Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos' Brock Osweiler to start versus Patriots

Shane Bond

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with Peyton its just a matter of him getting healthy from the plantar fasciitis. I said I didn't think he could plant that back foot (right foot) which I think caused some of his throws to be way off. By no means do I think he has a lot left in the tank but I think he has the final year of his deal (2016) if he wants it.

Also I think unless Osweiler really turns his game up the Broncos could be in for another QB in the draft given Osweiler is going to be 26 next year and the Broncos would probably want to head in a younger direction...A QB that would more fit Kubiaks scheme he uses....plenty of rollouts(This changes of course if Osweiler seizes the opportunity he has now of course) starting in 2017 after Mannings last year of his contract

I think with Peyton its just a matter of him getting healthy from the plantar fasciitis. I said I didn't think he could plant that back foot (right foot) which I think caused some of his throws to be way off. By no means do I think he has a lot left in the tank but I think he has the final year of his deal (2016) if he wants it.

Also I think unless Osweiler really turns his game up the Broncos could be in for another QB in the draft given Osweiler is going to be 26 next year and the Broncos would probably want to head in a younger direction...A QB that would more fit Kubiaks scheme he uses....plenty of rollouts(This changes of course if Osweiler seizes the opportunity he has now of course) starting in 2017 after Mannings last year of his contract

His issue is in his left foot, not his right

Brock may be like Matt Flynn.....one game hero?  Time will tell.  I am not shutting down 18 until he is ready.

I know, Brent.  You know I feel the same,  just trying to be realistic that he could possibly be done.

Although, we thought that 4 years ago, and he had some amazing playing time after that.  So who knows  :dunno:

Also I think unless Osweiler really turns his game up the Broncos could be in for another QB in the draft given Osweiler is going to be 26 next year and the Broncos would probably want to head in a younger direction...A QB that would more fit Kubiaks scheme he uses....plenty of rollouts(This changes of course if Osweiler seizes the opportunity he has now of course) starting in 2017 after Mannings last year of his contract

26 is not old. Brock is a great fit skill wise for what Kubiak wants to do. The  issue is he is in his contract year so either they res-sign or have to start over. They had to be encouraged with what they saw on Sunday vs the Bears given that was first start on the road. There is no reason to believe he won't continue to improve in an offense that fits what he does well. Denver has the next 6 games to see if he is the guy or not.

I know, Brent.  You know I feel the same,  just trying to be realistic that he could possibly be done.

Although, we thought that 4 years ago, and he had some amazing playing time after that.  So who knows   :dunno:

I have always prepared for Peyton's 'riding of into the sunset.'  I honestly did not feel he would come back as soon as he did to play exceptionally after the serious neck injury.  

Fun Fact:

Brady is 2-5  at Mile High.   Could be 2-6  after this game...??   :dunno:   Hope so.

That is incorrect.

Brady is 2-4 at Mile High. But here is more context about his games vs Denver over his career.

Overall, Tom Brady has played pretty well against Denver. He has eight 0 or 1 interception games to go along with five 300+ yard performances, and five 2+TD performances. The bad? He's also six games where he has failed to complete 60% of his passes. Overall, his teams have averaged 24.0 points per game. He is 2-2 at Home and 2-4 in Denver.  http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/11/23/5136102/tom-brady-4-6-all-time-vs-the-denver-broncos

Also of note for this game is Brady's performance vs Wade Phillips:

Tom Brady has Wade Phillips' number

In four games between the Patriots quarterback and Phillips-led defenses, Brady has the upper hand with a 3-1 record. That includes three consecutive wins. In those four games, Brady is a combined 98-for-164 for 1,188 yards, with 12 touchdowns and four interceptions. That averages out to 25-for-41 for 297 yards with three touchdowns and one pick a game -- not bad numbers for the quarterback. So it was no surprise that Phillips threw plenty of bouquets in Brady’s direction on Thursday.

“Their quarterback is one of the all-time best -- he’s got to be in the top five of all time, for sure,” said Phillips, who is in his second year as Houston's defensive coordinator. “They’re scoring more points than everybody else, and he’s behind a lot of it, although, they have a really good running game also. You can’t put enough accolades on the guy. And how many games has the guy won? It’s amazing. His record has to be unbelievable.”

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/01/10/tom-brady-has-wade-phillips-number

That is incorrect.

Brady is 2-4 at Mile High. But here is more context about his games vs Denver over his career.

Overall, Tom Brady has played pretty well against Denver. He has eight 0 or 1 interception games to go along with five 300+ yard performances, and five 2+TD performances. The bad? He's also six games where he has failed to complete 60% of his passes. Overall, his teams have averaged 24.0 points per game. He is 2-2 at Home and 2-4 in Denver. http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/11/23/5136102/tom-brady-4-6-all-time-vs-the-denver-broncos

Also of note for this game is Brady's performance vs Wade Phillips:

Tom Brady has Wade Phillips' number

In four games between the Patriots quarterback and Phillips-led defenses, Brady has the upper hand with a 3-1 record. That includes three consecutive wins. In those four games, Brady is a combined 98-for-164 for 1,188 yards, with 12 touchdowns and four interceptions. That averages out to 25-for-41 for 297 yards with three touchdowns and one pick a game -- not bad numbers for the quarterback. So it was no surprise that Phillips threw plenty of bouquets in Brady’s direction on Thursday.

“Their quarterback is one of the all-time best -- he’s got to be in the top five of all time, for sure,” said Phillips, who is in his second year as Houston's defensive coordinator. “They’re scoring more points than everybody else, and he’s behind a lot of it, although, they have a really good running game also. You can’t put enough accolades on the guy. And how many games has the guy won? It’s amazing. His record has to be unbelievable.”

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/01/10/tom-brady-has-wade-phillips-number

These are the 5 losses I show for Brady at Mile High. Is one incorrect?

10/28/2001

10/16/2005

1/14/2006

10/11/2009

1/19/2014

These are the 5 losses I show for Brady at Mile High. Is one incorrect?

10/28/2001

10/16/2005

1/14/2006

10/11/2009

1/19/2014

2 of those are post-season. Brady is 2-3 in the regular season at Denver (I said 2-4 mistakenly).

He is 5-5 vs Denver lifetime (both regular season and post-season)

2 of those are post-season. Brady is 2-3 in the regular season at Denver (I said 2-4 mistakenly).

He is 5-5 vs Denver lifetime (both regular season and post-season)

Post season doesn't count?. I thought you always say that is what is most important.

2 of those are post-season. Brady is 2-3 in the regular season at Denver (I said 2-4 mistakenly).

He is 5-5 vs Denver lifetime (both regular season and post-season)

Post season doesn't count?. I thought you always say that is what is most important.

Btw... my original comment that you tried to dispute and downplay stands.

He is 2 and 5 AT Mile High

Peyton is the man. Always has been. Always will be.

Just to be clear BC, I'm not 2nd guessing his IQ or ability to dissect defenses with precision. All I'm saying is this: Peyton's injuries & rehab are starting to proliferate now vs subside that's all. 

Talent isn't the issue here. Age & attrition are. Father time evades no one. Not even HOF QBs.

I don't care who the Pats play if they make it. I just want them to get back again with a chance at ring 5. I would be more nervous playing the Panthers than the Giants.

Eli has played in the big game twice & won. Cam hasn't. Containing a QB's butterflies is a huge component to winning the SB. Eli has proven he can get the yardage when it matters most. Cam hasn't shown me playoff steadiness yet. Don't be too quick to dismiss Big Blue yet AMF. All NY has to do is make the post season & Eli gets hot when the games really matter. 

Plus, NE only won by a point not 45 okay AMF. So, let's not pretend it was a lopsided NE massacre shall we. Thank you.

I don't see Giants coming out of the NFC with the Panthers and Cards. I am not sure they are even going to win the division now that Romo is back.

So, Tony beats Miami & it's a foregone conclusion that Dallas is gonna win the NFC East? Let's tap the brakes on that one. I seem to recall that he threw 2 ill advised interceptions as well vs the Dolphins. 

I just don't see the Cowboys winning the rest of their regular season games personally. Tony is no NFL messiah. I don't give a darn what #88 HOF WR Michael Irvin thinks. 

Brock may be like Matt Flynn.....one game hero?  Time will tell.  I am not shutting down 18 until he is ready.

That's what bothers me most Brent. Brock beat the Bears who really aren't that dangerous & some Broncos fans are conveying the misguided impression that 1 win against mediocre team warrants hailing Osweiler as some sort of hero? Why? Beat a good club or 2 first before I even think you might be decent as a field general man. It's so ridiculous all the hype Brock is getting it's hilarious to me. 

In addition, it still ticks me off that fans booed Peyton at Mile High recently. Are you bleeping kidding me? Manning has taken your club to a SB in 2013 & you boo him a couple years later after a bad day at the office? What a bunch of ungrateful spectators. Okay, not all fans were scolding 18 I'm sure & alcohol probably played a role. But come on, all Manning's 4,000 plus seasons & post season appearances entitles Peyton to some latitude & gratitude man. Grrr! End rant.

Eli has played in the big game twice & won. Cam hasn't. Containing a QB's butterflies is a huge component to winning the SB. Eli has proven he can get the yardage when it matters most. Cam hasn't shown me playoff steadiness yet. Don't be too quick to dismiss Big Blue yet AMF. All NY has to do is make the post season & Eli gets hot when the games really matter.

Plus, NE only won by a point not 45 okay AMF. So, let's not pretend it was a lopsided NE massacre shall we. Thank you.

And Giants made so many mistakes. OBJ TD and Collins dropping a game sealing INT.

Eli roasted NE defense to 366 yards.

And Giants made so many mistakes. OBJ TD and Collins dropping a game sealing INT.

Eli roasted NE defense to 366 yards.

Ah huh. Their clock management in the final 2 minutes was horrible. Surprising to see from a Tom Coughlin team. Yeah, when Collins dropped that pick I lost it man...Son of a...

If the Giants got 366 yards once, they can get over 400 yards next time Shane. Works for me man. JPP looked solid too even with an oven mitt on. 

I don't see Giants coming out of the NFC with the Panthers and Cards. I am not sure they are even going to win the division now that Romo is back.

There is some sort of weird revenge karma thing happening with NE. They lost those two SBs very very close and I almost have this feeling (women's football intuition) that they are going to get those two SB wins back. They got one back last year and the next one might be coming. And since the SB is in SF it would be even weirder for Brady to go for #5 there.

This upcoming game may be a close win for the Patriots. It's in Denver at night, a new QB and well I think it might be another close game.

I think the Pats had a better shot at a blowout with Manning there.

There is some sort of weird revenge karma thing happening with NE. They lost those two SBs very very close and I almost have this feeling (women's football intuition) that they are going to get those two SB wins back. They got one back last year and the next one might be coming. And since the SB is in SF it would be even weirder for Brady to go for #5 there.

This upcoming game may be a close win for the Patriots. It's in Denver at night, a new QB and well I think it might be another close game.

Oh no, say it ain't so Jules...I will concede that NE is well on their way to securing a 1st round bye in the AFC....But SB success hinges on WR Julian Edelman's recovery from surgery. Danny Amendola is good, but without Edelman in the slot, I just think another consecutive SB victory streak will be an impossible hurtle to jump again. 

It all boils down to Edelman's health & who their NFC opponent in the SB is: Go Big Blue or the AZ Cardinals under Bruce Arians...

Oh no, say it ain't so Jules...I will concede that NE is well on their way to securing a 1st round bye in the AFC....But SB success hinges on WR Julian Edelman's recovery from surgery. Danny Amendola is good, but without Edelman in the slot, I just think another consecutive SB victory streak will be an impossible hurtle to jump again. 

It all boils down to Edelman's health & who their NFC opponent in the SB is: Go Big Blue or the AZ Cardinals under Bruce Arians...

I think Edelman will be back for the playoffs, if he isn't I would be suprised. And yes a lot for NE rests on the health of Gronk and Brady too.

Honestly, the only NFC team I think I would give a real shot to beat them is the Cardinals. I don't think they are messing around this year. Sadly I have a bad feeling Arizona is going to lose before the SB in a major upset. But, I want them vs. NE for the best game. Palmer even reminds me a bit of an aging Favre in his final years here.

I am not as sold on the Giants or Packers beating the Pats in the SB. And I think the league would do back flips to get Brady vs. Rodgers. This Giants team also don't have NEARLY the defense or d line they had in the past either. But, the Giants (if they make the playoffs) I would not count out either to go on a run and make the SB.

Carolina I am iffy on due to age and inexperience. They are excellent, but I am not feeling them yet. If they however lose to the Cowboys this week it will be a good luck charm for them based on past teams who have done this on unbeaten streaks.

I just feel the strongest matchup for NE would be Arizona.......

Granted YES it is tough to repeat......oh yes it is. The last team who did it was the Patriots ironically.

I think Edelman will be back for the playoffs, if he isn't I would be suprised. And yes a lot for NE rests on the health of Gronk and Brady too.

Honestly, the only NFC team I think I would give a real shot to beat them is the Cardinals. I don't think they are messing around this year. Sadly I have a bad feeling Arizona is going to lose before the SB in a major upset. But, I want them vs. NE for the best game. Palmer even reminds me a bit of an aging Favre in his final years here.

Carolina I am iffy on due to age and inexperience.

I just feel the strongest matchup for NE would be Arizona.......

Granted YES it is tough to repeat......oh yes it is. The last team who did it was the Patriots ironically.

I'm conflicted on Ariz and Carolina. Ariz has the better offense but Carolina has the better defense.

I think Carolina could very well win the SB. 

It'd be freaking awesome if he had 1 final March of Napoleon though...even if it were ultimately meaningless...like if they imploded and Manning went out and won the last 2 games or something.

You know, I am not the first person to think of that when I read this post of yours. An ironical twist would be a Peyton cameo as backup to the incumbent Brock in an AFCCG, ala Bledsoe for Brady, wherever it is. :) 

I have thought of that weird scenario, for whatever reason.

You know, I am not the first person to think of that when I read this post of yours. An ironical twist would be a Peyton cameo as backup to the incumbent Brock in an AFCCG, ala Bledsoe for Brady, wherever it is. :)

I have thought of that weird scenario, for whatever reason.

The reason was that it would be freaking awesome :)

I hope you are right. :)   A 5th rings in SF would be the cherry on top.

The Pats would have been better off with Manning at QB for sure but I think Bill will be able to confuse Brock and stop the Kubiak offense which has been anemic all season.

The Giants are not a good team this year SW. We can talk about Eli all day but he does not have the defense to contend this year like he did in his other runs. Like I said, I am still not sold that they will win their division let along beat the likes of Carolina, Arizona or GB.

Who said anything about a massacre? But beating them in NY in the fashion they did tells me this Pats team is gritty and able to rise the occasion. It was easily their most significant win of the year in terms of getting the monkey off their back with the Giants and winning a close game.

So, Tony beats Miami & it's a foregone conclusion that Dallas is gonna win the NFC East? Let's tap the brakes on that one. I seem to recall that he threw 2 ill advised interceptions as well vs the Dolphins. 

I just don't see the Cowboys winning the rest of their regular season games personally. Tony is no NFL messiah. I don't give a darn what #88 HOF WR Michael Irvin thinks. 

Tomorrow is huge for Dallas with Carolina coming in. If they can win that then watch out. Giants are not going to run the table either the rest of the way.