Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian on what's wrong with the Colts

GoColts8818

It really underscores the need for some kind of developmental league, or some big changes to rosters/practice squad rules to allow teams to develop players.

A developmental league would be SUPER expensive, but they really should partner more with the CFL, and expand their rosters and loosen their practice squad and IR rules so that players can be developed more effectively and for a longer period of time.

There are players in camp each year that might not be ready right now, but would benefit from sticking with the team for a year or two. Not project players either, just fringe roster kind of guys. Rather than exposing them to waivers and then they go to a different team for three weeks before they get waived and wind up somewhere else -- rookies that haven't made any real money so far, by the way -- let them stick on a roster for a while. 

With these significant increases in the cap (and more to come), they can make room for another 10 roster spots per team at a reduced rate. And the NFL can afford to contribute to the CFL's development costs and whatnot. It seems natural to me.

A developmental league would be SUPER expensive, but they really should partner more with the CFL, and expand their rosters and loosen their practice squad and IR rules so that players can be developed more effectively and for a longer period of time.

There are players in camp each year that might not be ready right now, but would benefit from sticking with the team for a year or two. Not project players either, just fringe roster kind of guys. Rather than exposing them to waivers and then they go to a different team for three weeks before they get waived and wind up somewhere else -- rookies that haven't made any real money so far, by the way -- let them stick on a roster for a while.

With these significant increases in the cap (and more to come), they can make room for another 10 roster spots per team at a reduced rate. And the NFL can afford to contribute to the CFL's development costs and whatnot. It seems natural to me.

Well...the NFL would rather spend money on trying to get the world to play football when only 5% of the world can afford soccer cleats. What makes them think they will be able to even buy all the equipment, buy headsets, etc.. LOL!

So if your Oline sucks, u call plays that fit your offense so that you move the ball UP the field, instead of going backwards like we are doing. Not everyone can have the talent level as a Dallas, but you still have to have the right approach, even if that means throwing your game plan in the garbage if it doesn't work...

I agree that the playcalling needs to improve.  I'm just explaining what Polian meant

I don't think Grigs will be forced to do that next year in the draft. By the time we get to that point my suspicion is Denzelle Goode should be groomed enough to take over the right tackle spot. That will mean Mewhort can be moved back to left guard. We will still have Costanzo and Holmes so what you are really looking at is a guard in the draft and Grigs has already proven you can find a quality guard outside of the first round. So for example if a higher rated CB on the Colts board is there in the first round I'd go with the BPA CB and find the guard at another point in the draft. Whoever the highest rated player on the COLTS BOARD is then you take that player or maybe trade down to get more picks if the BPA is at a position you absolutely don't need. For the colts that would be Quarterback for example.

He then talked about other QBs struggling because of poor o-line play.  He went on to say that the league is facing an o-line crisis because there just aren't enough good ones in the NFL and o-linemen aren't being developed.  He said if the league doesn't correct this problem we are going to see far more of back up QBs across the board than we want to see. 

Good point, and it's already beginning to happen. RGIII out, Drew Brees out, Tony Romo out, Geno Smith (okay, I'll forgive the o-line on that one, lulz), out. We're not even in the winter months yet where injuries get even worse. Today's NFL linemen don't know how to block! Unless they're on the Patriots, then they give Brady 20 seconds to throw.

We're very fortunate Luck hasn't been injured yet. The guy is a real fighter.

I don't think Grigs will be forced to do that next year in the draft. By the time we get to that point my suspicion is Denzelle Goode should be groomed enough to take over the right tackle spot. That will mean Mewhort can be moved back to left guard. We will still have Costanzo and Holmes so what you are really looking at is a guard in the draft and Grigs has already proven you can find a quality guard outside of the first round. So for example if a higher rated CB on the Colts board is there in the first round I'd go with the BPA CB and find the guard at another point in the draft. Whoever the highest rated player on the COLTS BOARD is then you take that player or maybe trade down to get more picks if the BPA is at a position you absolutely don't need. For the colts that would be Quarterback for example.

mewhort is not moving back to lg unless he sucks at rt

mewhort is not moving back to lg unless he sucks at rt

Why would we draft a tackle or take a natural tackle like Goode who really has no history at guard and move them to guard just to leave Mewhort at tackle? Mewhort can play both positions adequately so it would make more sense to take the versatile player and move him back inside. To me moving somebody like Good inside is about like putting Cherilus at guard. Not the best fit. And again this all assumes Good becomes what I think he is