Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Caldwell, A Qb Coach, Can't Even Evaluate Qb's How Can He Be Trusted As Our Head Coach Going Forward?

GoGoColts

First of all, i don't think its Caldwell's job to eveluate QBs.

Secondly, maybe 25% of ALL the starting QBs in the league are quality starters, let alone the backups.

Who would you suggest Painter was replaced with? Good luck(no pun intended) with that answer.

People are CRYING about carrying Luck(who should be a good one) with Manning.

People seem to want it both ways. They want a GOOD back-up but they don't want to pay good $ money for a quality back-up.

It doesn't work that way.

20+ teams in the league are looking for a STARTING QB they can win with let alone a back-up.

And now some think Orlovsky should be the full-time back-up going into the future? He's won 2 GAMES! (against 2 not-so-good teams) Personally, I need to see more than that.

Secondly, maybe 25% of ALL the starting QBs in the league are quality starters, let alone the backups.

Who would you suggest Painter was replaced with? Good luck(no pun intended) with that answer.

People seem to want it both ways. They want a GOOD back-up but they don't want to pay good $ money for a quality back-up.

20+ teams in the league are looking for a STARTING QB they can win with let alone a back-up.

And now some think Orlovsky should be the full-time back-up going into the future? He's won 2 GAMES! (against 2 not-so-good teams) Personally, I need to see more than that.

He's the head coach. He should recognize during practice and preseason.

How many reps did Manning have this season? Yet it took Caldwell 13 weeks to see what many saw during training camp? Orlovsky > Painter...

Orlovsky was signed pre-season and never had the grips of the offense yet why the Colts released him and signed K. Collins and we all know the story from here.

Orlovsky never really accomplished anything except the 0-16 with Detroit.

Painter, however, had the support of his team and "should have" been the logical #2.

Its tuff to access painter when he seemingly never got enough snaps to be evaluated.

As others have stated, not many QBs could have stepped into this offense and been successful. It was so tailored to manning's skillset.

Orlovsky never really accomplished anything except the 0-16 with Detroit.

Painter, however, had the support of his team and "should have" been the logical #2.

Its tuff to access painter when he seemingly never got enough snaps to be evaluated.

As others have stated, not many QBs could have stepped into this offense and been successful. It was so tailored to manning's skillset.

That is why a good coach would have altered the offense in training camp when they knew it was extremely unlikely for Manning to play this season. Caldwell failed at that.

That is why a good coach would have altered the offense in training camp when they knew it was extremely unlikely for Manning to play this season. Caldwell failed at that.

True but I'm not sure anyone was getting good info on manning.

Also, everyone seems to think that its Polian's call..... not caldwell's.

Plus, like all of us, I'm sure caldwell and Polian never thought there would be this much of a drop-off in production from the QB spot. NO ONE did.

Then there's that stupid "next man up", " do what we do" philosophy.

haha...... plus, its no secret where you stand on Caldwell. One only needs to look at your sig.

True but I'm not sure anyone was getting good info on manning.

Also, everyone seems to think that its Polian's call..... not caldwell's.

Plus, like all of us, I'm sure caldwell and Polian never thought there would be this much of a drop-off in production from the QB spot. NO ONE did.

Then there's that stupid "next man up", " do what we do" philosophy.

haha...... plus, its no secret where you stand on Caldwell. One only needs to look at your sig.

They had enough info to know they needed to bring Collins in, and I don't care how long Polian has been in the game, no quarterback is going to master this offense from a conceptual stand point in 48 hours.

Polian & Caldwell have to share the blame, but there is no reason for Collins with a couple of weeks, or Painter should have been running Manning's offense.

Just calling em like i see em :)

For what it's worth, Jason LaCanfora of NFL network said he spent time with Jim Irsay at the league meeting in Dallas and quoted Irsay saying he would "look at the totality of all 16 weeks and where they are as an organization moving forward before they make a decision" about Jim Caldwell.

LaCanfora added "it's awful hard to sell status-quo after 13 straight losses." He also claimed to have spoken with a lot of GMs and execs around the league, and they expect the Colts to be shopping for a new head coach this off-season.

I'm rooting for Jon Gruden to be the new Colts HC. At least he'll bring some fire and passion to the job, and he's made it abundantly clear how much he loves Peyton.

I doubt that Painter was just standing around brushing his hair the whole time.

Your right on that because Painter ran the whole training camp completely and they didn't alter anything because Painter knew the play book and could run the O without changing things. I worked at training camp and I saw almost every practice at least as much as I could. I keep hearing that Peyton didn't let Painter take any snaps and some how I can't believe all of that. Even at previous training camps Painter took snaps as well as Peyton. Just my take on the Painter situation.

So the head coach is afraid of the quarter back?

tThe QB, THE GM, THE OWNER, PAT MAC. AND HIS RED FLAG. the only thing he is not afraid of is making a tee with both

hands at the wrong time from time to time to time to time!Please Mr. Irsay get us a real coach and don't let these last 3 meaningless wins change the fact that our staff is the worst in football. When you have something no one else would want, is it an asset?

You an dipstick!

Caldwell is the HEAD COACH! It is ALWAYS the head coach's job to evaluate the talent.

Furthermore, no one is calling Orlovsky the savior. BUT, Orlovsky was better than Painter in the pre-season. Wanna debate that? Any dipstick fan knew could see that! But somehow...Caldwell missed it.

You an dipstick!

Caldwell is the HEAD COACH! It is ALWAYS the head coach's job to evaluate the talent.

Furthermore, no one is calling Orlovsky the savior. BUT, Orlovsky was better than Painter in the pre-season. Wanna debate that? Any dipstick fan knew could see that! But somehow...Caldwell missed it.

"You an dipstick!" ? I can't..... I just can't................. I agree with the rest of your post but wow.