Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016 Free Agents: Centers

For your consideration I submit to you UFA Centers for 2016......I'm just thinking maybe we could use a professional Center, anyone have a "like" here? 

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 
 - Sort by Team - ARI ATL BAL BUF CAR CHI CIN CLE DAL DEN DET GB HOU IND JAC KC MIA MIN NE NO NYG NYJ OAK PHI PIT SD SF SEA STL TB TEN WAS 
 All Positions Offense     Quarterback     Running Back     Fullback     Wide Receiver     Tight End     Offensive Line         Tackle             Left Tackle             Right Tackle         Guard         Center Defense     Defensive Line         Defensive End         Defensive Tackle     Linebacker         Outside Linebacker         Inside Linebacker     Secondary         Cornerback         Safety             Free Safety             Strong Safety     Kicker     Punter     Long Snapper 
 All Types UFA RFA ERFA 
PLAYER (24)
TO
2015 CAP HIT
STATUS
Mackenzy Bernadeau C 29 DAL TBD $2,824,166 UFA
Stefen Wisniewski C 26 JAC TBD $2,500,000 UFA
Ted Larsen G 28 ARI TBD $2,435,000 UFA
Ryan Wendell C 29 NE TBD $2,400,000 UFA
Lyle Sendlein C 31 ARI TBD $2,000,000 UFA
Ben Jones C 26 HOU TBD $1,662,362 UFA
Gino Gradkowski C 27 ATL TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Josh LeRibeus C 26 WAS TBD $864,081 UFA
Tony Bergstrom C 29 OAK TBD $786,504 UFA
Tim Barnes C 27 STL TBD $710,017 UFA

I like Wiesnewski. If  Grig's signed him last year we wouldn't be going through this. Holmes is the biggest problem with this team. You stick a real C with Castonzo Mewhort  Thorton Reitz. We have at least an average O Line. You upgrade RG we could have a good O line. 

Mack is going to leave the Browns. I wouldn't object but he will cost significantly more money and is 4 years older. 

I would like to see us sign Wisenewski or Ben Jones. Both are still young 25 and 26 I believe. This is Jones first yr at C since college. We need a real C next year not a rookie. Either of these guys stabilize the line for the next 5-7 yrs. 

Then I would bring in Jeff Allen from KC. Another young guy. He has played both G positions and RT. I would have him challenge for a spot on the right side. 

He could take over at RG unless Thorton can put it together and stay healthy. Challenge Reitz at RT or be our primary back up. Something tells me he ends up at RG.. He is only 25. 

Those 2 moves could fix our O Line problems. We still don't know what we have in Heenan or Good.

We have to address the C in FA. That position has to be stable for a successful OL. That's been Grig's biggest fault undervuing the need for quality at C or getting stuck on Holmes however you look at it. 

I originally had us standing pat at center for one more year and hoping either Harrison or Holmes turns into an average center.  But I think I've seen enough of those two.  Usually, there are no easy solutions at center.  Top FAs don't want to move and change systems, and teams really don't want to lose their signal callers on the line.  Mack wants to win, so he'll likely be available (voidable contract this year).  However, he was pretty average this year as he tried to get over an injury.  He's a very expensive and risky solution.  I still believe that I would refrain from going there in the draft, even though it's a very good center year.  I just think we have a lot of other needs I'd like to address.  In the end, I think I'd go after Lyle Sendlein of Arizona.  He's an over-achieving leader on the Cardinals' OL, and I think Arians likes A.Q. Shipley to take over if someone like us really wants to overpay Sendlein.  He'd be a placeholder, I know, but that's what I'd do.  Still, if someone like Dan Voltz fell to us in the 3rd round, I'd want to pick him up to upgrade depth on the interior OL and give us a possible center-of-the-future behind sendlein...

Give me Nick Martin in the 2nd round and Osemele in free agency. That should take care of our O-Line problem. Osemele is an a all pro type Guard and I think Martin will be one of the best Centers in the league. I'd keep Reitz at RT but draft a guy like Swindle in the 4th to have as insurance and to develop.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Give me Nick Martin in the 2nd round and Osemele in free agency. That should take care of our O-Line problem. Osemele is an a all pro type Guard and I think Martin will be one of the best Centers in the league. I'd keep Reitz at RT but draft a guy like Swindle in the 4th to have as insurance and to develop.

Max Tuerk is the better prospect on film IMO.

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I like Nick Martin. I think he's the top center in a particularly deep class at the position, and it would be a total victory if we could score him in round 2 imo. 

19 hours ago, akcolt said:

I like Wiesnewski. If  Grig's signed him last year we wouldn't be going through this. Holmes is the biggest problem with this team. You stick a real C with Castonzo Mewhort  Thorton Reitz. We have at least an average O Line. You upgrade RG we could have a good O line. 

Mack is going to leave the Browns. I wouldn't object but he will cost significantly more money and is 4 years older. 

I would like to see us sign Wisenewski or Ben Jones. Both are still young 25 and 26 I believe. This is Jones first yr at C since college. We need a real C next year not a rookie. Either of these guys stabilize the line for the next 5-7 yrs. 

Then I would bring in Jeff Allen from KC. Another young guy. He has played both G positions and RT. I would have him challenge for a spot on the right side. 

He could take over at RG unless Thorton can put it together and stay healthy. Challenge Reitz at RT or be our primary back up. Something tells me he ends up at RG.. He is only 25. 

Those 2 moves could fix our O Line problems. We still don't know what we have in Heenan or Good.

We have to address the C in FA. That position has to be stable for a successful OL. That's been Grig's biggest fault undervuing the need for quality at C or getting stuck on Holmes however you look at it. 

But Harrison has started more games these last two seasons at Center than Holmes has...

2 hours ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

But Harrison has started more games these last two seasons at Center than Holmes has...

That is exactly why it was so stupid to hand him the starting job. He can't stay healthy and he's not even average. You add a real C to what we have the OL isn't in the shambles everyone thinks it is. Your leader can't be a wimp and the weak link. It's beyond me how anyone thought it would work.

Besides being below average this is the first year Holmes has made it to week 1. Then he lasted a whole 7 games before his boo boo's started. He's weak. 

When Pagano questions your toughness. The guy who builds up everyone to the press. When he calls you out there's a problem, Louis and Herremmans were just handed starting jobs??

A good NFL C would make this line better immediately. Wisenewski or Jones is who I'd pursue because they are 26 and 25. I would be happy with a place holder. By far the weakest link on the team followed closely by CB. The C should be the leader of the OL. 

As I said in the other post then I'd bring Jeff Allen in from KC. He's 25 and played both G spots and RT to challenge our RG and RT. He should at least unseat Thorton unless Hugh finally puts it together and stays healthy. Which could happen Holmes never had the tools. 

We could draft a RT but I have no problem going with Reitz. I thought he did fine. Or look at Schwartz or another in FA. Schwartz is a young guy that may not fit the Browns new zone scheme. I guess a lot depends on how we feel about Good. 

I'm tired of bringing in old guys. I think C at least needs to be a FA.  

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

That is exactly why it was so stupid to hand him the starting job. He can't stay healthy and he's not even average. You add a real C to what we have the OL isn't in the shambles everyone thinks it is. Your leader can't be a wimp and the weak link. It's beyond me how anyone thought it would work.

Besides being below average this is the first year Holmes has made it to week 1. Then he lasted a whole 7 games before his boo boo's started. He's weak. 

When Pagano questions your toughness. The guy who builds up everyone to the press. When he calls you out there's a problem, Louis and Herremmans were just handed starting jobs??

A good NFL C would make this line better immediately. Wisenewski or Jones is who I'd pursue because they are 26 and 25. I would be happy with a place holder. By far the weakest link on the team followed closely by CB. The C should be the leader of the OL. 

As I said in the other post then I'd bring Jeff Allen in from KC. He's 25 and played both G spots and RT to challenge our RG and RT. He should at least unseat Thorton unless Hugh finally puts it together and stays healthy. Which could happen Holmes never had the tools. 

We could draft a RT but I have no problem going with Reitz. I thought he did fine. Or look at Schwartz or another in FA. Schwartz is a young guy that may not fit the Browns new zone scheme. I guess a lot depends on how we feel about Good. 

I'm tired of bringing in old guys. I think C at least needs to be a FA.  

Yeah I agree with you that neither are starting caliber in the NFL. I also think that this line is so bad that it won't be very hard to see an improvement as long as they sign a couple of players in FA. The team could have in excess of 40 Million in cap space depending on who they release so there's no reason for the next GM to neglect the situation. In fact, if I'm Jim Irsay, that's one of the first questions I'm asking in the interview with any potential GM, "What are you going to do to shore up the offensive line?"