Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Bengals Post Game Locker Room Naked Guys Snafu

King Colt

It may someday work out the way you'd like,  but I have to tell you,  it's a LOT more complicated than that.    A lot.

Not really.   Just mandate that the players go to this room before being released to the locker room.

Exceptions would be injuries ect....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a variety of reasons.

If you're bringing players into a media area,  basically it's only one talking head at a time.    That slows the whole process dramatically.    And players are not going to stick around to be interviewed on a long slow process.

So,  for example....   the Colts play the Saints Sunday....    a newspaper might do the following...   send a reporter to cover the game.   Send another reporter to do a story on Luck and how he's doing.      Send another reporter to do a story the the key play that made the difference for the winning and losing team.    What happened on that play from both perspectives.

You can't do all of that in the media room scenario that you prefer.

You need a locker-room.     Lots of reporters asking lots of players and coaches lots of questions all at the same time.    A locker room is huge and so you can do dozens of interviews at the same time.       

But if you make it so that the players are brought in to the media room for interviews,   doing the job becomes dramatically harder.

And also,  the interviews will be far more stale than anyone would ever want.      If people are complaining about stale interviews NOW,   wait until players and coaches are brought out to a media room.      It's not good for anyone.

And this is all being brought up because one stupid camera man turned his camera in the wrong direction for 60 seconds and some guys got caught on live TV.

First time in decades.     

Sure feels like a huge over-reaction to me.....     Huge.

Lol, huge over reaction? I think this debate has been going on for quite some time. There is a workable alternative I'm sure. just because the MEDIA has a time frame isnt a valid reason to do the things that have been going on in these locker rooms.

That's really easy to say when you're not the one standing in nothing but a towel while a bunch of reporters are throwing Mics in your face.

Jason.....   players standing there with nothing but a towel has been going on since longer than most posters here have been alive.

It was going on in the 90's,  the 80's,  the 70's,   the 60's and on and on and on....    it goes back to the beginning of sports.

And when did this become a problem?       Never!

No one has ever asked for a change until now.     And over what?    One cameraman pointed his camera in the wrong direction.     That's it.

Look,   I get that the media is not a popular group,   but there is not a problem here.

You have a couple of players from one team -- Cincinnati, where the incident occurred -- complaining.    And so far,  that's it!

People in this thread are acting as if there some kind of huge problem going on,  and there simply isn't.

Lol, huge over reaction? I think this debate has been going on for quite some time. There is a workable alternative I'm sure. just because the MEDIA has a time frame isnt a valid reason to do the things that have been going on in these locker rooms.

Where?    With who?

You have a few players on the Bengals, and as best as I've seen so far,  that's it.

And all over one cameraman who accidentally pointed his camera in the wrong direction.

Do you have links to support the idea that the debate has been going on a long time?     Please post those links here,  I'd love to read them....

Where? With who?

You have a few players on the Bengals, and as best as I've seen so far, that's it.

And all over one cameraman who accidentally pointed his camera in the wrong direction.

Do you have links to support the idea that the debate has been going on a long time? Please post those links here, I'd love to read them....

"Bengals offensive tackle Eric Winston, who also serves as the president of the NFL Players Association, says that players have been complaining about the practice for years and that the union and the media should find some "common ground" that would still allow reporters to do their jobs while respecting athletes' privacy."

This suggests that this has been a concern for years. As I said before. It's out dated and unnecessary. With the dozens of ways the media can now communicate with athletes in sure this practice can easily be eliminated

Jason.....   players standing there with nothing but a towel has been going on since longer than most posters here have been alive.

It was going on in the 90's,  the 80's,  the 70's,   the 60's and on and on and on....    it goes back to the beginning of sports.

And when did this become a problem?       Never!

No one has ever asked for a change until now.     And over what?    One cameraman pointed his camera in the wrong direction.     That's it.

Look,   I get that the media is not a popular group,   but there is not a problem here.

You have a couple of players from one team -- Cincinnati, where the incident occurred -- complaining.    And so far,  that's it!

People in this thread are acting as if there some kind of huge problem going on,  and there simply isn't.

I would like to weigh in here.   I  believe it's been a problem with the players for a long time...  And has become more of an issue now due to the wonderful world of Social Media.

I understand the Media need to do their job, but at least have a little decency while doing it.  Certainly interviews could be conducted before entering the locker room.  

I am one that believes the locker room should be limited to players and coaches and team personnel.

Is that too much to ask?  

Or if they decided to interview cheerleaders after the game. Long live the media!

What kind of questions might the cheerleaders be asked?

1. So, what did you think about the other cheerleaders' pyramid?

2. Your squad being out of sync, do you think that had an adverse effect on the team?

3. Do the other cheerleaders ever talk smack to you?

I guess it doesn't really matter what they ask the cheerleaders, I'd still tune in. :)

1. So, what did you think about the other cheerleaders' pyramid?

2. Your squad being out of sync, do you think that had an adverse effect on the team?

I guess it doesn't really matter what they ask the cheerleaders, I'd still tune in. :)

And I'm not disrespecting the cheerleaders here. I know they practice hard. Just wondering what a locker room interview would be like.

1. So, what did you think about the other cheerleaders' pyramid?

haha exactly man, they could be asking them about the turn triple flip sideways back stand and I'd be interested. As a matter of fact, yeah, give us some of that smack talk too. I love drama :P

"Bengals offensive tackle Eric Winston, who also serves as the president of the NFL Players Association, says that players have been complaining about the practice for years and that the union and the media should find some "common ground" that would still allow reporters to do their jobs while respecting athletes' privacy."

This suggests that this has been a concern for years. As I said before. It's out dated and unnecessary. With the dozens of ways the media can now communicate with athletes in sure this practice can easily be eliminated

Yeah.....   I saw that too....    thought it was pretty interesting....

Even more interesting that it had never surfaced before this incident.     I wonder why?

I mean Eric Winston was once the President of the NFLPA.....    why didn't he make this issue a big deal when he was President?

Feels like there are pieces of the puzzle missing here.....

I would like to weigh in here.   I  believe it's been a problem with the players for a long time...  And has become more of an issue now due to the wonderful world of Social Media.

I understand the Media need to do their job, but at least have a little decency while doing it.  Certainly interviews could be conducted before entering the locker room.  

I am one that believes the locker room should be limited to players and coaches and team personnel.

Is that too much to ask?  

I'm not sure I understand your point here.....       Where has social media come into play here?

There was one incident -- one -- a live tv broadcast that made a mistake.      I don't understand the social media reference.

Players want to go the locker-room right after games.    When is there time to do a lot of interviews before then?     We can grab one or two players on the field as they walk to the locker-room,   but those are very quick.      There are tons of interviews to be done.       Where else are interviews going to be done if not in the locker-room.

Well....   locker rooms have been open to the media (during certain designated times,  NOT at all times) since mostly forever.....

The media is part of the process.      We're the eyes and ears of the fans.     The media helps bring the game closer to the fans.

Keeping the media out of the locker rooms is,  IMO,   too much to ask.

But we'll see if it comes to that.

I'd like to add this......   I've been here 3 and a half years....   to the best of my knowledge,  this is the first time this has come up.     I don't see a problem yet there are all sorts of people offering solutions.................    

Have you, personally, ever been in that position?

Have I ever been an athlete standing there mostly naked and been interviewed by the media?

No.     But what has that got to do with it?

It's been happening for decades.    Perhaps nearly a century.       When did this become a problem?

By the way.....   to the players who are uncomfortable.....    do you know what the do?

The media is standing at the locker of player X waiting for him to come out of the shower.   

He comes walking over with a towel draped around himself and he says THIS....

"Hey guys,  give a moment, will ya?"

He then,  puts on his underwear and a t-shirt and then he tells the media he's OK, and he starts his interview while he gets dressed.     But his modesty is protected.

OR...

He hasn't showered yet...   he's still in his uniform.    He stands there and does his interviews while still in uniform.    He might take off some pads, but he's covered.    And the cameras are all pointed up....   from his chest on up....   or it's a tight shot of his face.     That's it.      No cameras are pointed down.

There's no real problem.      There's some outrage over one mistake.      That's it.

And the fans here -- most of whom don't give a rip about the rights of players (see my thread on the NFL page about the NFL's dress code)  have found something they hate more than the players feelings.     They hate the media.      So, suddenly, all sorts of people are siding with the players and against the media over some perceived problem that really isn't.

OK........  

I'm not sure I understand your point here..... Where has social media come into play here?

There was one incident -- one -- a live tv broadcast that made a mistake. I don't understand the social media .

Well it was all over twitter and social media after it was aired. That was my point. It has become a much bigger deal, and more awareness of players complaints due to social media.

Is that explanation more clear?

Well it was all over twitter and social media after it was aired. That was my point. It has become a much bigger deal, and more awareness of players complaints due to social media.

Is that explanation more clear?

Yes....   thanks....    I'm not much of a social media person myself,  so I wasn't following your meaning.....

Much appreciated!        :thmup:

Have I ever been an athlete standing there mostly naked and been interviewed by the media?

It's been happening for decades.    Perhaps nearly a century.       When did this become a problem?

By the way.....   to the players who are uncomfortable.....    do you know what the do?

The media is standing at the locker of player X waiting for him to come out of the shower.   

"Hey guys,  give a moment, will ya?"

He then,  puts on his underwear and a t-shirt and then he tells the media he's OK, and he starts his interview while he gets dressed.     But his modesty is protected.

OR...

He hasn't showered yet...   he's still in his uniform.    He stands there and does his interviews while still in uniform.    He might take off some pads, but he's covered.    And the cameras are all pointed up....   from his chest on up....   or it's a tight shot of his face.     That's it.      No cameras are pointed down.

There's no real problem.      There's some outrage over one mistake.      That's it.

And the fans here -- most of whom don't give a rip about the rights of players (see my thread on the NFL page about the NFL's dress code)  have found something they hate more than the players feelings.     They hate the media.      So, suddenly, all sorts of people are siding with the players and against the media over some perceived problem that really isn't.

OK........  

Such a great post. What most don't comprehend is the media is only a reflection of its consumers. They only "report" on what they know the public wants and social media is not the media at all. It is US setting off viral campaigns and vitriol and then blaming the media. More than 35 percent of all news stories are now created by citizens and that number will grow exponentially in the coming years. So really, more than ever it is US.

The tv channels think it'll keep people more interested if they do halftime interviews? Yeah, no one cares about those except for the media. Viewers will do what they always do - either watch something else for 15 minutes or go get another plate of food

No. But what has that got to do with it?

It's been happening for decades. Perhaps nearly a century. When did this become a problem?

By the way..... to the players who are uncomfortable..... do you know what the do?

"Hey guys, give a moment, will ya?"

He then, puts on his underwear and a t-shirt and then he tells the media he's OK, and he starts his interview while he gets dressed. But his modesty is protected.

OR...

He hasn't showered yet... he's still in his uniform. He stands there and does his interviews while still in uniform. He might take off some pads, but he's covered. And the cameras are all pointed up.... from his chest on up.... or it's a tight shot of his face. That's it. No cameras are pointed down.

There's no real problem. There's some outrage over one mistake. That's it.

And the fans here -- most of whom don't give a rip about the rights of players (see my thread on the NFL page about the NFL's dress code) have found something they hate more than the players feelings. They hate the media. So, suddenly, all sorts of people are siding with the players and against the media over some perceived problem that really isn't.

OK........

As soon as a female reporter files a sexual harassment suit im guessing what you call impossible will become the standard

As soon as a female reporter files a sexual harassment suit im guessing what you call impossible will become the standard

Women have been in locker-rooms for several decades.     Some athletes are jerks about it,  but if the front office finds out that the athlete is giving the female reporter a difficult time,   that athlete will be in deep do-do with this team.

Because if it gets out to the general public that athlete X is giving a female reporter a difficult time,   then the poop hits the fan on a national level.

And no one wants that.

The modern-day athlete should know better than to give a female reporter any grief.     It will only lead to trouble for him....

Women have been in locker-rooms for several decades. Some athletes are jerks about it, but if the front office finds out that the athlete is giving the female reporter a difficult time, that athlete will be in deep do-do with this team.

Because if it gets out to the general public that athlete X is giving a female reporter a difficult time, then the poop hits the fan on a national level.

And no one wants that.

The modern-day athlete should know better than to give a female reporter any grief. It will only lead to trouble for him....

A sexual harassment suit is coming. It's only a matter of time

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/female-sports-reporters-reveal-the-dark-side-to-sport-locker-rooms/story-fno61i58-1227487174921

If I read and understood the story,  the two athletes sexually harassed  university employees,  not the female reporter.

And the person who DID harass the reporter, the alcoholic Athletic Director,  got himself FIRED for doing things like that.     And he DIDN'T harass her in the locker-room,  he harassed her as she tried to get into a taxi...    he may have groped her elsewhere on campus....    but I don't think it happened in the locker-room...    I didn't see that.

But the AD got fired.       Actions had consequences,  what can I tell you?

If I read and understood the story, the two athletes sexually harassed university employees, not the female reporter.

And the person who DID harass the reporter, the alcoholic Athletic Director, got himself FIRED for doing things like that. And he DIDN'T harass her in the locker-room, he harassed her as she tried to get into a taxi... he may have groped her elsewhere on campus.... but I don't think it happened in the locker-room... I didn't see that.

But the AD got fired. Actions had consequences, what can I tell you?

Here is another one

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/08/16/female-sports-reporters-sexual-harassment-norwood-teague-rio-olympics-ryan-seacrest

Now THIS is a story.

THIS has some serious teeth.      I confess, the problem is worse than I would've thought.   I've given too much credit to players, front office staff and owners.

On a personal level I was pleased as I was reading that my journalism instincts were still sharp.    When it talked about steps to take if your a female reporter being harassed,  before I even finished reading the sentence, I was saying (screaming!)  tell the people you work with!    Tell your producers and editors!   And by all means,  document everything.    Absolutely everything.

And I'll tell you what else I'd do....   if I'm running things at Sports Illustrated who published this piece,  I'm sending it to the commissioner of every sports league in the United States.    NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL,  soccer, tennis,  golf,  you name.    And college level too.

And I'm asking them to respond.    I'm telling them that something like this is very likely to be going on in their leagues and WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT.

And I'm telling them I'm giving them X amount of time.    30 days,  60 days,   not sure what is appropriate,   to respond.   And that their response will be published.

The people at S.I. have a big story and they can do something with it.     Now,  lets see what they do....    if anything.

Thanks, JV....    that was a GREAT find.   

A serious (and sad and dark)  story that needs much more of a spotlight.

Where?    With who?

You have a few players on the Bengals, and as best as I've seen so far,  that's it.

Do you have links to support the idea that the debate has been going on a long time?     Please post those links here,  I'd love to read them....

Well, I don't have any links like you want. I have seen it pop up in discussion from time to time. Do you suppose maybe the reason that we don't hear about it more is because the media itself doesn't give it any time.

I don't have any ax to grind. I'm all about getting as much sports coverage as I can but I happen to consider myself to be a reasonable thinking human being and to me it seems absolutely ridiculous to allow TV cameras and recording devices into an area where people are supposed to be disrobing and having some semblance of privacy.

I can't think of anywhere else in society where this is allowed to happen. Personally, if I were a professional athlete, I wouldn't want any outside people in my locker room period.

Well, I don't have any links like you want. I have seen it pop up in discussion from time to time. Do you suppose maybe the reason that we don't hear about it more is because the media itself doesn't give it any time.

I don't have any ax to grind. I'm all about getting as much sports coverage as I can but I happen to consider myself to be a reasonable thinking human being and to me it seems absolutely ridiculous to allow TV cameras and recording devices into an area where people are supposed to be disrobing and having some semblance of privacy.

I can't think of anywhere else in society where this is allowed to happen. Personally, if I were a professional athlete, I wouldn't want any outside people in my locker room period.

Honestly,  I think players want it both ways.

When they don't want the media,  then the media is a royal pain and they should be kicked out or banned.

On the other hand....

When the players do want the media,  for post game interviews or to plug a charity event they're promoting or to help with their branding -- whatever -- then the players can't get enough of the media and welcome them with open arms.

It's been that way for a long, long time.

Honestly,  I think players want it both ways.

When they don't want the media,  then the media is a royal pain and they should be kicked out or banned.

On the other hand....

When the players do want the media,  for post game interviews or to plug a charity event they're promoting or to help with their branding -- whatever -- then the players can't get enough of the media and welcome them with open arms.

It's been that way for a long, long time.

Nail hit on the head

Keeping the media out of the locker rooms is,  IMO,   too much to ask.

Really?   Having an interview room is hard to do?   Seems to me that a structured interview room would make the media coverage even better.  

All I hear you saying is "It's always been done this way".   I work in an industry that has been around for a long time.   We are in a constant fight to improve processes.   Lots of people say "We've always done it like this.   Why change".    The answer is because it can be improved.

Media in the locker rooms is still a silly idea even though it has been done that way for a long time.   Let's interview guys while they are changing clothes.   This seems like a good idea to people?

Easy fix.   Do it in another room.

If you've never personally been in the situation, then I don't think you really have much right saying whether or not the Bengal's player overreacted.  I think that you're looking at this solely from a former media personnel perspective and not looking at it from the perspective of the player.

It's been happening for decades.    Perhaps nearly a century.      When did this become a problem?

There was a time when the same thing could be said for slavery, not giving women any rights etc etc.  Just because something has been done for a long time does not mean it is ok.  Times change, people change and attitudes change.  And it became a problem the first time a player in that position had a problem with it.  

If the players are uncomfortable with the situation then there absolutely is a problem.  I really don't think the outrage is over this one mistake...I think this one mistake was the final straw that broke the camel's back for this particular player and that caused him to finally speak out.

OK........  

Yes, I hate the media, I will grant you that...but my responses in this thread are not driven by my hatred for the media.  Things like this ARE the reason I hate the media.  Getting the story is more important that respecting the privacy of players who are trying to shower and clean up after a hard fought game.  Afraid that waiting will delay a headline or you may miss a story by waiting?  Sorry, but outside of the media not many people are going to give a rat's behind about that.  

By the way, just for a different perspective, putting players in this type of situation where they're undressed to at least some degree but still forced to perform some functions of their job would be most other companies' definition of sexual harassment.  Yes, I know the NFL is not "most companies"...like I said, just trying to give you a different perspective.

And I'm not disrespecting the cheerleaders here. I know they practice hard. Just wondering what a locker room interview would be like.

Probably more entertaining than "How do you feel about losing"?

Ratings-wise, I think the average viewer would watch more of the cheerleaders in towels.

This trash needs to stop as it serves no purpose other than verifying the media in a nosy,self serving,ratings grabbing glob of something nasty stuck on the wall.

That danged media, it's almost like people listen to what they put out, so they supply a product.

That may be true, but I'd certainly like to see stuff like The Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo and locker room interviews go away.

Good luck. "Stupid" media has been around forever. In recent years there's been a huge backlash against mass media, people are freaking out, and it's the popular thing again to talk about the scary evil media. But it's never been any different than it is now.

Good luck. "Stupid" media has been around forever. In recent years there's been a huge backlash against mass media, people are freaking out, and it's the popular thing again to talk about the scary evil media. But it's never been any different than it is now.

It certainty has been much different than it is now. The Internet has changed the entire dynamic of the media. It's a 24/7 cycle now. It used to be the nightly news and the news paper. Deadlines are basically a thing of the past. The news comes out at all hours of the day and night

If you've never personally been in the situation, then I don't think you really have much right saying whether or not the Bengal's player overreacted.  I think that you're looking at this solely from a former media personnel perspective and not looking at it from the perspective of the player.

There was a time when the same thing could be said for slavery, not giving women any rights etc etc.  Just because something has been done for a long time does not mean it is ok.  Times change, people change and attitudes change.  And it became a problem the first time a player in that position had a problem with it.  

If the players are uncomfortable with the situation then there absolutely is a problem.  I really don't think the outrage is over this one mistake...I think this one mistake was the final straw that broke the camel's back for this particular player and that caused him to finally speak out.

Yes, I hate the media, I will grant you that...but my responses in this thread are not driven by my hatred for the media.  Things like this ARE the reason I hate the media.  Getting the story is more important that respecting the privacy of players who are trying to shower and clean up after a hard fought game.  Afraid that waiting will delay a headline or you may miss a story by waiting?  Sorry, but outside of the media not many people are going to give a rat's behind about that.  

By the way, just for a different perspective, putting players in this type of situation where they're undressed to at least some degree but still forced to perform some functions of their job would be most other companies' definition of sexual harassment.  Yes, I know the NFL is not "most companies"...like I said, just trying to give you a different perspective.

I think we're close to beating this horse to death.....

So, I'll toss out my last few points and leave the last word for you...

If this has been such a big deal,  where was this story a month ago?    A year ago?   5 years ago,  10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years?    I mean how far back do you want me to go.     I did a search and all that came up was the incident about a week ago.

And let me add this......   if this was such a big deal,  where are the comments from the other 31 NFL teams?    If players are sincerely bothered, why haven't the player reps for all teams come forward to talk about this?     As far as I can tell, only the Bengals rep has said anything?

Finally.....   if this was such a big deal,  where has DeMaurice Smith, the President of the NFLPA,  been on this?    In the years he's been President, I'm not sure he's said anything about this?     And, as best as I can tell,  he hasn't said anything about this since the recent incident.

Doesn't that pretty much tell you all you need to know.     The players now claim this is a big deal to them......  and history shows that before, and since this incident,  they, and their representatives have said a grand total of...................................    Nothing.

The last word is yours.........

If this has been such a big deal,  where was this story a month ago?    A year ago?   5 years ago,  10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years?    I mean how far back do you want me to go.     I did a search and all that came up was the incident about a week ago.

And let me add this......   if this was such a big deal,  where are the comments from the other 31 NFL teams?    If players are sincerely bothered, why haven't the player reps for all teams come forward to talk about this?     As far as I can tell, only the Bengals rep has said anything?

Finally.....   if this was such a big deal,  where has DeMaurice Smith, the President of the NFLPA,  been on this?    In the years he's been President, I'm not sure he's said anything about this?     And, as best as I can tell,  he hasn't said anything about this since the recent incident.

Doesn't that pretty much tell you all you need to know.     The players now claim this is a big deal to them......  and history shows that before, and since this incident,  they, and their representatives have said a grand total of...................................    Nothing.

I know I'm new here and late to the discussion, but it's not an isolated incident. Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe's privates were broadcast live during a post-game locker room speech by the Vikings owner in 2008. Google it because the link to Deadspin has images that are NSFW.

If this has been such a big deal, where was this story a month ago? A year ago? 5 years ago, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years? I mean how far back do you want me to go. I did a search and all that came up was the incident about a week ago.

And let me add this...... if this was such a big deal, where are the comments from the other 31 NFL teams? If players are sincerely bothered, why haven't the player reps for all teams come forward to talk about this? As far as I can tell, only the Bengals rep has said anything?

Finally..... if this was such a big deal, where has DeMaurice Smith, the President of the NFLPA, been on this? In the years he's been President, I'm not sure he's said anything about this? And, as best as I can tell, he hasn't said anything about this since the recent incident.

Doesn't that pretty much tell you all you need to know. The players now claim this is a big deal to them...... and history shows that before, and since this incident, they, and their representatives have said a grand total of................................... Nothing.

Isn't one player ending up nude on TV and all over social media enough to change this silly "tradition" Had it been Serena Williams the world would be in uproar