Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner

Colts rock

Nice article on how Werner a German native got exposed to American football in Connecticut until he landed in Indianapolis. It's not easy learning new customs & studying abroad. Rather than playing a game in London every year, why not devise a cheaper mechanism to let NFL fans in Europe to watch games earlier? Anyway, thanks for the article Superman & I admire the courage it took for Werner to leave his parents & homeland for a new game he learned on the fly that he gelled with very quickly. 

I would modify it, so don't have a 4 quarter attention span.

Agreed.    I just didn't want to be called a "hater"....

Trying to lower my profile this off-season....      Would like to stay out of the line of fire....       :hide:           :giveup:

Trying to lower my profile this off-season....      Would like to stay out of the line of fire....       :hide:           :giveup:

"Would like to stay out of the line of fire"

Haven't you learned by now that's not possible...Say what ya got to say and be proud of it right or wrong. Everyone here who has been around a significant amount of time knows I aint always said the popular thing

You're not a "hater" NCF. You're 1 of the smartest writers & contributors on this forum that I enjoy reading. No need to respond my friend. Just know that along with your detractors; you also have your admirers. Enough said. Like Gavin so eloquently said, never be afraid to speak your mind & be yourself. 

"Would like to stay out of the line of fire"

Haven't you learned by now that's not possible...Say what ya got to say and be proud of it right or wrong. Everyone here who has been around a significant amount of time knows I aint always said the popular thing

Appreciate the kind words....    really,  I do....

But, I've gotten myself into trouble lately by engaging a little too much and saying the wrong thing.

So,  while it's the quiet time,  I thought I'd go as low-key as I could....

I'm sure things will get more heated when the regular season arrives,  and I'm sure I'll be in the middle of it....

I think this should be a fascinating year for the Colts....    really looking forward to a great year....    :thmup:

You're not a "hater" NCF. You're 1 of the smartest writers & contributors on this forum that I enjoy reading. No need to respond my friend. Just know that along with your detractors; you also have your admirers. Enough said. Like Gavin so eloquently said, never be afraid to speak your mind & be yourself. 

Thanks, SW1....

It's not that I'm afraid to speak my mind....   I've just spoken it a little too bluntly lately....    working off some "demerits" here....

I should be back at full strength sometime in August....       I need to be a good boy while it's the quiet time of year....

Once the season gets going I need to be at full strength.....

Ironically,  during the regular season,  I try to be a peacemaker....   things will get heated and crazy here....   especially after a loss...    it's during those time that I try to restore calm....   I don't always succeed,  but I do try....

I think this is going to be the most interesting year of the four since I arrived....   I hope Colts fans will have a lot to look forward to and enjoy!      

Thanks again for the kind words....                  :worthy:

this could be his year to become a monster, remember jerry hughs, don't give up too quick

First TRich was going to be the next Marshawn Lynch and now Werner is going to be the next Jerry Hughes. I'm not holding my breath.

During draft season, Dustin posted a report showing the correlation for edge rushers between two or three speed/explosion Combine drills and success in the pros. I can't find it now, but I think it was 40 time, 10 yard split, and vertical. Pass rushers who don't grade out well on those drills typically don't do much in the NFL, and I think Werner was below average in all three of them.

He doesn't have good bend, at least not consistently.

Big and strong, and a reasonably decent mover in space. But that's all kind of peripheral to being a good edge rusher.

Here you go The short shuttle run measures change of direction speed, burst, and hip flexibility. DeMarcus Ware had a jaw-dropping 4.07 second short shuttle, and Jevon Kearse ran the short shuttle twice with an average time of 4.12 seconds. No elite edge rusher has emerged from any round of the NFL Draft since at least 1999 with a short shuttle slower than 4.42 seconds.

Werner ran a 4.40 Keep hope alive

I still have faith in him. I've been watching a lot of his film lately. And after thinking about it, he was really hot those few weeks, then his production just dropped. I honestly think injuries may have slowed him down. My question is, what kind if stat line must Werner have to redeem himself? I think he will surprise. My prediction is

50 tackles, 6 sacks, a forced fumble or two.

Thoughts??

I have zero confidence in him. What hope I had disappeared when he was a healthy scratch in the playoff games last year. I'm surprised he's even on the roster at all at this point. 

Play Werner at his natural position, the SAM, and lets see what he can do. All those who say he doesn't possess the natural bend to be a successful EDGE rusher are correct; he just doesn't have that tool. But he has shown some very good instincts at the SAM. Why not go with the obvious proof that he isn't what they thought they drafted and play him where he can succeed? I think he could be a pleasant surprise. 

Play Werner at his natural position, the SAM, and lets see what he can do. All those who say he doesn't possess the natural bend to be a successful EDGE rusher are correct; he just doesn't have that tool. But he has shown some very good instincts at the SAM. Why not go with the obvious proof that he isn't what they thought they drafted and play him where he can succeed? I think he could be a pleasant surprise. 

That's pretty much what he's been doing.  He played Rush more last year due to the Mathis suspension/injury, but I'd venture to say he's still played more Sam than Rush since coming into the league.

That's pretty much what he's been doing.  He played Rush more last year due to the Mathis suspension/injury, but I'd venture to say he's still played more Sam than Rush since coming into the league.

This is my hope.  Mathis coming back means players are going to be playing more suited positions which usually means great things for everyone.

I haven't charted it or anything, but Werner has played plenty of Sam the last two years.