Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter Clears Waviers.

RealityIsLuck

A team does not lose draft picks on waiver signings.

Saying Carter had a better preseason is a bit of a stretch. He had more opportunities than Whalen who is a known entity and they wanted to see what Carter could do. Apparently they were not in love with his skills - if you have seen him play at all, why would anyone be in love with him. He was remarkably underwhelming.

And why minimize ST's? That is a very important part of the game and Whalen was decidedly better there. At the bottom of the roster guys make the team based on ST's.

And part of Grigson's job is roster management - they took a calculated gamble that Carter would be there after waivers and now they can keep the guy they wanted on the 53 in Whalen and get Carter on the PS where he can further develop. Kind of a shrewd move.

He can now be signed to anyone's PS. The PS has certain salary limitations but I believe a team can pay more if interested in keeping. Further, once a player is on the PS and another teams signs him, he has to be on their active 53 man roster for at least 3 games.

Thanks

A receiver that size should dominate physically.

If that's all you need then i think every team would have 2. There are a few players every year released to the PS. He was at a very deep position, so developing him in one preseason wasn't necessary. We kicked the tires to make sure our investment was solid, but he's where he should be right now. I can't blame the rich kid he's not ready to get big & take someone's job yet. Due time.  

I just think Carter deserves a spot on the 53over Whalen . He had a better preseason than him

Only thing Whalen has over Carter is Special Teams

What did Carter do to earn a roster spot ? Even his best game in pre season all he showed was how far he is from being ready for NFL action . I know with a game on the line I am with the coaches I'll take Whalen and it's a easy choice . Do you really want to put faith in a guy that is confused by basic NFL D and keeps running the wrong routes ? That is the difference in turnover or TDs I will take TDs every time .

Carter is good. He just needs someone to take him out back to the woodshed to toughen him up. A receiver that size should dominate physically.

He doesn't have great strength.  He needs to spend some time in the weight room...and then work on his route running and breaking-open moves. He should be a good player for us...and may need to prove it sooner than later if/when Andre gets hurt.