Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doug Fluties parents die on same day an hour apart

jvan1973

I've always had a ton of respect for Doug Flutie as a man, college analyst, & NFL QB. My deepest sympathies to Doug & his entire family. 

There is something to the notion of dying of a broken heart too. It's not sports related, but when country singer June Carter died, Johnny Cash passed away a few weeks later of a broken heart as well. 

I firmly believe that because some couples just have a timeless chemistry with each other & when that link is shattered their reason for living just disappears. 

Losing both parents that closely together would be a devastating blow though as a son or daughter. I hope neither of them suffered & went quickly & peacefully with no anxiety or fear. 

I truly believe that long married couples can die of broken hearts when 1 spouse passes. My parents passed within a year and a half of each other, mom was never the same with dad gone :(  They had been married for 57 years when dad passed :)

I've always had a ton of respect for Doug Flutie as a man, college analyst, & NFL QB. My deepest sympathies to Doug & his entire family.

There is something to the notion of dying of a broken heart too. It's not sports related, but when country singer June Carter died, Johnny Cash passed away a few weeks later of a broken heart as well.

I firmly believe that because some couples just have a timeless chemistry with each other & when that link is shattered their reason for living just disappears.

Losing both parents that closely together would be a devastating blow though as a son or daughter. I hope neither of them suffered & went quickly & peacefully with no anxiety or fear.

I totally agree, same thing happened with my great grandparents as well. Good wishes to the Fluties

yes- my mother died within 3 weeks of my father and she was younger and  in excellent health. They were married for 55+ years She only took high blood pressure pills. Did she stop after he died- we don't know. The evidence of the 2nd spouse going soon really does point to the broken heart theory.

It was a Saturday and I was going to take her to the movies and came in her bedroom and found her dead. When the police and ambulance came I was kicking the furniture I was so mad.

yes- my mother died within 3 weeks of my father and she was younger and  in excellent health. They were married for 55+ years She only took high blood pressure pills. Did she stop after he died- we don't know. The evidence of the 2nd spouse going soon really does point to the broken heart theory.

It was a Saturday and I was going to take her to the movies and came in her bedroom and found her dead. When the police and ambulance came I was kicking the furniture I was so mad.

Whoa JJ. So sorry to hear about how you found your mother especially if going to the movies together was a bonding activity that brought the 2 of you together as a regular ritual of sorts to touch base. 

Thanks for sharing such a personal memory about your folks. That took considerable bravery & courage JJ.