Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How the Bryant/Thomas contracts might impact TY Hilton's....

NewColtsFan

I honestly firmly believe T.Y. is worth more than 8 mil.  like i said earlier 12-12.5 is my estimation.  The question is this:  Does the brass believe they can pay him that $$ and still keep one of the TE's, AC, and Luck?  If no, then perhaps a tag, or...we may have to let him go.  But i really see a tag atleast for a year.  Just to keep him around and not have to eat Money that year to sign the other guys we need.  

I fully agree we should not spoil the main course because we have an entree that fills too much of the plate.

-but man it would be nice to have all we want, and eat it too-

Tagging a player doesn't make it easier to keep your other free agents. It actually makes it harder.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take your Braxton Miller & raise you 1 Terrelle Pryor LHOC.  haha

http://www.stack.com/2015/07/23/terrelle-pryor-transition-to-wr/

In all seriousness, this Oakland experiment does intrigue me. If former Vikings, Patriots, & Raiders WR Randy Moss is mentoring Mr. Pryor, this transition might actually work. 

So much depends on how much Luck will demand. And THEN AC....... these 2 are priorities.

I just don't see it ... I hope they keep him but like I said earlier. If Moncrief and Dorset play well TY will be very expendable. Who kno'sws? I just know overpaying WR's is not a good thing.

Oh and Gavin. How many times did Indy throw the ball last year vs Dallas? Just saying

What does Luck throwing 22 times vs Dallas having to do with Hilton getting paid? Hilton did not play in that game

Tagging a player doesn't make it easier to keep your other free agents. It actually makes it harder.

I understand that.....

But if the choice is the Colts let TYH walk out the door and get nothing in return or keep him one more year on a tag,  I think we go for the tag.

As difficult as that might be,  at least it's only for one year.     Call it the lesser of two evils....

I understand that.....

But if the choice is the Colts let TYH walk out the door and get nothing in return or keep him one more year on a tag,  I think we go for the tag.

As difficult as that might be,  at least it's only for one year.     Call it the lesser of two evils....

depends on what happens with Castonzo. I think he's a bigger priority. If they have to tag him then Hilton can't be tagged.

depends on what happens with Castonzo. I think he's a bigger priority. If they have to tag him then Hilton can't be tagged.

Agreed.......   but I expect the Colts to get a deal done with Castonzo....

I agree he's the priority,  but I also think he'll be more reasonable.    Once that deal gets done,  then the tag will be available to Hilton.  

That's my hope at least.....

I understand that.....

I'm right there with you. Was just responding to the idea that tagging Hilton would be a tool for cap management so we could sign the other free agents. Tagging one of the TEs would be more beneficial from a cap management standpoint.

Agreed.......   but I expect the Colts to get a deal done with Castonzo....

I agree he's the priority,  but I also think he'll be more reasonable.    Once that deal gets done,  then the tag will be available to Hilton.  

That's my hope at least.....

It would make life easier if the Colts can get a deal done with one of them quickly.  I mean beyond Castonzo and Hilton they have both tightends to deal with as well as some other players I think they would like to keep as well. 

I'm right there with you. Was just responding to the idea that tagging Hilton would be a tool for cap management so we could sign the other free agents. Tagging one of the TEs would be more beneficial from a cap management standpoint.

Well my thought process was that is tagging Hilton ment it hurt cap for just that one year..then it should not hurt long term contracts of the other plays as much. being that guarantee's are generally split up through years..but they can leave a guarantee out one year and double up on a consecutive year.  Was just thinking it made signing easier for other players because there is no hurt in following years if we had signed Hilton to a long term. and able to hold the guy another year.

For what it's worth.....

Here's a projection for TY Hilton done by Spotrac....    a website that specializes in contracts,  and forecasts for stars for their next big deal...

I'd recommend you scroll down toward the bottom.....    you'll find a home-town discount deal....   a max contract deal....   and a contract that roughly splits the difference between the two......

Check it out.....

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/updated-contract-forecast-ty-hilton-531/

Well my thought process was that is tagging Hilton ment it hurt cap for just that one year..then it should not hurt long term contracts of the other plays as much. being that guarantee's are generally split up through years..but they can leave a guarantee out one year and double up on a consecutive year.  Was just thinking it made signing easier for other players because there is no hurt in following years if we had signed Hilton to a long term. and able to hold the guy another year.

Not really how it works. The tag is guaranteed, and as a one year contract, it all hits the cap in one year, at a fixed cap number. And it would be the same year that the other players you're thinking about become free agents.

I think the best course of action is to extend everyone except the TEs right now, if we want to keep them all. That's the way to get a little bit of a discount on these long term deals, but I don't see that happening. Especially not for Luck and Hilton.