go 7-9 that season after going 2-14 and most had us at 4-12/5-11. I thought by year 2 we would be a Playoff team but not a contender, year 3 same thing and we made a Final 4, last season was a setback but we had a ton of injuries including Andrew but in no way did I ever think we would win a SB in Andrew's first 5 seasons and he hast even played 5 yet.

In 2012 I figured (or at least was hoping) we would be a legitimate contender/top tier - borderline elite by the end of last season or by this upcoming season. Which I suppose is still possible, but appears very unlikely.

These past years where we over achieved (but weren't ever real threats) were fun, but I would rather be a solid team now than to have those couple seasons of "phantom success".

In 2012 I figured (or at least was hoping) we would be a legitimate contender/top tier - borderline elite by the end of last season or by this upcoming season. Which I suppose is still possible, but appears very unlikely.

These past years where we over achieved (but weren't ever real threats) were fun, but I would rather be a solid team now than to have those couple seasons of "phantom success".

This FA hasn't really bothered me because of what happened with this last FA. The Draft is critical. Regarding Andrew's rookie season, I thought at best we would go 8-8. I predicted 7-9 after going 2-14 after almost a complete rebuild. That 11-5 season was shocking and showed what he is capable of. I knew he would be Good to Great coming out of college but I thought it would even take him 2 or 3 years to get us in the Playoffs.

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

I am going to say relax. It's the NFL where every year is different and brings changes. Every season there are 31 teams that go back to the drawing board.

34 minutes ago, esmort said:

When did we have to be patient??  We went from first overall pick to playoffs in one year. If that is patient to you then I think you are very disillusioned as to how 90% of the franchises in this league view not only patience, but success. IF we have to be patient,  it will be til 2017, when we have 70+ million in cap and this year and next year's draft (along with the comp picks we get from this offseason). Again one season is nothing compared to most franchises. Go look at the Browns fan forum or the Raiders fan forum if you want to know about patience. 

3 hours ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

Why is it that at this point in the off season with the "good free agents" off the board, feel it's no big deal the Colts have done nothing? Several of u disagreed with my statement in other posts in regards to the afc south. As it sits currently we would easily be 3rd in the division.  Jacksonville has helped thier defense quite a bit and I'm sure they will add a cb yet,plus they added Chris ivory. This team killed us last year (so what luck was out,we couldn't stop them) and if they had a kicker they beat us twice. Houston now has a decent qb (no more hoyer the turnover machine),they add a great back in Miller who doesn't get hurt and was under utilized in Miami or his numbers would been better,plus few other pieces they signed with an already great defense, they did beat us last year. All we did is resign a few that could of went either way,signed a backup qb,and lost several that could of went either way. What been done to help the oline? Luck is no longer injury proof and who is to say this team with be on the same page all year,they were nowhere near that last year. My opinions anyway.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am going to say relax. It's the NFL where every year is different and brings changes. Every season there are 31 teams that go back to the drawing board.

There are different drawing boards.  Some get completely erased and some teams just erase/rearrange a few pieces.  We definitely seem to be much closer to the former than the latter. 

47 minutes ago, esmort said:

The answer is likely the eventual departure of Grigson. 

When there is little to nothing to be positive about, might as well let people vent.  What would you suggest as multiple positive topics for discussion concerning the Colts right now? 

The way I've looked at all this talk about Grigson being the problem is taken by perspective through the wrong pointed gun. Jim Irsay is responsible for employing Grigson. If the blame game is used for excuse, it lies ultimately with him.

Jim Irsay is a great owner. And, Im quite sure he knows what he's doing judging from three 11-5 seasons and one 8-8 since the Grigson era. I really think we should get off the bash anyone bandwagon until we see what kind of changes by the organization can produce with all this new blood.

Give it a chance.

I don't know if this is directed at me, but we don't have the salary cap limitations that bind our hands to this extent.

That is correct to a certain point. Grigson has made it perfectly clear he was never going to put the Colts in salary cap hades as it was when he was hired. So far he has lived by those words. It seems he meant what he said. Like I said, relax. Now is the time to let things work out before jumping to conclusions. With all the changes in the coaching staff it may surprise you.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This FA hasn't really bothered me because of what happened with this last FA. The Draft is critical. Regarding Andrew's rookie season, I thought at best we would go 8-8. I predicted 7-9 after going 2-14 after almost a complete rebuild. That 11-5 season was shocking and showed what he is capable of. I knew he would be Good to Great coming out of college but I thought it would even take him 2 or 3 years to get us in the Playoffs.

I am not one to be all about the big name FA signing, but we have more holes than we can fill with the draft and I would prefer not to be a bottom feeder in FA either.  With that said even big name FAs can be good investments if you choose the right ones.

2 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

The way I've looked at all this talk about Grigson being the problem is taken by perspective through the wrong pointed gun. Jim Irsay is responsible for employing Grigson. If the blame game is used for excuse, it lies ultimately with him.

Jim Irsay is a great owner. And, Im quite sure he knows what he's doing judging from three 11-5 seasons and one 8-8 since the Grigson era. I really think we should get off the bash anyone bandwagon until we see what kind of changes by the organization can produce with all this new blood.

Give it a chance.

Translation = give Grigson another chance to correct his previous incompetence.

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't know if this is directed at me, but we don't have the salary cap limitations that bind our hands to this extent.

We will likely sign some mid to low level FA's. Nothing noteworthy I'm sure but a couple players that can contribute. I would have liked Mack or Wisniewski but that was unrealistic. The draft is where the real action will be at. It wasn't directed at you specifically...Just as a general statement for all to know

Translation = give Grigson another chance to correct his previous incompetence.

You are really over stating Grigsons incompetence. One year out of four cant be used as judgment. I look back and Grigson hitting a home run with his first draft and winning the GM of the year has raised the bar beyond expectations. If you are going to hand pick certain things to call out don't overlook the other side of the coin.

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

It sounds like they want to build the o-line through the draft but it takes time for these to develope.

also a lot of times when they develop, they chase the money and move on, each season is the only one that counts, put playmakers on the field each season however it is done, free agents, draft players who can start this year, or any unsigned player who can help, this is how the pats do it

1 minute ago, get an 0-line said:

also a lot of times when they develop, they chase the money and move on, each season is the only one that counts, put playmakers on the field each season however it is done, free agents, draft players who can start this year, or any unsigned player who can help, this is how the pats do it

Some say the Pats create a little more than the rules allow too. Just saying. :scratch:  :D

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is correct to a certain point. Grigson has made it perfectly clear he was never going to put the Colts in salary cap hades as it was when he was hired. So far he has lived by those words. It seems he meant what he said. Like I said, relax. Now is the time to let things work out before jumping to conclusions. With all the changes in the coaching staff it may surprise you.

I used to like that he wouldn't spend big in FA, and I am still not in favor of going after every big FA that hits the market.  But sometimes a well placed high priced quality FA is the way to go. Right now we have far more holes than we can fill through the draft even if we hit on every single pick (which we won't). I would like to give our new coaches some pieces (other than low tier FAs) to work with. 

I used to like that he wouldn't spend big in FA, and I am still not in favor of going after every big FA that hits the market.  But sometimes a well placed high priced quality FA is the way to go. Right now we have far more holes than we can fill through the draft even if we hit on every single pick (which we won't). I would like to give our new coaches some pieces (other than low tier FAs) to work with. 

I agree with all of that. But IMO the base has to be built with depth before that can be accomplished. Has Grigson made mistakes? Heck yes. Now we wait and see if he has learned from those mistakes. Being in a negative mind frame just compounds what it means to you. I have been a long time Colt fan and have seen all the bad with the good so maybe I do have more patience that most.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are really over stating Grigsons incompetence. One year out of four cant be used as judgment. I look back and Grigson hitting a home run with his first draft and winning the GM of the year has raised the bar beyond expectations. If you are going to hand pick certain things to call out don't overlook the other side of the coin.

I really don't feel that I am.  I give him credit for the things he has done TY, V Davis, colts friendly contracts, etc ... but I currently feel like his negatives far outweigh his positives.  And although I don't know that he is I feel like others have said that his current strategy looks like it might be to chase the comp picks ... If this is the case I also believe this is a bad strategy for us at this point in the teams lifecycle (even with comp picks becoming tradeable). 

I really don't feel that I am.  I give him credit for the things he has done TY, V Davis, colts friendly contracts, etc ... but I currently feel like his negatives far outweigh his positives.  And although I don't know that he is I feel like others have said that his current strategy looks like it might be to chase the comp picks ... If this is the case I also believe this is a bad strategy for us at this point in the teams lifecycle (even with comp picks becoming tradeable). 

Just a thought- The Colts at this point are farther along and have accomplished more in four years with Grigson that they did with Polian. Patience grasshopper. ( I don't mean that as an insult, just a saying)

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

Like I keep saying I think at this point the big reloading phase is going to be next offseason so I can see how having Comp picks will help that. If we won't win the superbowl this year why not move a few chips to 2017 when we make our big push?

6 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I would be fine with Casey Hayward, Zach Brown and a flyer on Russell Okung

I would also take a flyer on Eric Weddle, that guy has killed us over the year

There are 4 players available that could fill gaps for a somewhat affordable cost

Hayward signed with Chargers

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just a thought- The Colts at this point are farther along and have accomplished more in four years with Grigson that they did with Polian. Patience grasshopper. ( I don't mean that as an insult, just a saying)

Accomplished more? yes ... Farther along? Not sure about that. 

12 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Like I keep saying I think at this point the big reloading phase is going to be next offseason so I can see how having Comp picks will help that. If we won't win the superbowl this year why not move a few chips to 2017 when we make our big push?

Chasing comp pick only makes sense as a strategy when you have a lot of high quality FAs you can let go for quality comp picks, because you have plenty of young talent waiting behind them.  It makes sense for a more mature established team who have accumulated a lot of solid players that other teams will pay high for.  We will get like a 4th and a 7th ... which is not enough to forego plugging some holes with quality FAs this year IMO. 

8 minutes ago, esmort said:

Accomplished more? yes ... Farther along? Not sure about that. 

A rebuild consists not of a majority of FAs. That's a given. It starts from coaching & yes GMs. However, Irsay has retained Grigson for a purpose beyond of what our knowledge and comprehension is right now. Irsay has certainly upset the status quo applecart with a monstrous 11 coaching changes while keeping Pagano. That's a huge move. A necessary move for a total rebuild through draft & beyond. 

And these coaching changes have TEETH. Monachino, Chudzinski, Philbin, Williams, Krein, Singleton & Hull. Just to name a few. Some have changed roles, some not. I'll take these guys as absolute input as to what follows. Their knowledge and prior roles point to success. Whether that's selection, coaching, and/or valued systematic play. 

You have to start somewhere. And the arrowed direction that Irsay seems to have laid out by coaching, draft, stronger & younger personnel, all point to a plan that consists of winning in a much different way than the past. Whether fans agree or disagree with the newly found strategy of this organization is irrelevant. It's going to happen. For this Old-Colt-Codger? I think it's a directive that's long overdue.

3 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

A rebuild consists not of a majority of FAs. That's a given. It starts from coaching & yes GMs. However, Irsay has retained Grigson for a purpose beyond of what our knowledge and comprehension is right now. Irsay has certainly upset the status quo applecart with a monstrous 11 coaching changes while keeping Pagano. That's a huge move. A necessary move for a total rebuild through draft & beyond. 

And these coaching changes have TEETH. Monachino, Chudzinski, Philbin, Williams, Krein, Singleton & Hull. Just to name a few. Some have changed roles, some not. I'll take these guys as absolute input as to what follows. Their knowledge and prior roles point to success. Whether that's selection, coaching, and/or valued systematic play. 

You have to start somewhere. And the arrowed direction that Irsay seems to have laid out by coaching, draft, stronger & younger personnel, all point to a plan that consists of winning in a much different way than the past. Whether fans agree or disagree with the newly found strategy of this organization is irrelevant. It's going to happen. For this Old-Colt-Codger? I think it's a directive that's long overdue.

Too bad he wasted years letting Grigson screw it up before he decided to change direction, and then retains incompetent Grigson to go with the new direction.

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

Too bad he wasted years letting Grigson screw it up before he decided to change direction, and then retains incompetent Grigson to go with the new direction.

Hey, I've no problem with how you feel. I get it. Winning & winning now has long followed this organization since Irsay took hold of it back in the 1990s. And that's exactly what he did - Win, and win consistently year in & year out. However, there comes a point in time where that ends for all NFL teams temporarily. Back to the tools from whence it came becomes the strategy. Deviation occurs at times as to what strategy to follow. The Colts have chosen one. We have to live with it to it's fruition. And my guess is it will be a winning one.

I honestly think we are trying to do it the Patriot way. Don't sign free agents until it doesn't affect the compensatory picks, and then hope to have a good draft. This season will show just how good Grigson and Pagano are. Do we have the necessary pieces in house to play well in the new system. Can Ryan Grigson pull impqct players in this draft.. we'll see.