Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could have did the same trade Minnesota gave the Patriots (maybe even have gotten another low pick), which would have given us pick #52 ... Warford went at #65 + given us more picks .... instead we have Werner.

Werner was an attempt to improve the pass rush with an aging Mathis.......

Give the front office some credit.... they were trying

...... its that Hindsight thing.......

However, and again, I will get booed on this board if I show a little optimism, I think Werner will develop into a good football player.

He doesnt have a passrushers speed or moves but I think he can develop into a decent LB on the strong side

We will see

Werner was an attempt to improve the pass rush with an aging Mathis.......

Give the front office some credit.... they were trying

...... its that Hindsight thing.......

However, and again, I will get booed on this board if I show a little optimism, I think Werner will develop into a good football player.

He doesnt have a passrushers speed or moves but I think he can develop into a decent LB on the strong side

We will see

This is the NFL, you don't get credit for trying.

This is the NFL, you don't get credit for trying.

Actually.......  You get credit for winning

This team has won....  Last I looked, they improved every year the last 3 years

One game from the SB.......

When you win.... you get the benefit of the doubt........

This front office deserves the benefit of the doubt

They have made some good decisions and they have made some bad ones....

(Please show me a front office that has been perfect in every decision)

Rehashing and continuing the shoulda coulda woulda stuff, from 3 years ago....(Like we are all some great talent evaluators)  .....without at least recognizing the successes is a little bit one sided, dont you think?

There are 26 (or so) other teams that wish that they had OUR........ HORRIBLE problems.............

I always assumed it was the owners who put the word out not to draft Collins. Some GM's would draft a serial killer if he could play.

I don't disagree.  I mean, maybe not a confirmed  killer or a guy who is heavily implicated in a violent crime.  And even then some guys get passes.  Ray Lewis for instance.  I'm not saying he did it or that his group even killed the guy, it doesn't matter.  He was heavily implicated in that crime and regardless of the charges being dropped in exchange for a plea, his name will always be associated with the death of those 2 guys.  Yet, he finished out his career without issue.  The Ravens basically believed Lewis that he was in the wrong place at teh wrong time.  Granted, he was already on their payroll, but their rationale for keeping him would have been the same as the Colts had they drafted him.  At that low a pick, the risk was worth it in my eyes.

Actually.......  You get credit for winning

This team has won....  Last I looked, they improved every year the last 3 years

One game from the SB.......

When you win.... you get the benefit of the doubt........

This front office deserves the benefit of the doubt

They have made some good decisions and they have made some bad ones....

(Please show me a front office that has been perfect in every decision)

Rehashing and continuing the shoulda coulda woulda stuff, from 3 years ago....(Like we are all some great talent evaluators)  .....without at least recognizing the successes is a little bit one sided, dont you think?

There are 26 (or so) other teams that wish that they had OUR........ HORRIBLE problems.............

Didn't you know? 31 teams have HOFers at every position except the Colts!

I never claimed I knew more than Grigson. I simply named a couple lineman that were available that he could have drafted. But if you wanna hit the archives I'm on the first page of the TRich trade thread saying how horrible the trade was. I also defended the Vontae Davis trade as a no brainer. Me is brilliant

People really need to stop being so uptight about people questioning the moves of a guy that gets paid millions to make personnel decisions. It comes with the territory and that's half the fun of sports.

People also need to stop using 20/20 hindsight in nitpicking what is not an easy thing to do. If Grigson and Pagano don't get the job done Irsay will fire them. Then maybe posters can use that same hindsight discussing which GM and Head Coach Irsay should have hired. I am just not sure what the point of doing that is, other than the obvious.

Yeah Grigson is terrible. I read a stat yesterday that said only like 13% of the snaps played on defense last season were by drafted defenders.

That is comically ridiculous.

For what it is worth, one of my co-workers is an Eagles fan. He said Grigson is messing it up much like he did with the Eagles. That was just a blanket statement without much detail that he was making. But unfortunately, it is a results oriented business and if the results are not there, there is only so much you can defend Grigson when it is all said and done. 

For what it is worth, one of my co-workers is an Eagles fan. He said Grigson is messing it up much like he did with the Eagles. That was just a blanket statement without much detail that he was making. But unfortunately, it is a results oriented business and if the results are not there, there is only so much you can defend Grigson when it is all said and done. 

Except for the part where Grigson wasn't the GM in Philly and only had so much input and control.

It shows one of the many ways he sucks at his job.

Or it shows that he's spent the bulk of the draft picks he's had so far on trying to build an offense, while using Free Agency to temporarily keep the defense afloat until they can start building that as well.  It's not his fault the NFL didn't award him double the draft picks to fix the horrible roster he acquired. 

It shows one of the many ways he sucks at his job.

Because in three years, he hadn't drafted a lot of defensive players? How is that relevant? Knock his drafting, but that's really a nonsensical argument.

Defensive contributors in 2014 that Grigson didn't draft include Davis, Freeman, Walden, Toler, Butler, and others. So they don't count because they weren't drafted?

Or it shows that he's spent the bulk of the draft picks he's had so far on trying to build an offense, while using Free Agency to temporarily keep the defense afloat until they can start building that as well.  It's not his fault the NFL didn't award him double the draft picks to fix the horrible roster he acquired. 

It is his fault that he didn't use the picks he had as effectively as possible, but saying 'only 13% of defensive snaps were by drafted players' is entirely different. 

It is his fault that he didn't use the picks he had as effectively as possible, but saying 'only 13% of defensive snaps were by drafted players' is entirely different. 

Of course it is.  However, what GM does use every pick as effectively as possible?  Main point was, since day one, he's obviously focused on building the offense through the draft first

Because in three years, he hadn't drafted a lot of defensive players? How is that relevant? Knock his drafting, but that's really a nonsensical argument.

Defensive contributors in 2014 that Grigson didn't draft include Davis, Freeman, Walden, Toler, Butler, and others. So they don't count because they weren't drafted?

Don't count towards what? Grigson is incapable of drafting players who contribute on defense. All of them are bad with the exception of Newsome. And Newsome is only ok.

Or it shows that he's spent the bulk of the draft picks he's had so far on trying to build an offense, while using Free Agency to temporarily keep the defense afloat until they can start building that as well. It's not his fault the NFL didn't award him double the draft picks to fix the horrible roster he acquired.

He would have had a few more draft picks to use had he not traded them away for guys like Trent Richardson, and Montori Hughes.

Also, lol at him waiting four seasons to "start building the defense"

He would have had a few more draft picks to use had he not traded them away for guys like Trent Richardson, and Montori Hughes.

Grigson traded away a draft pick for Trent Richardson???  This is the first I'm hearing of this!

No he didn't. Richardson was benched in 2013 and 2014. And it's interesting that a coaching decision is being credited to the GM.

He was benched way after it was apparent that he was totally ineffective. And then he started the entire 2014 season (with the exception of the last few games, but was still getting carries).

And I fully believe it was Grigson's decision to continue to start Richardson.

Yeah and then started him for two seasons despite total ineffectiveness in an attempt to save face.

To be fair, no one on the roster was really that much better than TRich due to injuries (Bradshaw, Ballard).  TRich had so much potential, can't just give up on that in 1 year.  I will claim I was stoked when we first got him, then it dragged that they needed to replace him, but hard to do mid 2nd season.  He kept showing flashes of talent when in space, but couldn't get out from behind the line due to horrid vision.

Boom is pretty hyped due to being the replacement to TRich that everyone wanted, but really not that dynamic.  He seems like a James Mungro 2.0, a solid filler that has no flash.

To be fair, no one on the roster was really that much better than TRich due to injuries (Bradshaw, Ballard). TRich had so much potential, can't just give up on that in 1 year. I will claim I was stoked when we first got him, then it dragged that they needed to replace him, but hard to do mid 2nd season. He kept showing flashes of talent when in space, but couldn't get out from behind the line due to horrid vision.

Boom is pretty hyped due to being the replacement to TRich that everyone wanted, but really not that dynamic. He seems like a James Mungro 2.0, a solid filler that has no flash.

Literally every RB who touched the ball was better than Richardson was. Every single one. Even Tashard Choice looks better on his like 3 carries.

Any proof that Grigson determines who starts and who doesn't?

There is really no point in extending Pagano if Grigson is making those decisions.

Don't count towards what? Grigson is incapable of drafting players who contribute on defense. All of them are bad with the exception of Newsome. And Newsome is only ok.

Through 2014, Grigson had 22 draft picks. He selected 6 defensive players. Three of them were in the 6th round or later.

How do you figure a guy who was drafted in the 5th round, ahead of where many thought he'd go,  and who tied for the LEAD in rookie sacks is.....  OK....?!?

If you liked Grigson,  you'd be raving about Newsome,  or certainly rating him higher than OK....

He was benched way after it was apparent that he was totally ineffective. And then he started the entire 2014 season (with the exception of the last few games, but was still getting carries).

Even if it was,  it was the right decision.

Who else was capable of the lead role for the entire regular season?

Bradshaw kept getting hurt.     Brown had shown he's best as a back-up.     Boom had a base case of the fumbles.

TRich was the guy........  and if you'll remember,  TRich was removed as the starter both seasons in the playoffs.    Also the right decision.

He was in a timeshare most of 2014, and was only after Bradshaw got hurt that his effectiveness fell off a cliff, and from that point he was used less. He got fewer than 40% of snaps in the last five weeks of the season. He was never good, but he wasn't awful in the first half of the season.

How do you figure a guy who was drafted in the 5th round, ahead of where many thought he'd go, and who tied for the LEAD in rookie sacks is..... OK....?!?

If you liked Grigson, you'd be raving about Newsome, or certainly rating him higher than OK....

Sacks aren't everything. A lot of them were unblocked. Good PRP, but he is very one dimensional.

Even if it was, it was the right decision.

Who else was capable of the lead role for the entire regular season?

Bradshaw kept getting hurt. Brown had shown he's best as a back-up. Boom had a base case of the fumbles.

TRich was the guy........ and if you'll remember, TRich was removed as the starter both seasons in the playoffs. Also the right decision.

Boom obviously.

He was in a timeshare most of 2014, and was only after Bradshaw got hurt that his effectiveness fell off a cliff, and from that point he was used less. He got fewer than 40% of snaps in the last five weeks of the season. He was never good, but he wasn't awful in the first half of the season.

He was always awful.