Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

EDGE/OLB draft options

Some players I like that are possible at various points in the draft. What are your opinions?

2016 draft notes

Edge/OLB
1. Noah Spence - Eastern KY end of rd1 or early rd2
2. Alex McCalister - Florida rd 4/5
3. Devonte Fields - Louisville rd 4/5
4. Charles Harris - Missouri - if he comes out for draft rd 2/3
5. Lewis Neal - LSU rd2/4
6. Carl Lawson - Auburn rd 2/3
7. Trevon Young - Louisville rd6/7
8. Others that would be first but probably be gone by our pick. Emmanuel Ogbah-Okc St rd1, Shaq Lawson-Clemson rd1

If available Ogbah would be my 1st round selection for our Colts.

I don't see Ogbah or Lawson doing well at OLB.

The guys I like are Floyd Calhoun Ngakoue*** Biegal Turay* Fackrell Schobert Neal Jenkins.

I really like Ngakoue. I hope we land him. I wouldn't touch Spence too much trouble. I would grab Mouhon as an UDFA. 

I am interested to what happens with Striker. There's talk of a Kam Chancellor type role at the next level. 

12 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

Some players I like that are possible at various points in the draft. What are your opinions?

2016 draft notes

Edge/OLB
1. Noah Spence - Eastern KY end of rd1 or early rd2
2. Alex McCalister - Florida rd 4/5
3. Devonte Fields - Louisville rd 4/5
4. Charles Harris - Missouri - if he comes out for draft rd 2/3
5. Lewis Neal - LSU rd2/4
6. Carl Lawson - Auburn rd 2/3
7. Trevon Young - Louisville rd6/7
8. Others that would be first but probably be gone by our pick. Emmanuel Ogbah-Okc St rd1, Shaq Lawson-Clemson rd1

If available Ogbah would be my 1st round selection for our Colts.

I think you missed on the #1 kid, though many (most?) here seem to see him as inside.

But I think Smith as Notre Dame is going to be an OLB, and not an ILB.   But it may depend on the team that drafts him and how they seem him.     But from what I've been reading most scouts see him playing outside and not inside....

NOTE:   Sorry,  I see that you're listing kids who you think we have a shot at in certain rounds, and not the 5 or 10 best in each position.   My bad!

I just don't see it with Ngakoue. I have watched 3 game films on him and in 2 the closest he got to a QB was 10 yards and the other wasn't much better against poor competiton. He is rarley any help against the rush or setting the edge. He tackles high instead of wrapping up which looks like he's relying on speed only with no technique. He does seem to be an athlete but Needs strength. 

I like him as a 4-5 rd pick but not someone expected to make an immediate impact.

4 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

I just don't see it with Ngakoue. I have watched 3 game films on him and in 2 the closest he got to a QB was 10 yards and the other wasn't much better against poor competiton. He is rarley any help against the rush or setting the edge. He tackles high instead of wrapping up which looks like he's relying on speed only with no technique. He does seem to be an athlete but Needs strength. 

I like him as a 4-5 rd pick but not someone expected to make an immediate impact.

I absolutely agree. I thought I'd be looking at a monster pass rusher and was left extremely underwhelmed. He was slow off the line, got no penetration, and didn't contain/set the edge. I'd take him mid round based on upside, but I wouldn't ever consider him a 1st rounder.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like Shalique Calhoun. Has active hands and an elite first step. Could easily play OLB or DE.

If we take Calhoun or Floyd I think it will have to be in the first round. I think we should have a shot picking in the late teens as it now looks like we are for sure. 

45 minutes ago, akcolt said:

If we take Calhoun or Floyd I think it will have to be in the first round. I think we should have a shot picking in the late teens as it now looks like we are for sure. 

And I would be fine taking either of  them round one. Both are great options. Floyd has a lower floor though IMO, but his ceiling is Aldon Smith.

Calhoun is a day 1 starter IMO

4 hours ago, Shive said:

I absolutely agree. I thought I'd be looking at a monster pass rusher and was left extremely underwhelmed. He was slow off the line, got no penetration, and didn't contain/set the edge. I'd take him mid round based on upside, but I wouldn't ever consider him a 1st rounder.

He's not a first rounder but he will move up into the top 100 picking where we are now I think he could be had in the 3rd.

I was was anticipating picking later. He could be another 3rd round steal.  I would love him in the 4th but I don't think he lasts that long. 

After Calhoun and Floyd I don't see a 1st round Edge. Turay is a freak but not 1st rounder. 

I I haven't seen much of Ngakoue this yr but his stats. Maryland switched to a 4-3. He stood up last year. I noticed him last year vs Iowa he had Schreff on skates played well vs the other big boys too. Big 10 has good OL.  The later the better. I like the kid.