Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Randy Moss to retire

Luck for President

Thanks for the memories, Randy.

I had a conversation with a buddy the other day about whether or not Moss was a HoF candidate. I said no because his accomplishments don't validate the honor, despite his amazing talents. The HoF isn't about recognizing raw talent. They already induct people on reputation more than they should.

I had a conversation with a buddy the other day about whether or not Moss was a HoF candidate. I said no because his accomplishments don't validate the honor, despite his amazing talents. The HoF isn't about recognizing raw talent. They already induct people on reputation more than they should.

He's going to the HALL

Really thought he had one last great year left in him

Randy Moss will forever remind me of the crazy hot girl who everyone wants to hook up with and whom people will say anything to in order to hook-up with - and during the honey moon period she is absolutely amazing

...but after awhile she will get needy and start whining to you that you don't love her enough and take her for granted and that she wants to settle down with you and starts becoming psychotic and scaring you off from wanting to settle down with her

Then at some point she'll either dump you or cheat on another guy and go through the same highs and subsequent lows with them before realizing how much happier she was with you and tell you how much she misses you and still loves you

...except at that point you've already moved on but still fondly remember the awesome times you had with her before she went nuts and occasionally even wonder what it might've been with her but you realize you did the right thing

Respectfully have to disagree with you there - individually he was one of the most DOMINANT receivers the game has ever seen. For the short time he was with the Vikings he absolutely DOMINATED the game and gave defensive coordinators nightmares and had some amazing play-off games early in his career

Unfortunately, the mid-part of his career was wasted in Oakland but he had 3 quality seasons with New England where he showed maturity, leadership and was instrumental (arguably the most singularly important) in the Patriots historic year, seizing the TD receptions record and helping the team to 16-0.

His "accomplishments" merely lack a ring - he is second all time in TD receptions to the great Jerry Rice, owns the single-season TD receptions record (don't mention Rice getting 22TDs in a strike-shortened season against scrubs and replacement players) and for a period was single-handedly the most dominant receiver the game has ever seen. I think individual accomplishments-wise he is a shoe-in / no-brainer

Respectfully have to disagree with you there - individually he was one of the most DOMINANT receivers the game has ever seen. For the short time he was with the Vikings he absolutely DOMINATED the game and gave defensive coordinators nightmares and had some amazing play-off games early in his career

Unfortunately, the mid-part of his career was wasted in Oakland but he had 3 quality seasons with New England where he showed maturity, leadership and was instrumental (arguably the most singularly important) in the Patriots historic year, seizing the TD receptions record and helping the team to 16-0.

His "accomplishments" merely lack a ring - he is second all time in TD receptions to the great Jerry Rice, owns the single-season TD receptions record (don't mention Rice getting 22TDs in a strike-shortened season against scrubs and replacement players) and for a period was single-handedly the most dominant receiver the game has ever seen. I think individual accomplishments-wise he is a shoe-in / no-brainer

You make some darn good points, same thing my buddy was sayin. BUT....catching a bunch of TD's doesn't make a HoF player. I think it would cheapen the Hall. I do think he is one of the most dominant receivers to ever play, however, his career was mired by conflict and periods of stagnation.

Really thought he had one last great year left in him

Randy Moss will forever remind me of the crazy hot girl who everyone wants to hook up with and whom people will say anything to in order to hook-up with - and during the honey moon period she is absolutely amazing

...but after awhile she will get needy and start whining to you that you don't love her enough and take her for granted and that she wants to settle down with you and starts becoming psychotic and scaring you off from wanting to settle down with her

Then at some point she'll either dump you or cheat on another guy and go through the same highs and subsequent lows with them before realizing how much happier she was with you and tell you how much she misses you and still loves you

...except at that point you've already moved on but still fondly remember the awesome times you had with her before she went nuts and occasionally even wonder what it might've been with her but you realize you did the right thing

This post wins.

I certainly think Moss will be a HOFer, he had incredible numbers and is definitely one of the top WRs of all time. His off-field stuff won't help, but he deserves the HOF

You make some darn good points, same thing my buddy was sayin. BUT....catching a bunch of TD's doesn't make a HoF player. I think it would cheapen the Hall. I do think he is one of the most dominant receivers to ever play, however, his career was mired by conflict and periods of stagnation.

Hehe, some reason this reminds me of Buddy Ryan's infamous quote on Cris Carter (ironically Moss's mentor) "All he does is catch touchdowns"

In a way, his career reminds me a little of Kurt Warner's in that he exploded on the league, got injured, had some washed-up years in relative anonymity but then blossomed again later to recapture his earlier success.

I think questions of his character and attitude will forever plague his legacy, but in my humble opinion, not barriers to entry into the HoF - the Hall is for players who were the best at their position and accomplished things on the field, something Randy Moss was and has done (he retires top 10 in almost every category).

The game has never seen a freak of his ability and for a 6 year period, he absolutely destroyed the league

catching a ton of touchdowns as a receiver will def get u into the hof. i don't like the guy, but any talk of moss not deserving the hof is kinda foolish imo.

DOESNT HAVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS, well I disagree my good man...: Moss holds the NFL single season touchdown reception record (23, set in 2007), and the NFL single-season touchdown reception record for a rookie (17, in 1998)....Parade Magazine named him to their annual All-American high school football team in 1995[3] and in 2009 named him one of the 50 greatest high school football players of all time.[4]...In 1996, he set the NCAA Division I-AA records for most games with a touchdown catch in a season (14), most consecutive games with a touchdown catch (13), most touchdown passes caught in a season (28 – tying Jerry Rice's 1984 record), and most receiving yards gained by a freshman in a season (1709 on 78 catches), a record which still stands....In 1997 Moss caught 25 touchdown passes that season, at the time a Division I-A record, and was a first-team All-American.[11]...Moss finished his career at Marshall having scored at least one touchdown in all 28 games that he played.[13] He won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the nation's leading wide receiver, and was a finalist for the 1997 Heisman Trophy (finishing fourth in the balloting, behind Ryan Leaf, Peyton Manning, and Charles Woodson, who won the award).

...In 1998, Moss helped the Vikings to become the number one-ranked offense, scoring a then-NFL record 556 points...At the end of the 1998 regular season, Moss was named a Pro Bowl starter and NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year for his rookie-record 17 touchdown receptions and the third highest receiving yardage (1,313) total..In 1999, Moss had another impressive season, catching 80 passes for 1,413 yards and 11 touchdowns...Moss earned his second straight Pro Bowl appearance, and turned in a record breaking performance. He had 9 receptions for a Pro Bowl record 212 yards and was given the games Most Valuable Player award.....2000 Moss finished the season with a career high 1,437 yards and league leading 15 touchdown catches. In doing so, he became the youngest and faster player to ever catch over 3,000 yards and 45 touchdowns, earning him his 3rd consecutive trip to the pro bowl, and 2nd selection to the All Pro team....2003 he became the second wide receiver in history (behind Jerry Rice in 1995) to play more than 12 games (he played 16) while averaging over 100 yards and one touchdown per contest. He finished with 111 receptions for 1,632 yards and 17 touchdowns. All three numbers either tied or became a new personal best...Moss made the Pro Bowl five times in his seven-year career with the Minnesota Vikings (1998–2000, 2002, and 2003)...2007 Moss recorded 98 catches for 1,493 yards in 2007, the highest yardage total in Patriots franchise history and the third-highest total number of catches,and made to probowl...In 2008, Moss hauled in 69 catches for 1,008 yards and 11 touchdowns despite losing quarterback Tom Brady in the first quarter of the season...2009 The touchdown reception was the 140th of his career, which moved him into a tie for 2nd place with Terrell Owens and he now only trails Jerry Rice who has 197...he became just the 11th player in NFL history with 900+ receptions and the 7th player to reach 14,000+ career receiving yards...He finished the season with 83 receptions for 1,264 yards and 13 touchdowns. He was named to the 2010 Pro Bowl.

Ok enough said, He is a first balleter. No doubt. Only reason he might have to wait it out till a second ballet is because he had off the field issues.

That happens a lot, but I usually see it the other way around. Before Michael Jackson died, everyone was all up in his business about the kids and all that stuff. Then he died and people commented on how great and talented he was as a musician and dancer and practically forgot about the accusations.

Ok enough said, He is a first balleter. No doubt. Only reason he might have to wait it out till a second ballet is because he had off the field issues.

There are a lot of great receivers waiting to get into the Hall, guys like Chris Carter, Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown, Andre Reed and soon, Terrell Owens. It's just tough to get into the Hall as a WR, especially right now with the backlog of guys waiting. While Moss's numbers are better than Carter's and Brown's, he has played in an era of unprecedented passing numbers. Those guys didn't benefit from the explosion in the passing game over the past 6 seasons. Heck, guys like Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, who put up some great numbers in their own right, probably won't ever get in.

I would guess that Randy has to wait a year or 2 before he gets in. His off-the-field issues will hold him back some in the eyes of voters.

catching a ton of touchdowns as a receiver will def get u into the hof. i don't like the guy, but any talk of moss not deserving the hof is kinda foolish imo.

Most people point to his off the field issues, but if the HOF is going to start being about morality I bet you most of them should come out of there. We all know if morality plays a part we need to be pulling OJ out immediately.

The most disappointing thing about Moss is he could have easily been the GOAT. If he had the work effort of say TO with his raw talent he would have easily gone down as the GOAT.

Even when he was on the Pats I just loved watching the guy. He made it look so effortless out there and made it look like he was a man playing with boys. I remember one TD catch he had the defenders where running close to him to tackle him and then its like Randy decided to stop toying with them and just blew their doors off.3

There is no question that Randy Moss is a future Hall of Famer. The guy is one of the best WRs to ever play the game.

Does Irsay read these threads? The only place I've heard about Moss to the Colts is on here...

Moss even at age 34 can still take the top off any defense. The only reason his production has dropped is because he demands so much attention.

Colts have not had a true deep threat since the departure of M. Harrison #88.

Without the a deep threat, Corners will always play off and sqwat on the underneath stuff they can take more risk.