Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grantland: What's Wrong with the Colts?

bababooey

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tales-from-monday-night-luck-struggles-jets-soar/

What it comes down to in the long run with Indianapolis, as always, is Luck. The Colts are blessed with one of the best quarterbacks in football, and he’s going to face a much easier slate of pass defenses the rest of the way. Even if Pagano’s defense struggles or Grigson’s signings and draft picks miss badly, Luck should be able to carry the Colts forward. As long as he stays healthy and the rest of the division doesn’t get drastically better, Indianapolis should be a competitive football team. It’s been the case for three years now, and we should be comfortable dealing with it, even after another 0-2 start.

Click to read more.

Yes. We'll be ok and still win 10 games or more. We definitely have some issues, but we're not looking an awful team guys. And I hate to make excuses, but he's right. We have played two of the top 5 defenses in the NFL to start out, and the Jets corners may be the best in the league. Revis is the best CB in the league, Cromartie is really good, and Buster Skrine is underrated as hell. Wait til Milliner comes back. I still think he's going to be good.

Yes. We'll be ok and still win 10 games or more. We definitely have some issues, but we're not looking an awful team guys. And I hate to make excuses, but he's right. We have played two of the top 5 defenses in the NFL to start out, and the Jets corners may be the best in the league. Revis is the best CB in the league, Cromartie is really good, and Buster Skrine is underrated as hell. Wait til Milliner comes back. I still think he's going to be good.

The defensive line look pretty good but we have to get some healthy defensive backs in the lineup. Not too sure about the offensive line but hopefully they can play better with time.

This paragraph disgusts me: 

"Even if the fumble and red zone stuff isn’t likely to recur, there’s a good chance the Jets are going to have a stout defense this season. The same is true of the Bills, who gave Luck and the Colts fits in Week 1. Do you know who isn’t likely to be quite as good on defense the rest of the season? The rest of the AFC South, and that’s who the Colts play over the next three weeks. If you’re looking for a reason to be positive about the Colts, that’s a good place to start." 

Why? Because it's a cream puff excuse. The AFC South is a weak division opponent wise & we will be fine. Look, in the playoffs things get tighter, windows get smaller, & defenses are coming to symbolically decapitate your QB. If INDY can't hang with the big dogs like NE, Pittsburgh, & Dallas, I really don't wanna be in the playoffs until we start drafting linemen in the 1st round. Luck has sad protection up front & our RBs need room to work.

What the hades does Pagano mean Luck should be used to pressure by now? What's Irsay paying you for Chuck? Enlighten me please. SMH.   

I said this to krunk awhile back. As much as I hate Dallas, their Championship run in the early 90's taught me 1 thing: A superior o-line will open up everything: RB holes to fly thru, a rested & renewed defense,  time for your QB to pick the secondary apart, & usually you win the time of possession stat with long, methodical drives. 

Why bring in Andre Johnson & draft Phillip Dorsett if Andrew can't get them the ball because he's on his back staring at LOS's rafters man? Look, I love this team & I will ride with the blue horseshoe no matter what, but I can't lie to myself anymore. In the next few seasons, all I wanna Goodell say over & over again is INDY selects linemen blank over & over again.

If we faced AZ in the SB, Luck would be scrambling for his life man everybody knows this. INDY will get knocked out early in the playoffs because Andrew is always be rushed. We have no clean pocket period.   

Yes. We'll be ok and still win 10 games or more. We definitely have some issues, but we're not looking an awful team guys. And I hate to make excuses, but he's right. We have played two of the top 5 defenses in the NFL to start out, and the Jets corners may be the best in the league. Revis is the best CB in the league, Cromartie is really good, and Buster Skrine is underrated as hell. Wait til Milliner comes back. I still think he's going to be good.

I don't think it's the fact that we played a top 5 defense or better 2 games in a row, it's the fact the coaches did nothing to adjust to what happened to them from the first game. Elite pass rush to Lick, Luck looks for the 20 yard pass play.

How many screens, passes in the flats, quick slants, stacked receiver sets or TE tosses do we utilize? We ran several go routes, come backs and deep crossing routes though.

From the article:

Every quarterback plays worse under pass pressure. Much worse, actually. And Luck is no exception. One again, Pagano is right: Luck has been pressured a lot, but it shouldn’t be anything new. He is being pressured at about exactly the same rate as in years past, but the difference is that he’s playing worse just about across the board, regardless of whether he’s under attack:

Year        QBR, Non-Pressured    Rank   Pressure Rate   Rank     QBR, Pressured    Rank2012-2014         80.7             13       26.7%         25         13.2            72015              70.9             22       28.7%         22         1.3            28

This is what I've been saying. I don't want to hear about how he has David Carr syndrome. He doesn't. The protection needs to be better, but he can play better under pressure. We know this for a fact. He can play better without pressure.

"Even if the fumble and red zone stuff isn’t likely to recur, there’s a good chance the Jets are going to have a stout defense this season. The same is true of the Bills, who gave Luck and the Colts fits in Week 1. Do you know who isn’t likely to be quite as good on defense the rest of the season? The rest of the AFC South, and that’s who the Colts play over the next three weeks. If you’re looking for a reason to be positive about the Colts, that’s a good place to start." 

Why? Because it's a cream puff excuse. The AFC South is a weak division opponent wise & we will be fine. Look, in the playoffs things get tighter, windows get smaller, & defenses are coming to symbolically decapitate your QB. If INDY can't hang with the big dogs like NE, Pittsburgh, & Dallas, I really don't wanna be in the playoffs until we start drafting linemen in the 1st round. Luck has sad protection up front & our RBs need room to work.

What the hades does Pagano mean Luck should be used to pressure by now? What's Irsay paying you for Chuck? Enlighten me please. SMH.   

I said this to krunk awhile back. As much as I hate Dallas, their Championship run in the early 90's taught me 1 thing: A superior o-line will open up everything: RB holes to fly thru, a rested & renewed defense,  time for your QB to pick the secondary apart, & usually you win the time of possession stat with long, methodical drives. 

Why bring in Andre Johnson & draft Phillip Dorsett if Andrew can't get them the ball because he's on his back staring at LOS's rafters man? Look, I love this team & I will ride with the blue horseshoe no matter what, but I can't lie to myself anymore. In the next few seasons, all I wanna Goodell say over & over again is INDY selects linemen blank over & over again.

If we faced AZ in the SB, Luck would be scrambling for his life man everybody knows this. INDY will get knocked out early in the playoffs because Andrew is always be rushed. We have no clean pocket period.   

as bad as our o-line is pep should be able to design plays with a 3 step drop to help stop all the holding

I heard on Sirius NFL radio today Tom Brady`s average time from snap of ball to release this season has been 1.9 seconds. They put pressure on a defense. The Colts offense has not. Why are they throwing a pass to Joe Reitz down inside the 10 yard line when they have a whole arsenal of receivers? Too much "cuteness" and making things hard on themselves. Too many plays that take too long to develop with the O line we have. The run game is more than adequate, use it. Where are the check downs to Gore? Its all fundementals

I heard on Sirius NFL radio today Tom Brady`s average time from snap of ball to release this season has been 1.9 seconds. They put pressure on a defense. The Colts offense has not. Why are they throwing a pass to Joe Reitz down inside the 10 yard line when they have a whole arsenal of receivers? Too much "cuteness" and making things hard on themselves. Too many plays that take too long to develop with the O line we have. The run game is more than adequate, use it. Where are the check downs to Gore? Its all fundementals

So true. O line should pick up more blitzes. And WRs shall find separation.