Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bpa

OLD FAN MAN

You're barking up all kinds of the wrong trees, you pose, and you whine too much. Ignore.

...and you add no value to the conversation and only appear to cause trouble or instigate a fight.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.......see schwamm.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? This is a post about pro's/con's of drafting based upon BPA. Everyone keeps saying "strict adherence to BPA was why we got Dorsett" and the question was what if WR had been the BPA at each of our picks, or QB, or punter, kicker, etc. Would we keep taking them if they were the BPA? I only added those additional scenarios because some folks just don't get it or just choose to be argumentative (like schwamm above).

Most of you naysayers are the ones who keep throwing up straw men or changing the topic, scenario, etc. until it suits your position (QB's are BPA only in round #1, Ray Guy, etc), pffttt...whatever.

And I answered your question about QB's and. punters.  But-

Your quote-

"So what would we do, keep trading down until we select 14 rookies in round 7 (with half being cut at camp)..."

Name a team and time when this has ever happened...ever...  Try like never.  So why pollute the discussion with it?

is it wiser for a gm to draft bpa when that position is filled and the pick sits on the bench until a space is available or draft bpa for a position of need who can start and upgrade and play now? did grigs make a good first?

Maybe Grigs took Dorsett because he likes him. Maybe he sees him as the next Marvin Harrison? Sometimes you don't pass up the next Jerry Rice for the next Josh Chapman regardless of need.

Okay...let's change the topic again...maybe something will stick.

You gave a suggestion, I followed up, it proved a red herring. No help.

I told you you might find info about drafting for need by checking Atlanta.  That means not just how many, but who (good players, stars, or just good enough to be better than what's out there?) and how has it turned out toward their improving their team versus others.  The goal to drafting is to get better and win, right? Your point is that drafting for need makes you better than drafting for best talent, right? If not, just what is your point?

Maybe Grigs took Dorsett because he likes him. Maybe he sees him as the next Marvin Harrison? Sometimes you don't pass up the next Jerry Rice for the next Josh Chapman regardless of need.

Somehow, I gottta like this.  Yes, might be a little over the top type comparison... but OTOH... a sliver of truth there ...   and you never know what will grow out from that sliver of truth.

And I answered your question about QB's and. punters.  But-

Your quote-

"So what would we do, keep trading down until we select 14 rookies in round 7 (with half being cut at camp)..."

Name a team and time when this has ever happened...ever...  Try like never.  So why pollute the discussion with it?

So since BPA only applies when someone says it applies and it doesn't apply when they say it doesn't....and it applies with some players but not with others and it applies in some situations but not in others........based upon the whims or interpretation of the presenter....it's not really a rule or hard/fast game plan........it really means nothing........got it.

Guess that ends the subject. Thanks

So since BPA only applies when someone says it applies and it doesn't apply when they say it doesn't....and it applies with some players but not with others and it applies in some situations but not in others........based upon the whims or interpretation of the presenter....it's not really a rule or hard/fast game plan........it really means nothing........got it.

Guess that ends the subject. Thanks

Do you know whatt a war room is?  Do you know who and how many are in there?  Have you seen the boards of a teams draft room? It's not one guy reading the mocks of fan forums, and checking CBS, NFL.com SI, and Walterfootball; then deciding best player and the position of need as determined by the fan base and media heads.  Take a look!

war%20room1_zpsfmzjzjcl.png

war%20room2_zpsjs4tknc4.png

These boards were created over nearly a years worth of work by many scouts and the teams coaches and GM.  It's a consensus.  One guy can't do it all, it's a team effort, including the ranking/grading of the players on the board.  Once a consensus  on final grouping is agreed upon, no more tinkering or deviating form the list is tolerated.

Most teams take the guy on their list that is highest ranking based upon all of that data and collective interpretation and some gut feelings. a few other take the highest ranking guy on the list, but from those at a position determined as a priority hole to fill. So, it's always BPA, but either overall disregarding position, (take best talent and go), or Best talent at position where team may have a perceived hole. Colts do the former, many here would prefer the latter.

10 out of 10 sir. And just perhaps, we didn't rate Brown or Collins etc., or at least highly enough to spend a first rounder on.

I think he should have drafted the best available defensive player. Dorsett might have been the best overall player on the board but Goldman and Collins would have had a bigger impact. Dorsett is a good player, but Luck threw 40 TD's last year without him. Offense wasn't the problem, it was the defense and we didn't do much to upgrade it. The year Werner was drafted I wanted Xavier Rhodes, he was clearly a better prospect. It's the same this year, I think Grigson will regret not drafting Goldman. 

oooohh....now with the personal attacks! Very nice.

Better make sure you clear that browser history before your mom gets home.

my apologies. That was not my intention.  Just trying to stress the point that this is being discussed EVERYWHERE on this forum. Just not sure how it could be missed.

Nope, he has the speed to draw away from defenders on slants and crossing routes. Drives defenders deep because of his burst and speed. While his routes and breaks get better, he still has plenty of weapon to beat defenders in man an zone.  Not just the deep ball.  Who did you want at #29?

Heard that about T.Y. and it took him 3 years to get route running down.

You can't change my mind on what I saw on tape.  Only Dorsett can on the field.